Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Counting Your Change...

green papaya

One Too Many
When I paid for my meal at a local Indian restaurant the owner gave me my change with some Canadian quarters mixed in and thought I wouldnt notice, I used it for his tip and left it on the table.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandfather had a very impressive collection of circulating silver coins picked out of the till at the gas station -- most were well-circulated, but he had complete sets of Barber coins and the post-1916 issues, including a number of rarities. He died in 1980, just when the Hunt Brothers were up to their tricks and the silver market was thru the roof -- and my grandmother sold the entire collection to a silver speculator to pay the bills. I don't remember what she got for it, but whatever it was, it wasn't enough. I still have a few of the coins that managed to not be in the box when the speculator came to pick them up, and I really wish I had the rest.

My grandfather had a very impressive collection of circulating silver coins picked out of the till at the gas station -- most were well-circulated, but he had complete sets of Barber coins and the post-1916 issues, including a number of rarities. He died in 1980, just when the Hunt Brothers were up to their tricks and the silver market was thru the roof -- and my grandmother sold the entire collection to a silver speculator to pay the bills. I don't remember what she got for it, but whatever it was, it wasn't enough. I still have a few of the coins that managed to not be in the box when the speculator came to pick them up, and I really wish I had the rest.

Gee, that was a shame. I supposed it helped pay the bills but it would have been nice to still have the coins.
I got the coins my grandmother put aside because no one else had an interest in them. I have been a numismatist for well over 30 years now so it made sense that I got them. :p
Now it is me who puts aside pre 1982 cents that are actually made of copper---well at least 95% copper anyway.
Fun fact, in some years, the cent had tin added instead of the typical zinc. That actually makes them bronze cents. :p Cents were 95% copper between 1864 and 1981. The Flying Eagle cents from 1856 to the Indian head cents in 1864 were actually made of only 88% copper and 12% nickel.
The only 100% copper cents were the "large cents" which were the size of gold coinage back then---pre-1857.

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Every so often I'll find a Wheat penny, Canadian quarters, and Filipino pesos. I've only found a few Pesos, which I thought was interesting, since that's part of my ethnicity. Finding that in the south east isn't quite that expected. Seattle? Maybe.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I once bought an old treadle sewing machine, and when I got it home I opened it up. I found an old New York City subway token, but the real find was a 1930 English penny in excellent condition. I think that penny had been with the sewing machine since the early 30s. I still have both the token and the penny.

LouisBailie

Banned
I filled up an old water bottle (big glass one) in early 80's and when filled in 2010 I bought a 50 plus inch Sony. Took over 4K in coins to fill it. No pennies all nickles dines quarters. I still have the glass bottle prob worth some coin today.

My dad bought every single proof and mint set/coin the US produced from the late 30s on, until his death in 99 , still have them in a file cabinet in the orig sleeves and folders. Might use them in vending machines if I run low on funds.

That IS a great start. How often do you see silver coins in change these days?

Do you seek out pre-1982 pennies? The copper content of those was 95%, unlike the replacement metal alloy. I wish I had a warehouse full of them...

I once bought an old treadle sewing machine, and when I got it home I opened it up. I found an old New York City subway token, but the real find was a 1930 English penny in excellent condition. I think that penny had been with the sewing machine since the early 30s. I still have both the token and the penny.

I have an 1862 English penny that an acquaintance in the UK sent me.

I have a giant novelty Coke bottle full of old copper pennies. I'd sell them, but I can't lift the bottle.

Let's see at 3 cents apiece, about 145 pennies per pound and the fact that you can't lift it. That is $4.35 per pound and if you can't lift it then it has to be at least 100 pounds or more. So at least $435 sitting around the house. lol lol Get a hand truck and sell them. :p

There might also be some numismatic value if the coins are the correct dates or possible mint errors (A lot more value for mint errors). Such dates as the 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1955 double die etc…….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana