Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan Doyle's "The Valley of Fear"

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Is this the one that ends with Conan Doyle having Holmes foresee the Great War with an ominous statement about a gathering darkness (or something like that)?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is this the one that ends with Conan Doyle having Holmes foresee the Great War with an ominous statement about a gathering darkness (or something like that)?
I don't know about the film, but in his written works, "His Last Bow" -- a spy story which takes place not long before WWI -- features that scene:

"There's an east wind coming, Watson."

"I think not, Holmes. It is very warm."

"Good old Watson! You are the one fixed point in a changing age. There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared. Start her up, Watson, for it's time that we were on our way. I have a check for five hundred pounds which should be cashed early, for the drawer is quite capable of stopping it if he can."

(A wonderful example of how Doyle could make a scene move through dialogue.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That speech is used, nearly verbatim, at the end of the 1942 Basil Rathbone film Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror. Since that's the "contemporary" Holmes series, it's repurposed for WWII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic