Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compare These Jackets Please

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Ok, without any comment, here are two different jackets, back view obviously. Tell me what you think of each. Sorry, I am no photographer.

CawWbls.png
Co538fx.png

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Screen shot 2015-12-04 at 6.46.21 PM.png
schott.png

Ok, the front view of both.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone notice anything strange about the left back of the first jacket, at the shoulder gusset or am imagining things?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Thanks again for the help.

The first is an Aero cafe racer size 36, used as a fit jacket. I feel it fits better around the chest and waist, but the back looks strange. Could be me, but where the arms attach at the gussets doesn't seem clean. Especially on the left side from the back view. Is it just me or was it done a bit sloppily? Would sizing down help the back? Would a lower size look too tight in front?

The second jacket, the Schott 141 size 38, is about 12 years old. It used to fit me great but I am now 51 and have lost about 15 pounds of lean body mass. It feels a bit big nowadays and long as well, but I still get compliments from people when I do wear it. Probably the leather itself, not the fit as much.

technovox

One Too Many
Definitely the Schott is the better fit of the two (judging by the pics.) But I like the way the Aero tapers in at the waist...seems to have a bit more shape, a little less boxy. But if I had to choose I'd go with the Schott.

Each jacket looks a size too big, to me, especially across the back which is making the shoulder gussets or short bi-swing look out of shape on the Aero. One size smaller with less leather pit to pit should help correct the fit of both.
HD

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Each jacket looks a size too big, to me, especially across the back which is making the shoulder gussets or short bi-swing look out of shape on the Aero. One size smaller with less leather pit to pit should help correct the fit of both.
HD

Agreed, looks to large to me, at least from the back.

I also prefer the fit of the Schott.

dan_t

Practically Family
Hi, for what it's worth, they both look at least a size (if not two) too large.
As for the general fit, keep in mind the type of jacket that you are trying on. It is originally designed as a bike jacket, where you would be reaching forward to the handlebars. Not so much as a casual jacket.
The result is that there's ever so slightly more leather in the back than the front to accomodate for a traditional riding position.
I think this is what you're seeing.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
One more question since you guys are so experienced. I don't disagree that they are both a size large or even two sizes as dan_t said ( at least in the case of the Aero). But are you seeing that in the front as well as the back? Could I drop two sizes and still fit the chest and waist?

dan_t: yes, the motorcycle jackets need more material in the back, but what really threw me was the difference in the left and right sides. They looked to me like a size difference between them, almost. The Schott on the other hand just seemed to be better in construction ( maybe not design)

Old age is getting to be a pain. I have lost a closet full of expensive custom made clothing to Goodwill and now I am down to my last leather jacket, which I can only wear with layering at this point. Hard to believe I could actually be a 34 or 32 in anything, but that's how it goes.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
One more question since you guys are so experienced. I don't disagree that they are both a size large or even two sizes as dan_t said ( at least in the case of the Aero). But are you seeing that in the front as well as the back? Could I drop two sizes and still fit the chest and waist?

dan_t: yes, the motorcycle jackets need more material in the back, but what really threw me was the difference in the left and right sides. They looked to me like a size difference between them, almost. The Schott on the other hand just seemed to be better in construction ( maybe not design)

Old age is getting to be a pain. I have lost a closet full of expensive custom made clothing to Goodwill and now I am down to my last leather jacket, which I can only wear with layering at this point. Hard to believe I could actually be a 34 or 32 in anything, but that's how it goes.

It's hard to say, to me the stomach area looks OK, but the shoulders look to big.
Is it possible that you do not have a big drop between chest and waist?

In general Cafe Racers tend to be very tapered, very V shaped, they are a pattern that fit the athletic types better.

One of two things, either your body type isn't suited for that style, or you need to have a jacket made with less taper at the waist area.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Carlos, My chest goes 37.5 and my waist at 30.5. I am 5'6". I think it is larger than normal, though some here are bigger. Could be I am still living a decade in the past in my mind, when my drop was big.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, My chest goes 37.5 and my waist at 30.5. I am 5'6". I think it is larger than normal, though some here are bigger. Could be I am still living a decade in the past in my mind, when my drop was big.

That's weird, a 7" drop is pretty normal, i think the average is 6".
Looking back at the pictures it looks like the Aero CR is actually very long, probably the reason why it fits on the hips ok.
I guess you should try 1 or 2 sizes smaller and see how that fits.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ok, without any comment, here are two different jackets, back view obviously. Tell me what you think of each. Sorry, I am no photographer.

CawWbls.png
Co538fx.png

Hi kronos77,

The photos show that you have a "straighter" body type (it's not just about the drop from the chest to the waist...the shoulders are a big factor for this fit). The Aero Standard Cafe' Racer fit works well for some customers, but the straighter fit and smaller shoulders of the Board Racer will work much better for you! The Schott 141 is a straighter fit, which is why it does not show as much extra room in the shoulder area... Give us a call today and we'll get you going with the second fit jacket!

Banzai

Familiar Face
Just curious; what are the actual measurements on those? I ask because I've looked at both of those models, and I'm 5'6", 37 chest and 30 waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy