Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Countdown To Christmas!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
No no no. Comes down by New Year's. Up for two weeks and no longer. I wish my tiny house was even smaller, so I'd have an excuse not to put up anything at all.

The Christmas Season lasts until Epiphany (Theophany) and in some countries aka Three Kings Days. The tradition is that it is the day that the three wise men came to visit Jesus and present Him with gifts. The traditional 12 Days of Christmas end on Epiphany. This is why many Catholic and Orthodox families keep their decorations up until the 6th. When I was growing up, decorations went up on Christmas Eve and came down on the 6th.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Not really flat top. When I was a teen, I lived in the upstairs part of our house by myself.
I put up a tree for Christmas, and forgot about it (busy with highschool classes and sports)
My dad came through the room I had it in one day in July, and the tree was still up.
He said "why is that still up? You need to take that down, it's July!"
I put on my most sincere face and asked "why take it down now? The year is half over..." :D
He wasn't smiling after that comment. So I put it in a closet, and brought it out a few months later (decorated with fake snow and ornaments) and carried it down the hall to my den. Wish I'd had a dolly!!!

amador

A-List Customer
The next house I buy must have permenant Christmas lights installed they would not be noticable the rest of the year, perhaps they would be on a timer. On on 26NOV and off 06JAN. There will be a special switch in the den that controls them. That way I don't have to bother with stringing lights every year. Of course I could have lights permenantly installed on my present house. Well never mind.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
If I could roll out a pre-decorated tree on a dolly cart & have ALL decorations up & then down five weeks later in 30 min's each I'd be a happier camper! Solid Citizen

My late grandmother did just that...she bought a small tree she could put on her end table in front of a window and hot glued all the ornaments on. All she had to do was prop it up, plug it in, and done! Decorated in 5 minutes. ;)

As a kid, ours was always down the 26th. My dad's birthday is the 28th and as a kid, his parents would lump the two together, it was a thriftier choice, they say. So the tree has to be down before Dad's birthday, or he's a very unhappy camper.

Harold Lloyd and his Christmas tree. According to his granddaughter Suzanne Lloyd, with each passing year it became so elaborate with over 5,000 decorations that it eventually became a permanent fixture all year round in the Lloyd home.

tumblr_l6itn7Yc3G1qbcfcko1_500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24