Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Matas Cold Cream? I wonder if we can find that on ebay... Anyone know?

Update on the CC Adventures!!

It has been a couple of days .. and its wonderful!
I ordered some LUX soap to use in the morning and I use the Cold creme in the evening! My skin look sooo amazing.. everything from makeup, lotion, bronzer, tinted creme.. just sits soo perfect and my skin has practically come back from the dead!

Also I have been using witch hazel (dickens formula) and boy is that stuff amazing! I am quite oily.. and it has helped soo much to where i only blot ONCE a day!! Wooohooo... THANK YOU for this THREAD ladies!!!!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just found this on their website, wooot, I have never seen it before!

Shrinking Violet, witch hazel translates into trold nød in danish, right? The latin word being hamamelis. Have you looked for it in those health stores like City Helse and Helsamin and so forth? I would think they'd have it, they always have rose hip oil and stuff like that. Otherwise, it seems these guys have it.

Mary, which cold cream do you use? It felt really nice and not greasy as I expected cold cream.

I also found this, it is available in Denmark at pharmacies:

cold_cream_lg.jpg

I also found this recipe for the original cold cream, it's in Danish, let me know if anyone wants it translated:

Galenos' coldcreme
Tilpasset efter anvisningerne i Sumo Lotus' 'Naturkosmetik'.

Dette er en fed creme til temmelig tør hud. Sørg for at veje ingredienserne omhyggeligt af. Vandfasen tilsættes fedtfasen. Under fremstillingen må cremen på intet tidspunkt få temperaturchok. Afkølingen er følsom og vigtig. Selve arbejdet tager omkring 2 timer, men cremen vil kræve opmærksomhed et døgn.

Der vil være brug for:
en meget præcis vægt
et termometer
to gryder
to skåle til vandbad
evt. en pipette
• 20 g bivoks
• 1/3 tsk lanolin
• 100 g mandelolie
• 75 g kilde eller -demineraliseret vand
• 1 knsp natriumbenzoat

Varm bivoks og lanolin i vandbad til alt er sikkert smeltet; omkring 70 °C.Varm olien, også i vandbad, til max 60 °C. Når voks og olie har omtrendt samme temperatur, blandes de to og temperaturen holdes mellem 60 og 70 °C.

Vandet varmes til omkring 65 °C, hvorefter natriumbenzoat tilsættes og opløses.
Nu tilsættes vandet forsigtigt fedtfasen, først et par dråber af gangen. Hertil finder jeg en pipette ganske anvendelig. Det vigtigste er dog at fedtfasen og vandfasen har temperaturer mellem 60 og 70 °C. Til sammenrøringen bruger jeg en gaffel, da den er god at piske lidt med. Mens vandet tilsættes røres konstant.

Når alt vandet er rørt i, og ikke ligger som store vandperler i fedtfasen, tages gryden af blusset og der røres hvert, hverandet minut i cremen. Når temperaturen falder til omtrendt 55 °C begynder bivoksen at størkne og herfra til cirka 40 °C er det vigtigt at røre konstant.

Herefter skal cremen røres i med jævne mellemrum det næste døgns tid. I dette døgn må cremen ikke stå for koldt, da vandet kan trænge ud af cremen.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet (and other mask-users) Do you put the mask on your entire face, or just the nose? How often do you put it on, and for how long? I'm new to the whole mask thing.

I tried this today and it was quite nice. It felt drying but good at the same time (my skin tingled). You're supposed to put it on your whole face like I did, but maybe just the nose would be enough for me. It's made of seaweed and different kinds of clay and mud haha. The ion stuff sounds too sci-fi for me though:
pd_seaweed_ionicClayMask.jpg

"Best if you want to: Detoxify and deep cleanse your skin with a weekly mask that uses natural ionic clay action to draw out impurities and control excess oil.
How it works:

* Community Trade bladderwack seaweed and seaweed harvested from the French coast balance skin tone and purify and clarify the complexion.
* 100% natural clay complex with China clay, marine mud and thermal clay cleanses and revitalizes skin; negatively charged ions act like magnets to draw out dirt and impurities from the pores.
* The minerals magnesium, iron and calcium help to rebalance skin and revitalize the complexion."

It was fun because I looked like a green mummy/ zombie!

Laura Chase this is Mary's pink cold cream:
389141.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
The one we used when we tried lipstick was in a blue can, I think...

The Matas cold cream smells bad, it's without fragrance, which is nice, but it smells of paraffin, which is not so nice... But I think there are a lot of creams out there that are a lot like cold creams. Does it have to contain beeswax to be a cold cream? Melissa had some cooling creams that seemed really lovely, with the two first ingredients being water and apricot pip oil.

The Avène cold cream has the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil(Paraffinum Liquidum),Water(Aqua),Beeswax(Cera Alba),Glyceryl Stearate,Cetyl Alcohol, C20-40 Pareth-10, Cetyl Phosphate,Fragrance(Parfum),Methylparaben,Sodium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
The one we used when we tried lipstick was in a blue can, I think...
Laura, you're so funny, trust me on this one ;) Mary put some cream in an empty nivea something or other tin, probably to keep the one she uses hygienic (we all poked our more or less dirty fingers in the one we used). I'm guessing about the hygien reasons, but I'm 100% sure about the Jergen's since I've aked Mary and seen it in person.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
cherry lips said:
Thank you ShesSoVaVaVoom and hotrodmama0201 for your kind advice! I just went to the Body Shop and got som clay mask samples. I can't wait to try them!
I looked for a mint julep mask in different shops as well, but no one had heard of it! I'm suspecting this is yet another product that doesn't exist in Sweden... What brand do you ladies use? And do you use any moisturizer on your nose? Thanks for your help :)

I think you could use any clay mask, not just the mint julep ones, the body shop clay masks are nice, I used to work there a long time ago and still love their products! I use the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (www.queenhelene.com). I use it all over my face twice a week, and just about every other day on my T-zone to shrink my pores and also as a spot treatment for blemishes. I do use moisturizer (just a little) on my nose because I have dry skin and if I don't I feel itchy.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
Laura, you're so funny, trust me on this one ;) Mary put some cream in an empty nivea something or other tin, probably to keep the one she uses hygienic (we all poked our more or less dirty fingers in the one we used). I'm guessing about the hygien reasons, but I'm 100% sure about the Jergen's since I've aked Mary and seen it in person.

Ah, of course! :eek: Wonder if I can get Jergens around here...

By the by, I will also recommend two clay masks I love, am currently running out of the Organic Pharmacy one, it's really good, but a little fussy since you have to mix it with water yourself.

The Organic Pharmacy Flower Petal Deep Cleanser & Exfoliating Mask:

Jurlique Purifying Mask:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
ShesSoVaVaVoom said:
I think you could use any clay mask, not just the mint julep ones, the body shop clay masks are nice, I used to work there a long time ago and still love their products! I use the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (www.queenhelene.com). I use it all over my face twice a week, and just about every other day on my T-zone to shrink my pores and also as a spot treatment for blemishes. I do use moisturizer (just a little) on my nose because I have dry skin and if I don't I feel itchy.
Thanks ShesSoVaVaVoom and Laura Chase for guiding me in my beauty mask debut :)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
The Matas cold cream smells bad, it's without fragrance, which is nice, but it smells of paraffin, which is not so nice... But I think there are a lot of creams out there that are a lot like cold creams. Does it have to contain beeswax to be a cold cream? Melissa had some cooling creams that seemed really lovely, with the two first ingredients being water and apricot pip oil.

Boo, I was hoping the Matas cold cream had a nicer scent so I could put it in the cute Boot's cold cream pot. I saw that Matas have a traditional cleansing cream in a huge tub, maybe it's worth trying too?
I've been very happy with the Mellisa cleansing cream in the pump bottle, I used it for years, but it's just not quite as thick and deep cleansing as cold cream. I've never seen witch hazel (hamamelisvand?) in any shops here in Denmark, only lavender and rose water, which is very nice too.

I think Weleda do a cold cream, but it comes in a small tube and is kind of expensive. I think RetromodelSari uses it ..? Sari, could you tell us if it works for cleansing?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
That sounds great, I think I will try the Weleda one after I've finished the Matas I already bought (unless I suddenly break out or something, I don't mind the smell that much). Miss Retro, which one is it, I can't find it on their website, is it just called "cold cream" or something else?

ShrinkingViolet, Urtegaarden sell a hamamelis extract I will buy and just mix with water and use as a skin tonic, that way you can also adjust how strong you want it to be. They also have some inexpensive rose water, I think they have a lot of nice stuff, also everything you need to make your own creams and make up.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Thanks for the recommendation, Miss Retro :)
I just wish those German brands weren't so @%6)?# expensive in Denmark.

I stopped by a Matas the other day .. maybe this one is worth a try?

228b_m.jpg

"Removes heavy make-up", "softens and moisturises". The ingredient list seem very similar to Pond's etc.

verazasulich

New in Town
Laura Chase said:
The Avène cold cream has the following ingredients:
Mineral Oil(Paraffinum Liquidum),Water(Aqua),Beeswax(Cera Alba),Glyceryl Stearate,Cetyl Alcohol, C20-40 Pareth-10, Cetyl Phosphate,Fragrance(Parfum),Methylparaben,Sodium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine.

It's kind of hard to find Pond's cold cream here in Singapore so I've been using the Avene on and off, though it costs about four times as much. It feels lighter than Pond's and isn't so oily, so it takes fewer wipes to get off.

However, that doesn't really justify its immensely scarier price tag and I usually stick to Pond's if and when I can find it.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Clinique's Cold Cream

............is junk.

I can't even sneak up on it I dislike it so much. It cleans ok,.....leaves my skin feeling REALLY greasy which Ponds does NOT do..........and it has no scent. (which is good for ladies with allergies, sensitivy)

i would love to give it away...ugh.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
I have to say thank you to the ladies of this thread.

I used to think cold cream was only for taking off stage makeup, but this thread inspired me. I went out and bought some (CVS brand, because it was the cheapest and I'm a college student) and tried it. I was really worried it would leave my face greasy and gross-feeling.

I have to admit, I absolutely love it!

I've never had anything take off makeup so well, and if I wipe it off well, it doesn't leave my face that greasy at all. It just feels like a moisturizer. My face had been breaking out very badly when I first tried it, and within a few days, my skin was so clear! Just rub it one, wipe it off with a tissue or washcloth, and you're set. My results were so convincing, my boyfriend even bought a jar for himself!

I learned the hard way though that I can't really use this in combination with any sort of facial soaps. I used to use an acne scrub in the morning and cold cream at night, and my face just started to look awful. So I dropped the acne scrub and stuck with the cold cream, and I couldn't love my skin more now.

I used to wear makeup everyday, but now I've gone almost a week without even dabbing on concealer. And my skin stays just perfectly moisturized during the day. Not too dry, and not too oily. I'm serious, I'm in love with this stuff!

And as for blackheads? Not gone completely, but the cold cream made a very noticable difference.

Thanks again ladies for turning me back onto this great stuff!

live vintageous

Familiar Face
CC hasn't helped my blackheads

Well, I've been using Ponds CC for the past few months. Hasn't helped my blackheads at all. I've noticed a lot of you have had your blackheads diminish. Any tips/ideas?

I finally started using a BHA & AHA product after I use CC. Seems to be helping a little bit.. I'm also going to pick up Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask. I don't have oily skin, but boy, do I have serious amounts of blackheads [huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
live vintageous said:
Well, I've been using Ponds CC for the past few months. Hasn't helped my blackheads at all. I've noticed a lot of you have had your blackheads diminish. Any tips/ideas?

I finally started using a BHA & AHA product after I use CC. Seems to be helping a little bit.. I'm also going to pick up Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask. I don't have oily skin, but boy, do I have serious amounts of blackheads [huh]

You might want to try ...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20244

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Thank you for the link, Miss Neecerie :) I'll give OCM a try and see if that works. It's a shame, because CC makes me feel so elegant when I use it. I do love using my jar of Ponds so very much. I just wish it loved me too.

If OCM doesn't work, I'm going to try Jergens CC and see if that's any better than Ponds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner