Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktails anyone?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's a fun link!

I prefer Amaretto Sours, myself.

My grandmother, who worked as a bartender in the 1950s-60s, was fond of a drink called the Pink Lady. The recipe sounds rather vile though: gin, grenadine, and egg. Can't say I'll be trying that one anytime soon!

Jen

New in Town
Pink Lady

I try to stay away from anything with eggwhite, but who knows? it may be worth a try.

With the Jack Rose, never make it with Calvados. Laird's Applejack is the key! Either lemon or lime (I prefer the lime).

They also have a cocktail museum in New Orleans, but I haven't been there (yet!).

farnham54

A-List Customer
Jitterbugdoll,

As a professionally trained mixologist, I can tell you that unfortunatley, the Pink Lady doesn't include an egg in MOST cases--your mom is probobly absolutley correct however, as many gin joints would create their own cocktails--ie Caseys in Canada has their own version of the Mojito that adds something random (i think it's a creme de Menthe, which to me would completley contrast with a Mojito--but no matter)

For those interested in a Pink Lady

1 oz Gin
Fill glass with Milk
Dash of Grenadine

It's actually quite tasty, and in MOST cases there ain't no risk of Salmenella poisoning :p

My favorite is one I sorta-kinda-inveted. I call it a Surgeon Jack Pepper.

Dash tequila silver
1oz Jack Daniels
Top with Dr. pepper in a Rocks glass on Ice

(The meaning of the name: Surgeon and Tequila Silver, ie the Stainless surgical tools, Jack for the Jack Daniels, and the whole Pepper/medical angle from the Dr. pepper...it's good stuff!)

The other favorite of mine is another personal creation--I call it the Stargate (if any one has seen the show, Stargate SG-1, well that's my inspiration!)

1 oz Tequila Gold
Sprite
dash of Blue Curaco right in the middle of the glass.

The blue curaco looks like a stargate opening in the drink, a very cool effect.

Cheers and enjoy the cocktails!

Craig-o

Jen

New in Town
Pink Lady

According to Ted Haigh, Dr. Cocktail, the Pink Lady originally included egg white, and most certainly NOT any dairy product. My guess is that the substitution of bovine for avian product has to do with fears of salmonella. And the yuck factor.

Check out Dr. Cocktail's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails---lots of fun!

farnham54

A-List Customer
Jen,

I stand corrected! Thats the thing with cocktails, it's so hard to trace their history.

Personally, I'd go with Milk over egg any day of the week :p. It is, as you say, probobly because of the "yuck" factor and the disease risk that it was changed.

Cheers
Craig

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
mmmmm Cocktails my favorite.....
Though I do drink many traditionals....and quite a few tiki concoctions here's a new one......

Cpt. Jack Sparrow (soon to be world famous, Sparrow for short)
1/3 Capt. Morgans
1/3 Jack Daniels
1/3 Coke

Made in a pint glass with ice

So tasty and becomming a big favorite round here.....

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The Pink Lady

My grandmother may have preferred hers with milk--years ago, I recall my mother describing the drink as being made with milk, although she wasn't 100 percent sure of the ingredients.

Regardless, she informed me that egg white as no taste--just a lot of yuck factor!

I may order a Pink Lady the next time we go out (with milk of course)--cherry flavored milk would be quite tasty!

I definitely favor sweet, 'foo-foo' drinks--the kind that go down easy and make you very sick later. Of course, after one drink I tend to fall asleep (yep, I'm the life of the party :rolleyes: ), so I can't say I've ever imbibed enough to make it the sick stage!

Jen said:
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but it is fun:

http://cocktaildb.com/index

My favorite: the Jack Rose. What about the rest of you?

Wow! I made something like that a few weeks ago. I didn't know someone had thought of it before.
Mine was a little different though. It still had the applejack and grenadine but I added 7 UP, Cherri-Berri Pucker and Triple Sec. Now I need a new name and I am set to go. I guess it could be something like Jack Pucker or Triple Jack. :p

Regards to all,

J

P.S. For sweet drinks, how about the Pink Squirrel and the Grasshopper

farnham54

A-List Customer
Dr. Shocker,

Am I to understand that the Sparrow is 1/3 of a pint glass? as in, around 6.75 OUNCES Cap'n Morgan, same again Jack Daniels, then coke?

Thats one helluva drink!! Sounds like a proper college kid thing to do, i'll have to whip some up for my buddies :D

Cheers
Craig

Jen

New in Town
yuck!

farnham54 said:
Jen,

Personally, I'd go with Milk over egg any day of the week :p. It is, as you say, probobly because of the "yuck" factor and the disease risk that it was changed.

Cheers
Craig

I agree! the milk version sounds definitely less vomitous.

farnham54

A-List Customer
While on the subject of raw eggs--Has anyone tried a Red Eye?

Pint of Lager
Tomato Juice
Raw Egg

Deeelicious! :S (apparently) Proving once and for all that Beer is in fact the ultimate Breakfast Drink :p

Cheers
Craig

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
If I had to guess I'd say the pint glass was filled to the very top with ice, making it somewhat less than the full 16 oz available. Still, sounds like that drink packs a punch!

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
it does pack a wollop on the unsuspecting.....but it is damn tasty.....as for ice yes there is ice I use one handfull where as my buddy fills his pint glass to the brim so ice to taste......garnish would be a nice straw and a good looking broad....hehehehehehe

if I recall right Matt you liked this drink didn't you?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just a few of my favourite things...(cocktail books)

On your shelf have:

Savoy Cocktail Book (193*)
Mr Boston Bartender's Guide, 1931
Shake em Up, 1930
What'll you have? 1933
Boothby's World Drinks (and how to make em) 1934
Cocktails by Jimmy, (late of Ciros) 1930
The Cocktail Book (a sideboard manual for gentlemen) 1926
Cheerio! (punches and cocktails) 1928
Old Waldorf Astoria Bar Book 1935
A lifetime collection of 688 recipesfor drinks, 1934
Chicago Bartender's Bar Guide, 1945

*(all available as reprints from Amazon.com)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"At the "Canadian" club

I rather enjoy Canadian club with Ginger Ale, but I do get rather confused, can CC be substituted for any recipe that has "Whiskey" as an ingredient?

3203276336_377fbbb60e.jpg

campy

New in Town
My favorite classic cocktail is the Manhattan (sweet, made with rye whiskey) with the Sidecar close behind. I also love Negronis, especially before an Italian repast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy