Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Football!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
rcinlv said:
But I have to agree. The College Cup Final between UCSB and UCLA was excellent. Played in St. Louis, just after a blizzard, in frigid conditions, and the play was excellent. Back and forth, with UCSB prevailing in the end for their first National Championship.

That is what you were talking about, wasn't it?;) ;) ;)

RC

Congrats to UCSB! But soccer is checkers; and Football is chess.:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Why Chicago Bears????
I'll give you that the Bears are lookin good this season. But the Packers need a win....it's going to be a great game! (Wish I could see it:( )

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Why Chicago Bears????
I'll give you that the Bears are lookin good this season. But the Packers need a win....it's going to be a great game! (Wish I could see it:( )

I'd wager a few Euros on the Bears with you Spitfire, if it wasn't
for the fact that I went out long for the IRISH against LSU on Jan 3rd.lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Why Chicago Bears????

Green Bay 23
Chicago 0:eek: (Half Time Score)

Looking like a busted flush....:(

photobyalan

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: Hey, Hey! This is a COLLEGE football thread! If you want to talk NFL, start your own thread.

Anyone else watching the game on the blue field tonight? Because of a pool I'm participating in, I find myself in the unbelievable position of rooting for Miami to win and beat the spread. Me being a Gator, this is very distressing. Fortunately, I am currently leading the pool, so my distress is tempered somewhat.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
photobyalan said:
:eek:fftopic: Hey, Hey! This is a COLLEGE football thread! If you want to talk NFL, start your own thread.

Understood. Recent NFL postings were admittedly off-topic,
but not intended to usurp the college thread. :rolleyes:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Harp said:
Understood. Recent NFL postings were admittedly off-topic,
but not intended to usurp the college thread. :rolleyes:

Ooooh. Hope my rebuke didn't seem too stern. I was trying for tongue in cheek.

Anyway, Miami has annoyed me yet again by winning but not covering the point spread, thereby doing me no good whatsoever in my pool. Curse them!

Fortunately, Young Frankenstein is on the Fox Movie Channel right now. That should give me a chuckle.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Some good games on today! I hope Auburn wakes up in time to show up at the Cotton Bowl.:rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to watching the Rose Bowl for once.

.....okay, treading a thin line here;) ......did anyone catch former SOUTHERN MISS QB after his game last night? Pretty emotional interview for Favre.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Well, Saturday the Virginia Tech Hokies showed (yet again) why they get the nickname "Chokies" around here. They get in a good position and then choke. They were winning 21-3 at the half, then lose 24-31 on fumbles and interceptions! :rage:

This is why we don't get taken seriously in college football, and why it took so long to move up to the ACC.

-Jake

Pilgrim

One Too Many
In praise of the Rose Bowl

I'm not a fan of the BCS system, and I had the good fortune to grow up in a PAC-8 (now PAC-10) town and attend Washington State University. In 1998 and 2003 we had the good fortune to play in the Rose Bowl.

My read on this is simple: the PAC-10 and Big 10 have the REAL post-season football game. If you're in a Rose Bowl conference, the mythical BCS Championship game is nothing but an afterthought.

I've gone with WSU to the Alamo Bowl, Sun Bowl, Rose Bowl (2x) and Holiday Bowl. They are all fun and fun to attend, but the Rose Bowl is the real prize.

In my humble opinion, all the Rose Bowl did by joining the BSC rotation was to lower itself. As the oft-proclaimed "Grandaddy Of Them All", it doesn't need the BCS.

My sympathies go to those conferences that don't play in the Rose. However, they have their own traditional bowls.

Now all I have to do is choose a team to root for today. We Cougs refer to U$C as the University of Spoiled Children, so I'm not their biggest fan; however, Michigan beat WSU in the '98 Rose Bowl when the clock ran out with the Cougs on the 16-yard line spiking the ball in an effort to get one more play. (One of the great Rose Bowls, IMO.) That doesn't encourage me to pull for Michigan. I guess I'll be a PAC-10 loyalist and back the Trojans.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
spiridon said:
.....okay, treading a thin line here;) ......did anyone catch former SOUTHERN MISS QB after his game last night? Pretty emotional interview for Favre.

A fine performance last nite, wish him all the best.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo