Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consistency of Sizing By Brand?

MJL

One of the Regulars
I have noticed that some brands seem to be made a bit larger or smaller than what their stated sizes seem to indicate. For example my modern Stetson cowboy type hats seem to be a bit larger than my modern Stetson Fedoras. Is there a way to say that certain brands are made a bit larger or smaller with any sort of consistency or is this just a hit and miss sort of thing?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Even though every company adheres to the standard size scale of 1/8;s of an inch , each companies blocks are slightly different .
From my experiece , Stetson hats run slightly bigger than other companies such as Biltmore or Borsalino . Also remember , softer hats will fit better than stiffer hats .

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
It's a crapshoot, and...

Out of 3-or-so dozen 7 1/4s, both modern and vintage, I'll betcha there's not 10 of them that fit me properly and in the same manner.

Now, I'm a 22.75-inch, 57.7-centimeter kinda guy. So I can wear them all, or leastwise make them wearable. Some are a little roomy in the width or length, some perch on my head Stan Laurel-like, some rest on my ears. And just a few fit, feel and look like they were made just for me (also the advantage of a custom, which I do not yet possess).

Even the hat size charts don't agree. I've seen up to 3/8" disagreement on what a 7 1/4 is 'sposed to be. It is disconcerting to see a nice hat on ebay advertised as a 7 1/4, with the seller adding it measures 22" inside the hat. Is it gonna fit? Lots 'o luck.

The main thing for me is, I don't let it deter me. I know there's a perfect hat out there, with my name on it. Sure some of my purchases don't fit, and so I'll turn around and sell them, making sure to describe and illustrate them such that the next buyer knows exactly what's being acquired.

Now, I haven't actually sold any of the don't-fits, yet. But I want to. I mean it. No, really.

Good observation there MJL. Hats vary from maker to maker and within the maker's flock. ;) It is related to the blocks they use and maybe even the time of year. If wood blocks are used, they expand and contract with the weather and humidity changes. This changes the size of the hat produced on them.
This is one reason I have a heated hat stretcher. For me it helps "ovalize" a hat to fit my head shape better---that and my size is 7 5/8 so sometimes it is necessary to "make" something fit. :p ;)
If you are looking at a vintage hat on an auction site, be sure to ask for "the distance around the inside of the hat at the sweatband." I find that this is simple enough for them to understand and measure. Then you can also be sure that they will be off by an 1/8th of an inch anyway. :p

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Don't fits? I must have a dozen or so. But I am going to sell them. Sure right. Sure. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart