Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

combat jacket query

After the Fox

New in Town
Hi From London U.K
I bought a combat jacket donkey's years ago, I thought it was an M41, it's in OD cotton twill/gaberdine with dark brown wool lining, but then realised it didn't have epaulettes and I can't see any evidence of ever being any. So then I thought it was maybe a navy N4 version that didn't have epaulettes, but it doesn't look like that either, no USN on breast and it has buckle cinches at waist and sleeves. It has a tabbed button closure for collar. Just been looking around i/net but can't see anything resembling it , not an M38 or navy A-2 , seems to be a mix of all of 'em. hopefully it's obvious to you guys...

Attachments

• IMG_3381 (533x800).jpg
    IMG_3381 (533x800).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_3382 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_3382 (800x533).jpg
    258 KB · Views: 382

EngProf

Practically Family
No - definitely not a tanker jacket (winter combat jacket). Among other differences, tanker jackets have ribbed knit cuffs and bottom.
The closest thing I can see to that one is the M1941 arctic jacket. However, they were long and came down below your bottom to keep you warm.
I think it's a foreign version of a US pattern.
As an example, Norway made an almost dead-on copy of the M1943 jacket.

After the Fox

New in Town
Thanks so much for that , I'm sure the UK would not have made anything like this, we had our own battledress, so if anyone has any other ideas I'd be much obliged
Cheers

p51

One Too Many
It's the acrtic jacket, all right.
Look at:
  • the lining, it's much heavier and a different color than M41's one.
  • The tape gathers at the bottom edge on each side and the cuffs. That's how you tell it from a M41. An M41 has button adjustments in both of those places.
The stitching underneath the color is correct for the Arctic jacket as well...

After the Fox

New in Town
Look at:
  • The tape gathers at the bottom edge on each side and the cuffs. That's how you tell it from a M41. An M41 has button adjustments in both of those places.
excellent, thanks so much for that, I found a site showing differences between an original and a repro and it matches up completely, apart from epaulets, length and zip, so took a much closer look and can just see where the 4 stitch holes were for epaulet button on 1 side. Stitching looks wrong at bottom, so now assume it was cut off to look like an ordinary M41 or just more comfortable to wear. That original had a silver Talon zip, mine has a brass Conmar but guess whatever was available at time were used ?
Thanks again
Look at:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB