Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit leather B-15

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's a neat concept. The B-15 design is nice and simple, and the removable collar and liner make it very versatile. But it's priced very high for The Cockpit, which is good quality, but not great quality. Pop's Leather, which does private purchase jackets for Air Force people, makes a very similar jacket costing much less.

I won't touch on authenticity, except to say the Air Force never bought any B-15s made of leather. The WW2 version was cotton shelled and lined with alpaca - later ones were nylon shelled and lined with quilting.

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hey Fletch

Thanks a lot for the link, I didn't knew Pop's leather, nice finding! is its quality similar to Cockpit?

I won't touch on authenticity, except to say the Air Force never bought any B-15s made of leather. The WW2 version was cotton shelled and lined with alpaca - later ones were nylon shelled and lined with quilting.

You're totally right, it is not authentic at all :) Original B-15 (WWII era) and B-15A were cotton. B-15B, B-15C & B-15D were nylon, as far as I know.

What I like about the Cockpit is that it seems to be a very versatile product. You can remove the collar and the liner. Great for travelling, you only need to grab one jacket.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No personal experience, but some have compared them to Cockpit or USWings at a better price point.
Search "pop's" in the Outerwear forum and you'll see what others have written.
They're a custom operation and offer the removable collar and liner as options.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Thanks Fletch, I'm liking better the Pop's leather one :) Even they have a cheaper version in goatskin (why leather manufacturers underrate poor goats!) The Cockpit one is almost twice the price.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
sorry to jump in here but what's with Cockpit's site?

I've seen two jackets on their site that have caught my eye. The A-1 style jacket...
http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/product.php?productid=17527&cat=395&page=2
and this Roughneck Jacket...
http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/product.php?productid=17532&cat=395&page=2
The single pictures is small and don't enlarge as well as a lack of sizing information. This is frustrating as they look like good designs.
Am I missing something here, are there more details I haven't found?
They're not cheap so I guess they're well made and good quality, right??

subject101

One of the Regulars
Yep, pictures on Cockpit site are no good.

Am I missing something here, are there more details I haven't found?

I did a search with Google Images and I found bigger pictures of the B-15 that I liked. Give it a try.

I think replies on Cockpit/Avirex etc are a little mean. Until one "gets into" something, you usually are only exposed to consumer brands. It's that way with clothing, watches, etc.
We all start somewhere...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think replies on Cockpit/Avirex etc are a little mean. Until one "gets into" something, you usually are only exposed to consumer brands. It's that way with clothing, watches, etc.
We all start somewhere...
But they do take advantage of their exposure to charge a premium.
Yes, we all do start somewhere, but we don't usually start with an overpriced watch or other clothing.

BTW, one reason the pix are so small is to prevent anyone seeing any detail. Bye bye viral marketing. [huh]

But they do take advantage of their exposure to charge a premium.
Yes, we all do start somewhere, but we don't usually start with an overpriced watch or other clothing.

BTW, one reason the pix are so small is to prevent anyone seeing any detail. Bye bye viral marketing. [huh]

All good points. But, who's to know those well-known brands are overpriced until you come to a place like this? I always thought Avirex was the bomb! Then I started getting into jackets more and realized that they're decent, but not great. I still like theM when I pickup one for cheap. But now, I'm dying to get an Aero.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
All I know guys is it's a shame they don't give more information. The first jacket I mentioned does look really good. http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/product.php?productid=17527&cat=395&page=2
What I see in the small picture could work for me but the lack of close up pictures means I can't buy. The cut and style looks right and I like the colours. The makers label wouldn't sway me either way if it looked right.
I'm pretty fussy and don't usually browse sites like Cockpit. Nothing snobby it's just I know what I like and for me the quality is in the details especially with military stuff.
I'm with Fletch on this, if you've got something good to sell you don't hide it, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay