Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
... if it is dated 1939, wouldn't it be later than that?

Not necessarily: it could be from 1939 itself.

reetpleat said:
Also, what about the vent in the back. Does look like a 30s 40s cut, but that vent throws me.

This suit is a natural shoulder, 3-button sack suit: the predominant New England style back then (and now?) The center vent was always part of that mix, was were the welted seams. Still are.

In 2005, I sold a nearly identical cream wool 3-piece suit, only mine was dated 1932. It, too, had a center vent and welted seams.

anon`

One Too Many
Did this one go to one of us?

If so, I hate you and want to buy it from you! Seriously. (Well, not so much about the hate part, but I was very disappointed to have arrived home about an hour after someone else bought it and about two hours after the seller basically told me that it would, beyond doubt, fit me. Definitely about the latter, however.) =(

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Good size too. No wonder it went for so much. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Interestingly, small and medium are the best sizes for a lot of this type of fifties americana. japanese buyers. large and extra large will have their appeal, but lose a lot of those buyers.

reetpleat said:
Interestingly, small and medium are the best sizes for a lot of this type of fifties americana. japanese buyers. large and extra large will have their appeal, but lose a lot of those buyers.

Not in the US. Large size hats, suits, jackets and other types of clothing all go for a premium over anything in the size 36-40 range. Shooting for the average suit size 44 man and the average size 14 woman will pay much better dividends in selling vintage. It lasts about ten seconds on the racks at vintage clothing shows. Online might be a different case because some people just have given up finding anything in larger sizes. [huh] ;)

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Not in the US. Large size hats, suits, jackets and other types of clothing all go for a premium over anything in the size 36-40 range.

Spot on right there. The last 7 3/8 Whippet on eBay i saw went for 400 bucks.
For example I see at least 8 30's- 40's vintage suits in my size 38 a week on eBay. That's why i have Ebay-banned myself.:D

YETI

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Not in the US. Large size hats, suits, jackets and other types of clothing all go for a premium over anything in the size 36-40 range. Shooting for the average suit size 44 man and the average size 14 woman will pay much better dividends in selling vintage. It lasts about ten seconds on the racks at vintage clothing shows. Online might be a different case because some people just have given up finding anything in larger sizes. [huh] ;)
Tell me about it man. Go to La Rosa on Haight and see how much more XL men's vintage is priced over the smaller sizes. I'm an XL and when I thin out my collection on ebay, it sells for a premium 99% of the time. And online, actually, the XLs go quick. I frequent Ballyhoo and American Vintage Classics(they have a sister site also) and the bigger sizes sell fast while the smaller sizes remain available for mos. even years.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Large size hats, suits, jackets and other types of clothing all go for a premium over anything in the size 36-40 range.

True and double true!

But...it is still possible to nab an early 1950s 3-button tussah silk suit, size 42, for $19.99. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260448972556

It's essentially a very light brown version of the suit below:

AuctionphotosMarch019.jpg
AuctionphotosMarch021.jpg

AuctionphotosMarch020.jpg

:)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:

Yes, of course. In the US we have gotten quite big, and big sizes do bring a premium. The reason I commented was due to the odd quirk of certain types of things that seem counterintuitive pricewise. The japanese still drive a certain portion of the vintage market (americana, for lack of a better word) and those items bring more in smaller sizes.

reetpleat said:
Yes, of course. In the US we have gotten quite big, and big sizes do bring a premium. The reason I commented was due to the odd quirk of certain types of things that seem counterintuitive pricewise. The japanese still drive a certain portion of the vintage market (americana, for lack of a better word) and those items bring more in smaller sizes.

Statistically, we are quite a bit bigger than they are heightwise so it also translates to larger frame size. However, they tend to buy things to remanufacture and sell in all sizes at times. That might just account for the prices of small sizes. They just want the cool pattern so they can size it up or otherwise. Rare patterns bring higher prices.
I have found a few bargains for larger size clothing but suits are likely going to cost you around $100 if you are lucky and jackets around $40 if you are really lucky. Marc's find is really, really, really lucky. ;) :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Incidentally, I received the $17.99 tussah silk suit today.

WOW!

It's awe-inspiring, and I don't say that lightly. The color is a rich 'cafe latte', and the tailoring is superb. Was "Louis Roth Clothes" capable of reaching such standards? Apparently yes. :)

I'll post photos tomorrow.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Nice fifties suits are rather under appreciated in my opinion. But still. This is why I am just selling the crap on ebay and not expecting even as much as I could for crap in th past. All the good stuff is sitting and waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace