Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cockpit usa or us authentic

dsgnxa

New in Town
I wanna to buy one WWII specification A2 jacket. I'm interested in the two brands cockpit usa and us authentic. They are not so expensive and I think both of them are good brand. In us authentic, I can choose nametag, patches and some other attachments. And they can sew it on the jacket for me. But there is no this service at cockpit usa. I like the patches on the jacket so much. I think cockpit usa is a famous brand in usa. And their jackets are nice. I lkie the "band of brothers" A2 jacket for this brand because of the patch on this jacket. But they have no nametag. I'm considering the quality of the two brands. I worry about the quality for us authentic becuase I found someone said the zipper was not so good and will be out of work in a short time. Is that true? So could you please advise which one I should buy. Thank you very much.

thor

One Too Many
The US Authentic is a very thick leather and the one I bought had the zipper break after 3 months (I had it repaired with a new zipper at a local tailor and it was fine after that).It was a very nice jacket and had heavy duty horsehide. I also had a Cockpit USA jacket that was ok quality. The horsehide on that one wasn't as heavy as the US A. I would recommend the US Authentic over the Cockpit jacket; just my personal opinion.

TeeJay

New in Town
I have a B-15 bomber jacket from The Cockpit. It has a massive YKK 10 Heavy Duty Zipper. The second best zipper i have seen to date (best was a RiRi Zipper from Switzerland). The leather is thick cow or steerhide, around 1.4mm(3 1/2oz). Heavy jacket to hold in the hands, but comfortable to wear. The leather was never stiff or so, but still it becomes its best after a few years of use.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also recommend US Authentic - their cotton lining and wool knits alone make their jackets immediately closer to WW II originals than anything Cockpit offers. I had one of their horsehide jackets for around nine years, and I never had a problem with the zipper.

I agree that G&B's historic-range jackets are very good too (I have their M-422A) - arguably better - but they are more expensive than US A.

andyfalzon

Vendor
From the two I would choose Cockpit. I will agree that US Auth leather is very thick. The Cockpit I have seen had nice leather and color. You could buy both, compare keep the one you like most and return for refund the other.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
From the two I would choose Cockpit. I will agree that US Auth leather is very thick. The Cockpit I have seen had nice leather and color. You could buy both, compare keep the one you like most and return for refund the other.

Or, buy one from Cockpit AND Gibson & Barnes. Compare the two, keep the one you like. My money is betting on G&B.

I would suggest the Civil A-2. I really like the side entry "hand warmer" pockets. The fit is perfect, not overly large at all...like many would have you believe.

P1010018.jpg G&B A-2 on the left. This is the best jacket I have ever owned, bar none.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My preference would be a G&B A-2 Model 43, which is horsehide with cotton lining and great wool knits. It is one of their "historic" WW II jackets and their only historic A-2 without the stand collar.

dsgnxa

New in Town
Thank you for your replies. It is really useful to me although there are some different suggestions. It makes me know about some other nice A2 jackets from some good brands. It gives me some more choice. But I have a limited bugdet. So the brands I can choose is limited, too. I know the G&B, eastman, BK are very good. But they are very expensive. So I wanna to get a good jacket with less payment. That's why I inquire the two brands. Thank you all the same.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My preference would be a G&B A-2 Model 43, which is horsehide with cotton lining and great wool knits. It is one of their "historic" WW II jackets and their only historic A-2 without the stand collar.

Let me add that while you can spend more money, you will be hard pressed to find a jacket of better quality from any manufacturer. There are those who have their personal bias towards one company or another, but Fanch has visited the G&B manufacturing center, so you can take his recommendations to the bank as far as I'm concerned.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dsgnxa, you must be sure of sizing since you are shown to live in China since any return or exchange would be expensive for you. My size 44 (long) Aero Bronco A-2 fits tighter than a size 40T (long) G&B historic A-2 Model 31, at least based on my experience. Whenever a jacket doesn't work out for me, it is invariably related to incorrect fit. Always ask for accurate measurements, particularly pit to pit, sleeves, shoulder, and body. Good luck with your quest.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Gibson and Barnes Air Force A-2 and Civil A-2 are in the same price range as US Authentic and Cockpit. Both are priced at $398.
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293976/Air-Force-A2.html
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293975/Civil-A2.html

I still prefer G&B Mark 43. You get what you pay for.
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293968/Type-A2-Mark-43.html

Please help me out here...my G&B A-2 is perfect in every way that I can imagine. It is cowhide, and has side entry pockets (love them!), so it is not what the anal retentive (and you know who you are!) will select as their own jacket as it is not a true replica AAF WWII jacket. You have seen the photos here of my jacket, so you know what the appearance is.

But for the price ($398) it is as good as you can get. These jackets are made from a single hide of very good quality/heavy material. Absolute perfect stitching and seams. The cuffs and waistband are awesome in appearance...do not think I would like 100% wool here.
And the fit is spot on through the arms / shoulders and length. Not "blousy" at all in the waist area. Again, my jacket is a 42R, and I'm 5' 11", 172 lbs.

So tell me how the Mark 43 is an improvement on this? Just curious, you know!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Different skins (chrome tanned goat vs. horsehide), linings (dark brown twill vs. light brown cotton), knits (polyester vs. worsted wool), different drape and fit (loose/blousy vs. snug), high volume (current USAF issue) vs. low volume (historic jacket). Just my impressions from trying on stuff while at G&B. I could, of course, be wrong but just my impressions. I believe that Dave Marshall might still have excellent videos on the G&B website. Don't worry .. it is all good but all about preference.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Different skins (chrome tanned goat vs. horsehide), linings (dark brown twill vs. light brown cotton), knits (polyester vs. worsted wool), different drape and fit (loose/blousy vs. snug), high volume (current USAF issue) vs. low volume (historic jacket). Just my impressions from trying on stuff while at G&B. I could, of course, be wrong but just my impressions. I believe that Dave Marshall might still have excellent videos on the G&B website. Don't worry .. it is all good but all about preference.

Thanks! Good to have your insight on this. I am very much "sold" on G&B and plan to have them custom make a cloth A-2 for my Dad, complete with his WWII Patches and medals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21