Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNN article: Some buyers want time capsule homes

Bugguy

Practically Family
We bought our 1923 Tudor-style after it had been "upgraded" per the listing. First thing, we replaced every contractor-pac ceiling fixture with a period fixture we loved. Buying them over time was the greatest fun! Restoring the look was the smartest investment we could have made, plus truly upgrading the mechanicals (except for the gas boiler for the radiators.) It sold two months ago in 3 days - before it was technically listed, by word of mouth, and with no lawn sign. The young 30-somethings had been all over Cincinnati, and chose our place in the "hood".

My neighbors, however, have lived in their house of similar age for 40 years, forced a 1960's style renovation and haven't touched it since. It's neither mid-century or twenty's - it's some ill-defined point in between. Throw in some ghastly dated furniture, and I'd get hives just walking in there. It'll be a realtor's staging nightmare.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Probably the only period nobody wants is the late 70's, such as when my house was built. It had brown walls, thick brown carpet, brown and orange wagon wheel wall paper, shiny brass hardware and fixtures...It was hideous.
Bummer man, I resemble that remark. ;)
Since I usually post a picture of the Bedlie, this one features the Heeler (and her pig). Sadly the pig was ripped to shreds a month afterwards.
Orange carpet, and wood paneling.
While many people would refinish this room, we like it.
Why? Because a lot of people have neutral carpet and sheetrock, which makes this room even more unique.
019.jpg
Then of course there is my semi-shag in green. That will be replaced this year, I promise. 37yrs is as long as I can get out of Sears Best apparently. [huh]
scarlettbone.jpg
In all seriousness, as I pointed out about my paneling room, there are so many homes I see with no design at all.
Money can't usually buy design, just larger rooms with flat walls, and no breaks between areas.
My home was built in 1955, but decorated in the 70's (when the house came into my family's possession). I've repainted the walls in different colors throughout the years, but I still retain some of the furniture pieces because of their uniqueness, and because they remind me of my grandmother.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari