Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you survive?

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Once in a while, I like to play a little "what if" game with my friends and it might be fun to play here.

If you were suddenly sucked out of the year 2007 and plopped back into 1937, could you continue to live in the way in which your accustomed, or would you have to make some very major changes in how you live?

For instance, could you make a living? Could you do what you do now, or would you have to learn a new skill? How about technology? Could you easly survive with only what was available in 1937? Or would you have to find huge reserves of patience to live without the speed and ease of today's gadgets? And remember, you would HAVE to dress vintage every day...even in the dead of a humid summer.

I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of fun things to think about.

Let 'er rip!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
As an artist, I have no doubt I would thrive. I would be right in the middle of The Golden Age of Illustration, so I'd be right at home. :)
I started out without any hi-tech equipment, so I'm used to doing things by hand. I use my computer for routine tedious stuff like printing reference photos, but I could easily make the adjustment back to film photos and enlargements.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Being an illustrator and graphic designer I think I would have no problem getting a job, and be paid better than those in my profession today.:(

I did have the advantage of learning my "trade" just before the first Mac was introduced, so I know how to use a stat camera and a proportion wheel. ;)

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm also an artist, I make my living with my sewing machine so i think I'd be okay. And with the hubby in service I think we'd make out alright. I don't know about that patience though...I am sorely lacking in that department....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think I'd do fine, probably much better than I do today in fact. Most of my skills are better suited to 1937 than to 2007 anyway, and the only modern gadget I have is a computer -- which I somehow managed to live without for 35 years.

Radio in the late thirties offered quite a few opportunities for women, more so than most career fields of the time -- even more than today -- and I suspect I'd have no trouble at all lining up a job. And in a few years, when all the male film projectionists get drafted, I'll be all set to move in on that field as well.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'd be busy doing hair still, I'm sure.. and frankly I'd get more done without tv, pc, and such to suck me in. I can't think of anything I couldn't live without right now! I like having the cell phone just in case of emergencies, I don't like to go anywhere with my son and forget it. But I'm sure we'd be just fine!
Nikki

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
as an engineer my trade is of toolmaking so i would have no problem doing what i do now (albeit manually instead of my current CNC)

everyday life i would struggle without the gadgets i rely on to keep my fickle mind occupied , though in saying i hope i would adapt eventually :fedora:

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I think I'd lose my mind without all the gadgetry, and probably suffer withdrawal symptoms from the internet. But I could probably get a job developing up films etc.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think the biggest hurdles for me would be getting used to heavy, Coke bottle glass in my specs (-6.75 L, -8.0 R), getting the hang of a clutch (at least cars only had 3 speeds forward), and sharpening my own needles for insulin.

Occupationally, heck, it was hard for everyone then. I'd have an edge over today, tho, I think, because I'd be more in tune with the Zeitgeist.

I can use a typewriter, pen and ink, and even once shot a few rolls with a 120 camera. And my saxophones and clarinets already are all vintage.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
As an artist, I have no doubt I would thrive. I would be right in the middle of The Golden Age of Illustration, so I'd be right at home. :)
I started out without any hi-tech equipment, so I'm used to doing things by hand. I use my computer for routine tedious stuff like printing reference photos, but I could easily make the adjustment back to film photos and enlargements.

Ah the golden age of illustration. Id prolly have to have some sort of second name, an alter ego if you will. Something like Fletch Stevens, or Rudy McHarris. I wouldnt be able to get many real jobs being as Id be a 'colored artist'. AND a women to boot! :eusa_doh:

LD

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I'm a cabinetmaker/finish carpenter/handyman and while I have all the modern power tools my true love is old hand planes, saws and chisels. I'd survive.
Bob.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The first thing I'd do is rent a room in a boarding house. I don't want to wander around Los Angeles in 1937 without a roof over my head.
Also since I live in the what was rural area during that time, I'd have to hitch a ride to the city. I'd find a job quickly just so I can have money to get around and be able to pay rent.

Perhaps I could be a soda jerk, or a photographer. It seems I already have completition around here, but I'll fight you all off!

Considering I don't drive and I live in Los Angeles, I don't think I'd have much trouble getting around on the Red Cars. Just let me take my bank account with me. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner