Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of issues with new fedora: pinhole, stains from skin

PRW94

New in Town
Hi, joined and posted a couple of threads earlier this month about my search for a fedora for a Christmas present. I got that present, a caribou gray Stetson Temple I purchased from the Stetson Outlet. I've been wearing the hat regularly since opening the package on Christmas morning, I love it to death and am getting great responses from family, friends, co-workers, etc. I followed the instructions presented here for steaming the brim to get it just right, and it was a breeze, it's absolutely perfect (will post pix at some point, camera on blink), and it's gotten me fired up to get more hats (first a Panama for Father's Day, then probably another fur felt hat, maybe a little different styled fedora, for my birthday). But there are a couple of specific issues I want to inquire about.

1. It took me until today to notice it ... I checked the hat out after getting it before my wife wrapped it up, have worn it every day since Tuesday, and I honestly didn't notice it except by sheer accident today, to show how inconspicuous it really is ... but I now see probably why I got this at pretty much half-price from the Outlet. On the back side of the crown, very close to the hatband, is a tiny pinhole, honestly about what it would be sticking a pin (safety pin size, maybe a little less) through the hat. My wife actually saw it first it because she just happened, in a bright light while we were at the local mall today, to see the tiniest little bit of raised fiber where the hole is. I'm "through the looking glass" as far as sending the hat back (removed the inside sticker from the sweatband, have added a little sizing tape, etc.), not that I would anyway because again, this is absolutely inconspicuous, you have to really look close to see it, and I love this hat. Still, I have to ask, (a.) is there any way to get a pinhole like that to close up on a fur felt hat; and if not, (b.) what's the best way to ensure the hole doesn't get any larger? I figure the best thing to do is "nothing," just thought I'd ask folks with more experience than me.

2. One of my threads was about needing to tighten the hat up a bit, because it was just the slightest shade loose but I didn't want to go to a lower size because IMO if there was any shrinkage it then would be too tight and uncomfortable. The sizing tape Delmonico Hatters sent me gratis after that thread (thanks guys) worked wonderfully and the hat absolutely fits like it should, I look at it in the mirror and it's dead perfect. However, in addition to a large (7 3/4) circular head, I also have Clark Gable ears that sort of point upward at the top, meaning the hat comes in contact with the tops of my ears. The wool fedora I had years ago that I wore until it disintegrated did the same thing, it's not a big deal to me, it's perfectly comfortable. But there already are two dark spots where hat meets ears. I'm sure it's because I have a very oily complexion, even on my ears, something I pretty much have dealt with all my life. I've searched the forum and I understand a white hat sponge is the ideal thing for cleaning grease stains. Here's the thing, though. Given my complexion, this is probably going to repeat itself over and over again. My questions ... is there a point where you can clean a hat too much, especially over and over in a couple of specific spots, to where it could be destructive to the hat? Is there anything you could put on a fur felt hat to help it resist such stains? I know this hat is not going to stay pristine with me wearing it all the time, and I don't want to be overly anal about maintaining it although I certainly want to give it proper maintenance so it will last me a while. And I'm probably going to have the same problem with any felt hat I get. But I don't know that just letting the stains from my oily complexion continue to accumulate is going to be good for the hat, either.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/help/input here!

Well, PRW94, it sounds like you got yourself a perfectly serviceable and fine-lookin' Stetson Temple there. And you got it for very little scratch. That's all to the good.

As to that little pinhole ... If it's as small as I'm imagining it to be, then I say put it out of your mind. Small holes in fur felt can and often do "heal," meaning they seal up over time and with wear. I'd advise against hurrying that process along (through the application of water and friction), because the chances of doing more harm than good are just too high.

As to transferring skin oils from the tops of your ears to the underside of the brim ... Hell, live with it. I may not be quite as hat crazy as some people you'll meet in this joint, but I do love the darned things, and they've become a bigger part of my life than I ever could have imagined. But I've come to accept that even a very, very, very nice hat, deserving of careful handling as it may indeed be, is still just a hat. No hat will stay looking like new through prolonged "real world" use, meaning exposure to the elements and even its owner's oily skin and/or hair. So should your hat fascination progress to anything even close to the levels of obsession you'll encounter here, get enough hats so that your most treasured ones don't get worn very often, and not at all in inclement weather, and a bunch of others (such as your Stetson Temple) that you won't be too heartbroken over when it becomes apparent that they have seen their better days.

PRW94

New in Town
Thanks TonyB, I'll let the hole be, and not worry too much about my "ear stains." :D I'll do the brushing, other normal hat maintenance stuff, but if my ears stain the hat a bit underneath, where nobody but me really knows about it, so be it. It will just mark it as "my hat," and I definitely hope to be adding to the collection (as noted a good Panama is next on my list, followed by a different-brimmed fedora.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
No hat will stay looking like new through prolonged "real world" use, meaning exposure to the elements

I have had that problem for many years, and now have become fed up with having my hats shrink and look worse over time until eventually I have to throw them out and replace them.

This year, I have decided to avoid that problem, yet still use my hats in the real world all the time, by making sure any hat I am wearing will be completely covered whenever any form of precipitation is falling. Granted, I cannot be sure if this plan will work out and actually keep my hats looking new forever, as is my intention.

The downsides to this approach are: one, constantly having to be prepared with these tools is inconvenient; and two, covering my hat sometimes makes me look ridiculous. But, I would rather look ridiculous during some short-term occasions so that on the whole, I can remain looking great (and save money) in the long-term by way of not allowing the elements to degrade my hats.

I submit that the same choice is available to PRW94 and any other hat lover. PRW94, you can probably prevent your ears from staining the hat if you really want to, but you might have to go to extremes to do so. The solution is not to let your ears touch the hat. You could, for example, cover your ears with a product like Earbags before you put the hat on.

Of course, if not going to extremes and accepting the stains is the better option for you, that's fine too. :)

-30-

A-List Customer
"It will just mark it as "my hat,"
QUOTE: PRW94.

I bought a vintage hat at The St Lawrence Antique Market a number of months ago. It was made by a company called

Manleigh Custom Hatters, 352 College Street and is a dark blue fedora. What else do I know of this hat? Well, during 1950,

Might's Toronto City Directory shows that the company was at 295 College Street and owned by a Mr Phillip Bloom - (the hatter)

So, was this hat made during the late 1940's (then having moved to 352 College) or was the reverse true; don't yet know.

But what I do know is that the man who's hat this was, took particular thought of what he was wearing. - "Beaver Quality"

on the sweat, grosgrain edge binding c/w matching 1 1/8 band & bow, and although used and lightly so, was of a very fine

spec. The "only fly in the ointment" is a very light smudge on the right hand side under brim from where his right ear some-

time touched. It didn't appEAR to bother him, and it doesn't bother me, for now I know just a little bit more as to what the

previous owner was like. It is called Provinance and it shows a snippet as to who he was and, who we are/were.

Be yourself, and the hat will follow.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Re: the pinhole, a little gentle massaging around the hole might persuade the hole to close up somewhat. If that doesn't work, I'd forget about it.

For the Spock-ear problem, you could try Scout felt hat rain & stain protector on the underside of the brim. I think it's a pretty benign product, and works well from all reports. Scroll down here: http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=hat

I'm of the general opinion that a hat should be worn and forgotten - a dirty or worn-out hat is an opportunity (excuse) to buy a new hat.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I have had that problem for many years, and now have become fed up with having my hats shrink and look worse over time until eventually I have to throw them out and replace them.

You just throw 'em out? Heck I'd be happy if you threw 'em out my way. I've been wanting to try and refurbish beat-up hats, but living in a country with no fur felt hats makes that task next to impossible to practice.

PRW94

New in Town
Couple o' responses:

1. Don't think I want to do the Earbags. They would sort of mess up the impact of the fedora IMO. :D

2. The only thing about the Scout protector ... searching the archives here (and I'm getting a better handle on doing it so I hope I won't be asking repetitive questions anymore), I saw at least one post about colorfastness issues with this particular Stetson. It's one of those cases where the Scout protector seems like something I'd love to try, but at the same time I have a bit of uneasiness about maybe making things worse. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience with the colorfastness of this hat could chime in. Thanks again for the help!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Couple o' responses:

1. Don't think I want to do the Earbags. They would sort of mess up the impact of the fedora IMO. :D

2. The only thing about the Scout protector ... searching the archives here (and I'm getting a better handle on doing it so I hope I won't be asking repetitive questions anymore), I saw at least one post about colorfastness issues with this particular Stetson. It's one of those cases where the Scout protector seems like something I'd love to try, but at the same time I have a bit of uneasiness about maybe making things worse. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience with the colorfastness of this hat could chime in. Thanks again for the help!

The Scout product will work on your hat, just use it very lightly and be careful as to where you direct the spray. I used that same product on a Stratoliner (new one, not vintage) and it worked just fine. I think if you take time when using the spray, and do not use a lot of it at one time, just try to mist the underside of the brim with it, you should not have any negative results. You can always put something like clear plastic wrap, (do not use newspaper) over the opening of the hat so you would not be getting on the inside or on the leather sweatband.

ClaraBelles_Hats_etc

New in Town
sometimes it's best to just put a bit of adjustment material inside between the crown and the grosgrain.
The best adjustment material is pellon interfacing, nonfusible. This way if your hairstyle changes, the hat can then be made to fit again.

The pin hole was most likely made by a past price tag placement. A good steaming and a gentle soft brushing back anf forth across the area should close the hole.

Judith M millinery supplies has a good product for removing stains, as well as waterproofing your Stetson.

I'm a milliner / hat maker by trade, so message me if you need any additional help.

Last edited:

fenris

One of the Regulars
I actually have a brand new black Stetson Temple that I reblocked and rebashed as I wasn't too fond of how it initially looked on me.

Dunked the hat in a pail of water and I can tell you that the color did not bleed as some have said it might. ...And I held it in the water until it completely soaked through! So I wouldn't be afraid of using the Scout cleaner.

Oh, the pinhole could also have come from a hat pin which was accidentally stuck in the felt instead of the ribbon. Did your hat come with the hat pin?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I say, live with both things. The older I get, the less fussy I get as a customer. It saves everyone a lot of angst, and allows you to keep your powder dry for the bigger things in life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21