Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Counting Your Change...

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I do not spend any change at all because I promised to give all my pocket change to a Yeshiva I like to support, so when the jar gets full I take it to the bank to run through the counter. I found a couple of pre-clad quarters but oddest of all was a Euro coin. I have no idea how it ended up in the hills of WV, but it was an interesting find.
Anyway, for those interested, I found that by donating every bit of change one can donate around $300 to $400 a year and that can really help out on your taxes.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how we came have these in our possession, but, here are two pre-decimal English pennies:

IMG_4894_zps564b134c.jpg

Both from the reign of George VI. The one on the left is 1937. Prewar. The one on the right is 1948 - postwar. Both solid copper, I believe.

Just handed a handful of change by a customer which included a British 5p coin passed off as a dime. I had no idea they were so tiny now. How the shilling hath fallen.

When I was a kid, we used to get two five-cent coins and glue them together. Then we'd put them into the vending-machines at school to get drinks and stuff. An Australian 5c coin is the same size as a $2 coin. So glue two five-centers together and they're as thick as a $2 coin and the machines (Well, the older ones) couldn't tell the difference!

Last edited:

newsman

One of the Regulars
Something new came thru the till last nite -- an apparent counterfeit quarter. Dated 1985, looks like it's made of cast aluminum or some other very lightweight metal. No copper core visible on the edge, and there were no silver proofs being made in 1985, so either it's a fabulously valuable mint error which will enable me to forever abandon selling popcorn and threading projectors, or somebody stuck us with a dud. Where's the Secret Service when you need them?

I'm no expert in coinage anymore. I lost track of the hobby. But your quarter might not be a fake. In the 1980s the US mint started playing around with coins that were different from the way they were made in the past. One of those, I think, is the 1982 series of pennies. Some were traditionally made, others had zinc inserts, it was all so confusing that collectors bought mint sets just to make sure they had the right one's in their collections.

Some place I managed to find an Italian coin from the late 1800s that had a massive die crack in it. That's the oldest coin I have. And it's worthless except as an example of a wicked die crack.

I take it back. I have one coin from the Roman empire.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Buffalo nickels . . .

[...]
Buffalo nickels, last minted in 1938, were still common until they were overwhelmed by the huge nickel mintages of the mid-sixties, but you could still find them thru the seventies if you looked long enough.
[...]

I acquired two of them out of circulation the other day. Both have the date worn off, a noted flaw of the design.

As BU can sometimes be a bit more than I'm willing to pay, in the very least I always try to find AU.

American coinage between 1916 and the end of WW2 was the most beautiful and dignified in the world. And then we completely forgot how to do it.

Yes, American coinage did have a uniquely distinctive appearance. Now it's starting to look more like foreign money especially with the oversized offset portraits such as found on the nickel.

images

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21