Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've always loved brown but I can only wear the darkest chocolate browns and grey-browns I have a rusty brown knit dress that I used to wear with deep petrol "turquoise" turtleneck until the top looked too scraggly even under something else. I don't know what I can wear with the dress other than a black turtleneck. Chocolate brown and brown in general doesn't seem fashionable at least not in any deep shades that would suit me.

de-stressed

New in Town
Miss Sis said:
I had the same problem many years ago when I dyed my dark blonde hair auburn (on purpose).

I got tired of it quite quickly as it seemed the only colours I could wear were green and navy! I'm an Autumn, so I didn't expect that to happen. Brown wasn't at all fashionable then, so I didn't go there but I remember I had a mustard top that looked really nice before and just awful afterwards! Anything in the pink/red/ornage shades clashed terribly.

Can you try toning down colours that looked good before? You haven't mentioned what 'season' you are.

Miss Sis , I was a Spring, but now with the hair color change I think I'm an Autumn. Thanks for the suggestion of toning down the colors! My budget is limited right now but I'm going to keep my eye open to different variations of what used to work.

This is day three with the new color and there are moments when I like the change. It's slowly growing on me. When my hair was blonde I always straightened it but now that its auburn it looks best with my natural curl [huh]

Lillemor, what about a cream colored blouse for your knit dress? I love the darker colors too but when I look at my closet it has a LOT of blacks in it. I am going to attempt to stay away from buying anything black for the next while (I say this after I've bought a black dress on etsy). lol

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
just to throw my 2 cents in....

i love all colours really except black. i rarely wear black. even at the office i think it's too officey!

i love brown and cream as a colour combo, unfortunately i am the type that can't wear light colours and not spill :rolleyes:

i really wish i could find more clothes in teal - i love it but it doesn't seem very fashionable. oh, actually, mustard is a colour i don't really care for. it's nice on some, it makes me look sallow.

Vaihingen

New in Town
Unless I'm going to an event where I want to be more period correct, I like to have a bit of a dieselpunk vibe going on with my 30s-40s wardrobe. For me that means a lot of browns and maybe some greens. To stop it from being boring though I break up the textures and make sure I'm not wearing the same fabric allover. Again, though, there's the issue of how authentic you're going for!

Has anyone had a chance to see some of the 40s 'wardrobe plans' over at glamourdaze.com? It's really a great source of inspiration for me

Edit: I think teal looks great with a tan ;)

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Hopefully this will help, as I've been "diagnosed" as an autumn. :) I have auburn hair and greenish-hazel eyes with pale skin.

I like greens, but they look better as mossy or olive-y greens. the bright grass and kelly overshadows me. I do like a dark emerald though.
Blue looks good on me in almost any shade. Navy does play up my paleness, but cobalt really goes well with my hair.
Yellows that aren't too pale or too bright are good, but no mustardy shades.
Browns, warm camels and tans, "earth" tones are great.
Autumns can supposedly wear orange or rust, but I just look like a fat pumpkin in it.
Red is ok if it's not too much, and it must be a true blue-ish red. orange-y red make me look like I have jaundice.
Pink and orange are right out, but I don't like them anyway. Any shade, whether rose, fuschia, coral, anything.
True black makes me look too pale and washed out, Goth-look.
Pastels are too light for me in any color.
warm ivories, cream, etc are good. true white or off-white actually wash me out and make me look tired.
Hope that helps!

carmine

New in Town
This is a fairly old thread, but in case anyone's looking over it I have noticed a few outfits which are a combination of green and purple and others of orange and black from advertising and catalogs from the 1930's. Maybe not every shade of each, but I think they look great when they do work.

Marzena

One of the Regulars
I've always loved brown but I can only wear the darkest chocolate browns and grey-browns I have a rusty brown knit dress that I used to wear with deep petrol "turquoise" turtleneck until the top looked too scraggly even under something else. I don't know what I can wear with the dress other than a black turtleneck. Chocolate brown and brown in general doesn't seem fashionable at least not in any deep shades that would suit me.

Interesting combinations with rust brown: deep red, rich royal blue and royal purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner