Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*update*

Sorry bout the lag time guys and dolls, these couple of weeks have been crazy (minus my time on the Lounge :eusa_doh: )

Im gonna send out the new list tomorrow, I promise!

Later,
LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
eMails sent

Alright folks, as of this evening I have sent out the lists for Pen Pals. If there are folks I missed (geeze I hope not) sorry. We can see if (or rather when ;) ) another crop of pen happy people bellows up. Then another list can be erected. Until then, happy writing :)

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GOK said:
< sigh > Late to the party as ever. :eek: Have emailed you, LD.

Oh, do not fret, my dear. The list always pops up again. Im sure in a few weeks, there will be lots of folks that will have a hankerin for hte quill.

So how is the letter writing going with everyone?

LD

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
... So how is the letter writing going with everyone?

LD

I have enjoyed corresponding with my two pen pals, although i should probabally write more often ;)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Stationary

I received my first and only pen pal letter earlier this week. I'm so excited.

Now the issue is I cannot find decent stationary anywhere. I've been to Barnes and Noble and all they have are note cards. Which are ok, but I'm really wanting nice paper and envelopes. Can anyone direct me to a source for good stationary. Price is somewhat of an issue.

Thank you all.

Lady Day, pleasse disregard my PM. I finally found this thread.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grnidwitch said:
... Now the issue is I cannot find decent stationary anywhere ... Can anyone direct me to a source for good stationary ...

Around here (western NC), most greeting card shops and office supply stores (i.e. Staples), as well as K-Mart and Wal-Mart have a fair selection of nice writing paper and envelopes for very reasonable prices. I have a number of old family letters from the 1930's and 1940's, and almost all of them are on plain old ruled "notebook" type paper. I have probably close to 50 old letters from 1910 to 1915 that are all on plain paper.

When I was doing a lot of "period correspondence" while involved in 18th century living history, I used 24lb, 20% cotton "Antique Laid Paper" in ivory color. A box of 500 sheets from Staples was about $20. I took the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet and cut it in half to make my letter paper (which size roughly conformed to many period examples I have seen).

Fancy writing paper is nice, but "plain" paper is certainly "historically correct".

Hope this helps.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Mr Big Man,

Yes, your info has really helped. I'm not married to fancy stationary really, I just wanted nicer writing papers and envelopes. School room blue lined paper was just not going to make me happy. Thank you again for your help.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Grnidwitch said:
Mr Big Man,

Yes, your info has really helped. I'm not married to fancy stationary really, I just wanted nicer writing papers and envelopes. School room blue lined paper was just not going to make me happy. Thank you again for your help.

The other thing I can recommend is buying stationary out of season.

Things go on sale after holidays, so buy christmasy letterhead on December 26th...Valentine letter paper on Feb 15.....and so forth. Bargains galore and then you just store it until next year.....

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
For nice writing paper I found that smaller "novelty"(for lack of a better word) and arts shops had a nice selection, and sold by the sheet and by the envelope, making it a very good bargain for the amount I was buying. Much better than the equally nice, pre-packaged jobs.
If you have any little places around your area, maybe give them a try.:)

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is still a happening thing? If it is you bet I want in! Just joined the Navy and ship to basic in a few months so I'd love to have someone to write to!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy