Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
But they say these colors are better on her. I think these colors are just plain boring on her, they turn her into a real plain Jane.

drewbarrymorerightcolors1.jpg

drewbarrymorerightcolors2.jpg

I think she just needs some darker lipstick and some jewelry.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
examples of Clear Spring AND Light Spring...

Just in case any might be thinking I only talk the talk but do not also walk the walk... Hope these pics are helpful.

I have worn more of my brighter/stronger colors in my Spring palette in about the last 5-10 years. With age and maturity (I'm 50-1/2) I've become even more color confident. When younger I wore much more of the lighter shades, as does now my almost 15yo DD. Though I can still look good in any of my Spring colors. Here's an example or two (or seven!) showing me in modern and vintage clothes I have with both.

Note* in all these pics I am wearing the same makeup shades, with only perhaps the pink geranium lippy being switched for the 40s orange-red shade, or with one shade layered on top of the other.

some Clear Spring, brighter shades in my palette:

Yes, I wear this modern linen dress on a regular basis! One of my very favorites. First time worn with the knit pink gloves, decided after seeing these pics, that the dress is FAR better without them. It really can stand on its own. EVERY color on this dress -EXCEPT for the deep red between the watermelon pink and the orange is a perfect color for a Spring! The upper part is periwinkle! Forget the black veil here, again better without the veiled hat. Wearing red-orange red pumps.
Another favorite. Violet pashmina shawl, with a cream silk chiffon dress w/ light and med violet (med violet reads blue here- but actually matches the shawl color perfectly) light pastel pink, clear bright warm pink.
362414134.jpg
361205557.jpg
The WRONG RED!! This vintage 40s topper hat is too deep and is blue-red, but the trim is the right red. Feather and ribbon are both an orange-red, go figure! I completely fell for the trims and the shape of this hat, plus the very large intact veil. I kept it in the box for two weeks after getting it, telling the seller I wanted to send it back. Her pics looked lighter and orange- red, why I bought it. Finally decided to keep it anyway!
361137899.jpg
Modern orange-red knit Tango dress. Crayon box bright blue knit top by RL, RL silk charmeuse skirt is same crayon blue, cream and black. Black is okay for me in this print, as its away from my face.
359851297.jpg
359852133.jpg

two Light Spring shades:

vintage peachy-pink 40s rayon print dress.The print has kelly green, navy and cream! Worn with kelly green hat, lt. yellow-creamy pearls, blue gloves and bright navy shoes.
Vintage peach silk hand embroidered blouse. Vintage 40s tilt hat has peach flocked dots in the netting! Yellow-cream and warm peach-pink flowers. Worn with a light peach linen tea length skirt. Earrings are light orange/coral and cream cameos, I have another similar vintage silk blouse that is light warm aqua.
358982573.jpg
362297537.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I seem to fit in the Autumn category, but I'm curious as to what the experts say?
I'm on the left to the lovely Laura Chase in this photo. The colours of that dress, black and cool, bold colours, don't seem to do anything for me whatsoever (I like the dress anyway, though, and wear it regardless lol ) These are the kind of colours that I usually go for.

I have chestnut brown or medium to dark brown hair with red-ish glints, hazel eyes and a warm, sometimes even yellow skintone. Thanks in advance! :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
I seem to fit in the Autumn category, but I'm curious as to what the experts say?
I'm on the left to the lovely Laura Chase in this photo. The colours of that dress, black and cool, bold colours, don't seem to do anything for me whatsoever (I like the dress anyway, though, and wear it regardless lol ) These are the kind of colours that I usually go for.

I have chestnut brown or medium to dark brown hair with red-ish glints, hazel eyes and a warm, sometimes even yellow skintone. Thanks in advance! :)

I agree with everything you've said. The brown t-shirt looks better on you than the black dress.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Thanks for your opinion, Paisley. Good to know that I'm not completely off track.

Chanteusecarey, it's amazing how flattering peach is. It seems to enhance almost every skintone, doesn't it? I wonder if that's why it was the most common colour for lingerie.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
another "leveler" color...

In CMB, they mention periwinkle being a good color for most. They said its a good one if one has to dress a bevy of bridesmaids...

ShrinkingViolet said:
Thanks for your opinion, Paisley. Good to know that I'm not completely off track.

Chanteusecarey, it's amazing how flattering peach is. It seems to enhance almost every skintone, doesn't it? I wonder if that's why it was the most common colour for lingerie.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
That color looks like a med. periwinkle shade

Hello Mary, I didn't forget about you my dear- everybody else got you covered I think! Though as it appears you are a Summer, I'd like to test just a couple more colors on you.

Can you get to a clothes shop and they'd let you take a pic or two like you did here these aren't colors in your closet? I've gone so far as to buy a 1/2 meter of fabric to have for color swatching- but then I tend to be over the top about things sometimes (okay usually!)...

You look lovely in the lighter pastels, that turquoise is good, but try it in a pastel version. That Blue-grey that matches your eyes is terrific!

Let's see a pastel (baby) pink on you and a burgundy. And a charcoal gray and a rose brown (not chocolate).

This medium/deep periwinkle looks really good, as does the pastel yellow .

Mary said:
I took some pic 6.30 this morning. I thought that'd bring a true light to my face. I'm hoping you could help me find what colous suits me best?! Maybe they are all wrong, what horror!

A cerise/ dark pink one.

2009_0423palett0007.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't know what it is called in English

2009_0423palett0009.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
Help?

I'm having trouble finding my season and what colors look best on me. I was tol in the Interesting Ideas thread that I can get help here. Here are some pics of me. If anyone can tell me my season I would be grateful.
100_1923-1.jpg

100_1316-2.jpg

This is my first time trying to post pics so I hope it worked.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Winter sweetie!

Blue-Red, icy pastels, black, white, chinese (deep) red, royal blue, royal purple, emerald green (plus other colors, those just popped into my head first), silver accessories. Winters have it easy to find clothes! Liz Taylor, Anne Hathaway.

JennyLou said:
I'm having trouble finding my season and what colors look best on me. I was tol in the Interesting Ideas thread that I can get help here. Here are some pics of me. If anyone can tell me my season I would be grateful.
100_1923-1.jpg

100_1316-2.jpg

This is my first time trying to post pics so I hope it worked.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Thank you so much. I'm so glad I'm a winter. I love those colors. I think I knew all along without knowing that I knew it because those are the colors I tend to wear. Thank you again.

Mary

Practically Family
Haha. Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I will try those colours out and post them here. It'll be fun to experiment a bit and go outside the box.

chanteuseCarey said:
Hello Mary, I didn't forget about you my dear- everybody else got you covered I think! Though as it appears you are a Summer, I'd like to test just a couple more colors on you.

Can you get to a clothes shop and they'd let you take a pic or two like you did here these aren't colors in your closet? I've gone so far as to buy a 1/2 meter of fabric to have for color swatching- but then I tend to be over the top about things sometimes (okay usually!)...

You look lovely in the lighter pastels, that turquoise is good, but try it in a pastel version. That Blue-grey that matches your eyes is terrific!

Let's see a pastel (baby) pink on you and a burgundy. And a charcoal gray and a rose brown (not chocolate).

This medium/deep periwinkle looks really good, as does the pastel yellow .

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm a winter but I don't love the colors. I have a SIL who's either a Spring or a Fall. I'm envious of her and she's envious of me because the other one can wear the colors we prefer. But I know that I'm only cheating myself if I wear colors I like but don't suit me. So when I won't accept that there are certain colors that aren't my best, I try to find the clearest shade of it if I'm going to wear it close to my face, or else wear it away from my face but then I make sure that my accessories or what I'm wearing close to my face is most flattering to me.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I've copied Mary. I won't apologize for my bare face, but I will apologize for the fuzzy eyebrows - I'm growing them out so they look awful!

In my opinion, the light pink, light blue and yellow don't suit me. Of the print fabric swatches, the green jungle print doesn't suit me.

What about the other colors? To me they look fine, but what do I know. lol

Light pink:
3488432410_13140f2055.jpg

Purple 1:
3488432514_d287f71f14.jpg

Purple 2:
3487618897_1fa8c5a4de.jpg

Purple 3:
3488433514_e304aeb56f.jpg

Dark gray:
3488432766_bcc7ce32f8.jpg

Silver gray:
3487618969_4f35b7cf7b.jpg

Dark green:
3487619115_0ce555d45a.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
The purples, blues and greys in deeper shades appear to suit you but that's just judging by how I see the colors on my screen. I agree, the jungle print doesn't suit you but I think khaki or olive green would??? I think both the brown suits you but what do I know...Some icier or greyer shades in pale blue might suit you and I think teal does too. Again; I'm no expert! The fruits print is nice.

Are you a Fall or a Fall with winter influences? Maybe you suit the mid tones of the winter palette better than me like Elizabeth Taylor does. I suit the very bright, very deep and icy pastels. Pure white and black is good on me too. Most very fair people don't suit pure white. I said MOST so don't start arguing with me if you're one of the few fairs who for one or other reason suit pure white. I've yet to see it.

If you're a winter, then douche pastels won't suit you but you CAN wear pastels; just keep them clear or icy.

At first you clearly looked like a Fall to me but now I think you look like a winter. Maybe Fall with winter influences or winter with Fall influences.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey and Paisley are pretty sure I'm a winter, and I agree, I'm not a fall because I can wear black beautifully. I think it was just the red hair that made you think I'm a fall. I'm not going red again any time soon.

But even though I know I'm a winter, I find that some colors out of my palette still suit me well, but maybe I'm mistaken, and that's why I posed these pictures. Just knowing what season you are doesn't make it clear, not to me at least. I think my skin is more neutral than cool, but again, I don't know. So Lillemor what does it mean to be a winter with fall influences?

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Laura, you look great in most of those colors. I like best purple 2 and 3 and the palm and fruit print. I agree the light pink, light blue and yellow are the least flattering.

Yeah, knowing the season doesn't not make all things clear to me either. But I like this idea of being a season with influence from another, which might apply in my case, as I too think I may be more of a neutral...[huh] At first I thought I was an autumn, then a winter, now I think I may be a winter with some autumn influences? :eusa_doh:
But my skin is a lot yellower than yours, Laura Chase, so maybe I'm wrong to think winter?! The winter palette is still the one I suit most colors from, except for yellow which is by far the worst color on me and I can't wear at all, unless is in minimal quantities, bright, and mixed with a lot of other bright colors, and still is lot better to leave it out altogether.
Black is not the greatest on me, although I can wear it. Same with white. Grays are really funny on me, and definitely not the best choice. Sivers are nice though. [huh]
I suit best reds, blues, purples, greens, pinks in quite a few shades from medium to dark. Intense shades, but not fluorescent. That's when I start to look sallow.
On the other hand I can't wear any pastels, I look completely washed out. Of course I covet all soft pastels!lol
It's confusing for me because I kinda feel I can wear both warm and cool colors, but really depends on the shade, which makes it all more difficult.
It's funny with reds, because I think I can wear both orange reds and blue reds, red seems to work on me even if its very bright. Or so I think...

crazydaisy

Practically Family
1fab04730.jpg

Maybe I am a deep winter - I can see the rust, and tomato red are in this palette- which I would have thought to be autumn colours...
Yet some of the shades here look a bit cool and washy to me...?!

I think winter III is better. It is the only palette which seems to have a mix of cool and warm shades - and thse are the ones work best for me, with the exceptions I mentioned above.
d4662810.png

Why does it have to be cool, deep and clear winter and then winter I, II, III? One is getting VERY confused now...

Or maybe I am an autumn with winter influences?! This is autumn:
d41663f0.png

The reds on the second half of bottom image are great on me. But not orange, not gold, nothing of the kind. From the top I can wear the teal and the green, also some browns, but I feel if it's too earthy is no good.

:( I can't even establish the theory of what I am and it's frustrating!
I'll see what photos I can find, maybe you gals can help...

Mary

Practically Family
Great pics Laura. I like the silver grey and the palm print the best on you, or is it only those colours I like the best?!

Great to see different purple ones. I can't make up my mind which suits you better. Hope the others are more helpful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo