Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Djupis said:
This sounds interesting! But I can't help feeling that I would be awful bad at replying or that I wouldn't have anything to say [huh]

i thought this....i had two new penpals just before i went to Bosnia, neither id met, and neither i thought i had much in common in, but they turned out to be great!!.... ive lost touch since but there letters made the tour a lot more bareable!! :eusa_doh:

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Oh, this would be lovely. I have one friend with whom i correspond intermittently via mail. It's really quite nice, though i'm afraid i haven't been holding up my end of the deal very well - it's been a bit busy, but the real reason in probably that my desk is too cluttered to pull out the typewriter! Oh, yes, and i do correspond via typewriter; i promise, you don't want to try to decipher a handwritten letter from me =).

Diamondback, with regard to security concerns (always good to keep in mind), when i was younger i corresponded with a friend i had met online through my dad's PO Box. That way there's no address. And, really, there's no need to share a name if you don't mind the postman looking at you askance for receiving mail addressed to Mr. Diamondback. I have, in fact, gotten a few letters myself addressed to Lady Brett Ashley.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
It appears people late to the party want to join

me included! :D so from what i've read your just supposed to pm someone you would like to correspond with.
I love this because when a friend of mine moved to san francisco for art school we would write letters to one another sometimes we'd draw pictures it was really fun...but he thought we were in love so that ended :/
anyways writing is so much fun you think of things to write as you write so you never need to worry :eek:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tempestbella42 said:
Ive just found this post!
Id love to write to anyone who wants?
I had a few pen pals when i was in the Army, its lovely getting letters as aoposed to bills! and being privlaged to get glimses of how others lives are...
Pm me with your address and ill gladly send a letter in the post! :eusa_clap

I think it's especially interesting to correspond with someone from another country. I've sent a PM your way with contact information, and will look forward to a letter from across the water.

Anthony K

Familiar Face
PistolPete1969 said:
I'm IN!!!!!!!

Same here! I think it would be fun to do. Honestly I can't even really remember the last time I sat down and actually wrote an actual letter. Everything is done thru email, honestly I miss sitting down and actually writing a letter.

When I was younger, my uncle and I always kept in touch thru letters, it was always a rush to check the mail box to see if a letter had arrived and quickly opening it to see what was new.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Big Man said:
I think it's especially interesting to correspond with someone from another country. I've sent a PM your way with contact information, and will look forward to a letter from across the water.

I'd certainly agree with.

BinkieBaumont said:
"Rather sad to think that no-one will discover an old box of love letters after this generation passes?"

Ah but they'll have their MSN chat logs :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
hailey greenhat said:
me included! :D so from what i've read your just supposed to pm someone you would like to correspond with.
I love this because when a friend of mine moved to san francisco for art school we would write letters to one another sometimes we'd draw pictures it was really fun...but he thought we were in love so that ended :/
anyways writing is so much fun you think of things to write as you write so you never need to worry :eek:

I think that works quite well, unless someone (perhaps one of the lovely bartenders) has a better idea?

Joonie

Familiar Face
As an elementary student, I was once "assigned" a WWII veteran pen-pal on Veteran's Day and I still have the letters and sweet Valentine's cards mine sent me. We corresponded for a few years and then.... he was just gone. He was last seen at an Arizona veterans' hospital, suffering from emphysema. I can only now appreciate how much joy my simple notes and letters brought him, this lonely, ill, and wise and brave gentleman. The best thing ever- he once mailed me a five-Dollar bill on my birthday and reminded me not to "spend it all at once." What a gem! Every Memorial Day I buy a red poppy in honor of him and my grandfathers.

analiebe

A-List Customer
this is such a wonderful idea.... letter-writing is a dying art and its such a joy to slide an opener into a letter, sit and take the time to read words written by someone who took the time to share their thoughts with you... i'm definately in!

Slytherin

New in Town
When i was young i love pen paling and now i think it will be a good idea to begin a new session . So I'm french, illustrator specialized in pin up and music, and would talk with vintage girl from UK and US especially. You can write me in PM for having my ad. I will really happy !

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Ooooh, yes, please!! It's so funny that whenever I think I have a brilliant idea on this forum, it's already been thought of and implemented years ago!

I have a ton of stationary and a bunch of classic TV stamps, all I need now is a pen pal! Preferably ladies only, as I don't want to ruffle my beau's feathers! lol

Let's see, short bio, eh? I'll see what I can do... My name is Diana and I'm in my late 20s. I spent the first 18 years of my life in Austin, TX until I moved to Charlottesville, Virginia to get my degree in Architectural History. Definitely a Southern girl. Now I'm in Santa Barbara, CA studying to be an architectural photographer. I'm an avid dancer (lindy hop and balboa primarily), dancing for about ten years now. I love antique cars/motorcycles (my dad and brother restore them as a hobby/side income), but I'd worry about owning an antique car myself because they're not around to fix it for me! ;) I love different eras for different reasons... '30s-'50s mostly. I love dressing vintage, but I sometimes find it's a hard line to walk without being perceived as costumey. Most days, I settle for modern classic. I miss the vintage sensibility of looking sharp and put-together at all occasions (yes, even to the grocery store).

Lenore

Practically Family
Count me in!

Lady Day, are you still minding the list? Let us know!

I'd have to agree with Diana.. as much as I wouldn't mind male correspondents, my husband isn't happy with himself lately, and that's lead to him getting cranky about other men in my life.

Speaking of.. Hey Diana! You want to be penfriends? PM me!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Found a PenPal already

You should know how good letters I exchange with cookie - we grew friends and exchange constlantly ideas. Great man!
However there is a big personal weakness we share; both of us being ζῷον πολιτικόν- political animals. We discuss a load of topics that would be locked or moderated out here. Unfortunately.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
If not for pen palling, I wouldn't have my husband of 20 years! He was one of several throughout UK and Europe, and when I crossed the ocean on a one-way, stand-by ticket, I planned to wander round and meet them all. Since he was the one in London, that's where I began. Of course, with his charming Welsh hospitality (despite living in a van!) and mysterious animal magnetism, I never got round to seeing the others.... ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
ThesFlishThngs said:
If not for pen palling, I wouldn't have my husband of 20 years! He was one of several throughout UK and Europe, and when I crossed the ocean on a one-way, stand-by ticket, I planned to wander round and meet them all. Since he was the one in London, that's where I began. Of course, with his charming Welsh hospitality (despite living in a van!) and mysterious animal magnetism, I never got round to seeing the others.... ;)

I love that!

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Lenore said:
I think I killed the thread again... I'm a thread killer... *sniffles* Why does this ALWAYS happen to me? :(

Oh, no! :(

I'm very sorry i didn't respond... I just got through a very busy spell, and just now realized that I had totally neglected your question. I'm PMing you now! :)

Lenore said:
I think I killed the thread again... I'm a thread killer... *sniffles* Why does this ALWAYS happen to me? :(
Don't feel bad, lady--I get the impression I've killed more threads over the years and a number of boards than many if not most here have ever posted in.:eek:

I guess if FL assigned individual titles to members, mine would be "Thread-icidal Maniac"...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112