Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colour?

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
What colour do you guys suggest for a fedora? I have a black one, but it feels a bit, wrong. Would a brown one be better, or dove grey?
And any londoners know a good place to get one, preferably one that's somewhat easy on the wallet?

univibe88

One Too Many
Shades of brown and grey are very traditional and would be a great choice. Go with what better matches your wardrobe and you feel comfortable wearing.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Like you, my first one was black as well and there seems to be a limit on when/where I can wear it. It may only be in my head, but it seems like it's suited for cooler weather. I'm looking for a brown one an/or a panama. I read another post suggesting sage as a "go with anything" color, too. Good luck and enjoy, Hoss

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I'd go with brown- very versatile color.
My first fedora was gray, second one brown- I can wear them with anything...

duggap

Banned
Why not get a grey and a brown one. That way you have your basic colors covered and a start on the hobby of collecting hats. The addiction sets in about 45 minutes after you buy the second hat.:p

Torpedo

One Too Many
Even accounting for the fact that they look more like the product of a "mainstream" custom service than a really personalized service like that offered by Art Fawcett for instance, I still think $100 for a Christy's felt fur hat seems pretty reasonable.

Anyone can provide some more information?

Daniel

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look at your shoes and your jackets. If they are black, lean towards the grey fedora. If they are brown, lean towards the brown. That's what I do.

I have read good things about the Adventurer from http://www.hornetshats.com/index.php over on COW and it comes an all colours.

Johnny

kaosharper1

One Too Many
It seems that brown with a black band goes with lots of outfits. I think in the old days many men of limited means only had 2 hats, one grey and one brown and that seemed to cover everything.

DerMann

Practically Family
I got one in a medium grey and a lightish brown (tawny is the term used). Both colours are very versatile.

Unless you wear a black suit a lot, a black fedora just won't fit.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It doesn't matter.....

....either a grey or the brown are both good choices, they go with just about anything,besides....you know as well as all of us, you're going to own one of each eventually anyway, right? :D

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I second the brown or grey options, providing you stay away form the most extreme shades, either too light or too dark.

I mean you stay away at the moment; middle-shade options will be compatible with most wardrobe. Once you want to add more hats, then you can go for less flexible colours aiming at more specific matching.

Regards,

Daniel

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice guys! As soon as payday passes, I'm gonna buy a grey one. Easier to wear in the rain than lugging an umbrella around everywhere, so with this english summer, it'll be perfect!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
London grey...no way!

Midnight BLUE it should be....goes well with a suit and Jeans! How about a few pics fellow loungers before we send our Londoner friend into the world of grey!

Artblue1.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
LondonLuke said:
What colour do you guys suggest for a fedora? I have a black one, but it feels a bit, wrong. Would a brown one be better, or dove grey?
And any londoners know a good place to get one, preferably one that's somewhat easy on the wallet?
The single color that goes well with khaki, brown, gray, navy blue -- everything I wear -- is Borsalino's Uranio which is Uranium Gray. This is [a] nearly charcoal gray with brown tinge, or very dark brown with strong charcoal gray tinge. The downside to this knowledge is that I own only one Uranio hat. I have detected only one other in five years. I do not know whether other manufacturers have made comparable colors, albeit using different nomenclature.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart