Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corned beef hash

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Mmmmm.. salmon..

Anyway, I actually bought a can of corned beef hash to serve with eggs next week..

And tonight I'm cooking corned beef with cabbage, onions, and potatoes (and a few select secret ingredients)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
They are both canned by Cal-Can... read the label

And Star-Kist Tuna comes out of the company that produces Nine Lives cat food. Of course, just because the same companies produce food for both pet and human consumption doesn't mean there's anything bad about either, nor does it mean they're even produced on the same production lines or even in the same buildings. And in some cases, the FDA standards for some human products is way below that for pets. I remember a class in high school where we got to see the FDA restrictions & limits for things you wouldn't think would be allowed on a frozen pizza. Ditto with what can be revealed using a black light on the tops of soda cans and bottles. It's better now since most drinks roll off the line, into flats and sealed. But I still rinse them all off the minute they come into the house.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I found the Herford Hash yesterday at my local dollar store and picked up several cans. I think I may have it for dinner tonight and if I like it I'll go clean them out of their supply. I'm guessing a buck a can is a pretty good deal?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
As do I! I had forgotten how much I liked it and bought a couple of cans when this thread was first posted. Then just happened to run across the Hereford at the Dollar Store yesterday.....after looking at a couple of supermarkets and not finding it there.
It was one of those "NO WAY" moments! ;)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Fortworthgal is right on concerning the cooking technique for CBH. It needs to have a bit of a brown crust for the best flavor. Unfortunately, my kids don't like it so I don't make it at home much any more.

Corned beef hash is one of only three foods I will eat with ketchup, the other two being meat loaf and hamburgers. Oh, I will also put ketchup on french fries, but only if they are sub-par. Well-made fries do not need ketchup, only salt.

Last time I had CBH was at the Omni Ambassador East hotel in Chicago (a great vintage setting in which to eat, BTW). It was perfectly cooked and delicious.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I just realized what I bought was Hartford Hash and not Hereford Harsh...
Has anyone ever tried the Hartford Hash?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
The delima of crispy corned beef

Actually it is very simple, as with most any food that you want crispy, whether it be fries, chicken or hash, one simply applies the same additive. Fat in some form (bacon grease, cooking oil, olive oil, lard etc...). Very little is needed for hash when compared to chicken or fries, but the concept is the same. If you will look at dinnermans link, what do they say? Save the bacon grease, for???? Thats right, to cook the corn beef in. Enjoy and Bon appétit

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I love corned beef hash, although I had so much for breakfast once, I almost puked after the last bite of corned beef hash. The worst taste in the world is corned beef hash when you're on the verge of vomiting....

Yes...now back to your regularly scheduled programming. Only on the Fedora Lounge will you find 4 pages about corned beef hash...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ