Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clotheslines

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Anybody use a clothesline? If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and put one up. We use the line most of the time instead of the electric dryer which is suppose to be bad on clothes anyway. Anyway, I try to do my share of conserving energy while saving a little money. My clothes smell better too;)

chucklehead

A-List Customer
PeeWee said:
Anybody use a clothesline? If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and put one up. We use the line most of the time instead of the electric dryer which is suppose to be bad on clothes anyway. Anyway, I try to do my share of conserving energy while saving a little money. My clothes smell better too;)

just for my socks. its up in my bathrm. ( just like the hotels have w/ the stretchy cord)

clothesline.jpg

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Ditto...

We have one...sort of. One of the posts broke over the summer and we haven't replaced it yet. I really miss it. Prior to the fall of the clothesline, I used it frequently. The plan is to replace it in the spring. There is something very homey about hanging clothes on "the line". The clothes are fresher and no wrinkles! :D

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The place we just bought has one, minus the lines themselves. On the list for this spring are beating back the pine tree that overhangs the post and restringing the lines for use. I can't wait to use it and I'm hoping Santa will put some clothespins in my stocking!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I used one when I was in Quebec, but couldn't convince my folks to let me install one here, so I have to wait till I'm in a position to get my own place, loved it though, my clothes smelled lovely, felt softer, and I saved a good ten or fifteen dollars a week not using the laundromat:D

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've have on that I use off and on. I used the one at the last place more.With the current place I need to get to get to the laundry quickly after it dries or the pollen and such is all over it.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I've got one of these thingies in the garden -

111-8500203A67UC315412M.jpg

It does take up most of the garden though. I have a combo washer/dryer, and I like to tumble dry my towels for 10 minutes or so to get them fluffy, otherwise they go all cardboardy. And I can't use it in winter as it rains too much.

Edward

Bartender
Alas my third floor flat in inner London makes having a line impossible. I do try to dry most things on a clotheshorse, though (out on the balcony in the summer, indoors in the winter). Usually it's only stuff that's impossible for me to dry otherwise that getsw put on a dry cycle - sheets, in the main. Much prefer to dry everything naturally if possible. I also handwash a lot of my clothes rather than risk them in the washer (rinse in the machine, though) - alas I'm less good at keeping up with laundry than I am at being anal about my clothes. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
scotrace said:
I need to find a place for one. How do you use it in Wintah?

You just have to pick your times -- I do my washing first thing in the morning, when the sun hits the backyard, and as long as the temperature isn't too far below freezing it'll usually be dry enough to bring inside by the time the sun's moved out of range.

It's also important to get as much water out of the load as you can before hanging it out. When I was using my wringer washer, I'd make an extra pass or two thru the rollers to get the clothes almost-dry before putting them out on the line. With an automatic washer, an extra spin cycle is helpful.

It also helps that winters just aren't as cold as they used to be here -- I have many childhood memories of standing frozen towels next to the kitchen stove to thaw them out!

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Living on the 2nd floor in a condo I can use a wooden drying rack for all except towels and bedding.

However do admitt to using a drycleaners for my slacks.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Clotheslines banned in some places...

I heard this clothesline story earlier this year and found the link here.

My grandmother insisted on hanging most of her laundry. I remember she had strict rules on how it was to be done, but since she wouldn't let anyone else do it, I never really learned what the rules were. [huh]

I like the idea of a clothesline, and I use a line inside the house for some laundry, but I fear one outside would run afoul of 1) the dogs, and 2) this everlastin' Oregon rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner