Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktail Cabinets

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
The thread reminds me of Davey Warbeck in Nancy Mitford's Pursuit of love, (1947)speaking of the period between the two world wars, "People will be interested in it for all the wrong reasons, and collect Lalique Dressing table sets and shagreen boxes, and cocktail cabinets lined with looking glass, and find them terribly amusing""

3997745210_8b0eeb376d.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keep on topic please :)

:eek:fftopic: Binkie - lay off that Aussie Grog please and keep on topic - this place isn't for Nancy's ;) It's for Cocktail Cabinets - Cheers mate!

Now make mine a Cosmopolitan my man!!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"After the Hon Cory Worthington, posted an open invitation, on spaceface? to one of my KT parties, my BIG cabinet could not cope!

3741918901_f8f1e50810.jpg

I had to Fax a photograph of Nancy Mitfords Cocktail Cabinet, the one she Had in Cheyne walk, to Ho Chi Minh City, and have a copy whipped up" now if the crowd gets a bit larger than one anticipated I can wheel this down to the other end of the drawing room, situation solved!"

3742687286_25b8c5f92e.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
The thread reminds me of Davey Warbeck in Nancy Mitford's Pursuit of love, (1947)speaking of the period between the two world wars, "People will be interested in it for all the wrong reasons, and collect Lalique Dressing table sets and shagreen boxes, and cocktail cabinets lined with looking glass, and find them terribly amusing""
How absolutely prescient of her! Though I can't agree such collecting is for the "wrong" reasons. I might collect an interwar piece - say a 1920s fan - and think it's terribly amusing, but that's not all I'm collecting. I'm collecting an era. These are pieces of social history. Does one pick up a Lewis chessman and think it a terribly amusing but inconsequential remnant of the 12th century?

Not all history can be profound missives sent by world leaders, or one off unique works of art.

Personally, I'd revel in a Lalique dressing table set :)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Mojito said:
How absolutely prescient of her! Though I can't agree such collecting is for the "wrong" reasons. I might collect an interwar piece - say a 1920s fan - and think it's terribly amusing, but that's not all I'm collecting. I'm collecting an era. These are pieces of social history. Does one pick up a Lewis chessman and think it a terribly amusing but inconsequential remnant of the 12th century?

Not all history can be profound missives sent by world leaders, or one off unique works of art.

Personally, I'd revel in a Lalique dressing table set :)

Miss Mojito

"They honestly are a lovely read, I know you will love them"

SameRound

New in Town
Hello to all.
I address especially to Mixmaster because we have the same cocktail cabinet, excactly the same. ;-)
Very funny and "surprising"

20091019-brs12s9g1q8rkwutypcchcj7ms.jpg

I ask myself a question: may be it does lack a rosace on the handle of the above?
I have removed traces of varnish which seem to indicate the possible existence of a rosace.
If you look at how the handles are made from the bottom (they are two sides : rosace and handle interlocking) found the same notches on the handle of the top but not in rosace.
What is surprising is that the office of Mixmaster like mine there is no rosace.

20091019-8a62tbwi7rc7ihgyqi7114tc8x.jpg

What you think about that Mixmaster ? :)

........ and forgiveness for my mistakes of language I am writing to the other side of the Atlantic. Thanks !!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My 1930's walnut drink's cabinet.

This is to keep my glasses and surplus drink's ingredients in, as the cocktail cabinet has limited space for all the glasses needed.

BcSn0QWkKGrHqIH-CQEqwonHvmBBKz2vLCF.jpg

BcSn28wBmkKGrHqIH-DwEquZcC0FBKz2vSz.jpg

BcSn73QCGkKGrHqQH-DwEqu2YOLdeBKz2vl.jpg

BcSnwIQCGkKGrHqIH-DYEqtnGTpgBKz2u6N.jpg

BcSnyQw2kKGrHqYH-EEqu2N-9lBKz2vB0Ci.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Yes, I have separate cabinets for glasses, a glass door cabinet to display all my absinthe glasses and related items, and other cabinets for the rest of the glasses.

The bottles are a lost cause, due to the number of them...;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Bumping this thread to show off my bargain eBay score - this 1930s cocktail cabinet bought from the local department store Bentalls and in the same family ever since! It's less than half a mile from me waiting to be picked up as soon as I can enlist my friend with a van!

4474193622_0aa2673beb_o.jpg

4474193740_7eb6ce2215_o.jpg

The sides will be stocked with china until I expand my glassware collection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner