Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
I like her music but that's where the liking ends!!!! She looks like a big fat mess, it's awful! I feel sorry for her. It's a definate say no to drugs advert. You won't be able to guage how good (or not) you look lol lol lol

marty2.jpg

I'd dance with him.

I'd rather George though, he has the moves fo' sho'. But I'm not that fussy.

I thought the name rang a bell.

LOVE THE TAKE ON CHUCK BERRY IN THAT MOVIE!

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
I'm a living doll

I was eating in Carmel over the weekend and the owner of the restaurant (local hangout) told me that I looked just like Kit Kittredge, the 1930's American Girl doll whose movie just came out. Since I have a chin length blonde bob and I was wearing a cloche, I think he probably got it just right although I'd never noticed it before. So, of course, I dragged (drug?) Mr. Angel to the movie the very next day....nothing like going to a movie with a bunch of 8 year old girls! lol

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
jonniangel said:
So, of course, I dragged (drug?) Mr. Angel to the movie the very next day....nothing like going to a movie with a bunch of 8 year old girls! lol

I JUST saw the ad for it... clothes look pretty good! What did you think? And did anyone THERE notice that you were dressed appropriately?

I will go see it... for the costumes ... but not until it is nearly out of theatres. I can't stand being in a movie theater with children!

However, it does bring up a funny comment I got at a showing of Casablanca a few years back in one of our renovated theaters. A gentleman asked me if I could point the way to the restrooms. I guess I must have looked really surprised, because he immediately said "excuse me! I thought you were running the event."

Wow. Apparently, I looked so good that I ought to be charge. Nice.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
When I went into a fish and chip restaurant for a meal on Saturday, dressed as in this photo, the girls behind the counter started humming the Indiana Jones 'Raiders March'... Can't think why... ;)

CairoCar640Sepia.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I got an amazing comment when I was out last night. I wasn't even wearing stockings or anything particular vintage and I was also wearing my glasses and that always makes me feel invisible.

I guy I would say in his late thirties comes up to us/me and says that he just wanted to pay me a compliment and that I look amazing and that I have a terrific sortof rockabilly style. I reply with a thank you and that I didn't think anyone would notice since I am wearing glasses, and he replies (my favorite bit) : oh no, you're shining bright tonight!

That totally made my evening!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Darhling said:
I got an amazing comment when I was out last night. I wasn't even wearing stockings or anything particular vintage and I was also wearing my glasses and that always makes me feel invisible.

I guy I would say in his late thirties comes up to us/me and says that he just wanted to pay me a compliment and that I look amazing and that I have a terrific sortof rockabilly style. I reply with a thank you and that I didn't think anyone would notice since I am wearing glasses, and he replies (my favorite bit) : oh no, you're shining bright tonight!

I always found that a better class of men would hit on me when I was wearing my glasses! And I'll bet you look cute in them anyway.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
I always found that a better class of men would hit on me when I was wearing my glasses! And I'll bet you look cute in them anyway.

You know what, you could be on to something, but I need more than glasses to notice that, unless I am being dragged by the hair by a caveman to make sure the point come across, I often mistake flirting for friendliness.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
... says that he just wanted to pay me a compliment and that I look amazing and that I have a terrific sortof rockabilly style. I reply with a thank you and that I didn't think anyone would notice since I am wearing glasses, and he replies (my favorite bit) : oh no, you're shining bright tonight!

Personally, glasses are part of the style for me! (Of course, I need them desperately.) And if you wear cat eyes, it is practically considered to be part of the RAB uniform. But I agree with Miss 1929, a different sort of fella hits on gals with glasses. (Heck, it is something my fiancee always specifically looked for ... he particularly likes ladies with frames on their face!) I think a number of men find it charming.

Siobhan Julia

New in Town
Hello everyone :) I'm new, so bear with me..

I constantly get 'Dita', 'Bettie'... one of my friends calls me 'Agyness' because they thinek it's an old fashioned name..:rolleyes:

Some man came up to me the other day and asked me if I was trying to pull off the Christina Aguilera look... ah these uninformed people..

I went into Watford yesterday.. and the amount of dirty looks I got for having my hair up in rolls was ridiculous! And it's funny to think that the majority of these people had mushroom tops and VPLs!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
I'm starting to sew my own vintage clothes, as much as I'd love to have the real thing!! I can never find clothes my size unless they're over 100 bucks, which I can't afford at this time. I made my first dress a few weeks ago and I'm currently working on another one from 1942 and one from 1947 for my friend :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Siobhan Julia said:
Hello everyone :) I'm new, so bear with me..

I constantly get 'Dita', 'Bettie'... one of my friends calls me 'Agyness' because they thinek it's an old fashioned name..:rolleyes:

Some man came up to me the other day and asked me if I was trying to pull off the Christina Aguilera look... ah these uninformed people..

I went into Watford yesterday.. and the amount of dirty looks I got for having my hair up in rolls was ridiculous! And it's funny to think that the majority of these people had mushroom tops and VPLs!

Hurrah! Another London Gal! You must join us for our next meet up Siobhan - keep checking the events thread and check the Steamer Trunk for tales and photographic evidence of the last one.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I bothered to roll my hair for the first time in a month and I put on red lipstick the way it's intended to be worn. The rest is very casual because we've just come home from vacation and I'm busy doing laundry. No excuse, I know;)

Hub keeps complimenting me on my hair and how good it looks with that fullness. He usually says he doesn't like anything that looks too dressed up or uptight and he's usually not a lipstick and nailpolish fan but he also keeps saying how good my war paint effort looks:eek:

MissHannah

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
I kept getting funny looks fro people in London at the weekend. And I thought they were meant to be cool people down there :p

I had to laugh when, in Camden Market, one of the 'vintage' shops were selling Peacocks dresses...

Yeah, still get it in London - but it tends to be more curiosity and admiration than the outright outrage and revulsion I would get in Exeter! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto