Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Dale, your boots appear to have the same stitch pattern on the back of the shaft as the ones Bob posted. Do your Dad's boots share the same pattern?

Dale, your boots appear to have the same stitch pattern on the back of the shaft as the ones Bob posted. Do your Dad's boots share the same pattern?
Yes, same pattern. I always thought it looked kinda like flames. Those were my Dad's stage boots back when he was a steel guitar player in the 50s. My grandparents had a farm, and when I was a kid back in the 70s, I remember my dad using these for work boots. Even back then I was horrified, but to him, I guess, they were just old boots. That pair, more than anything else, is what instilled in me my love for cowboy boots, especially the flashy ones.

Dale, I can see how they started that love. My Dad was never a fan of them but one of my favorite uncles always wore cowboy boots and he's the one that instilled that love for them in me.

I'd almost bet your Dad's boots are ACME's.

Dale, I can see how they started that love. My Dad was never a fan of them but one of my favorite uncles always wore cowboy boots and he's the one that instilled that love for them in me.

I'd almost bet your Dad's boots are ACME's.
Funny thing is, outside of plowing the fields in these, my dad never wore them either. He never had another pair. Both of my uncles did, though, a lot. Just none quite as fancy.

I found just this one boot at an antique mall -- I think it's the right. This one will probably get more use that my others though.

Made by Federal Glass Co. Hyer Boot history link: https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/hyer-boot-company/12093

20194518223_ba5aed2c4b_z.jpg

20789210396_9fbe473568_z.jpg

Love that kinda stuff, Bob. Lots of boot history near you and a few custom makers. Pay a visit to one of them and I bet you have some boots that see a lot of use.

Thanks Joao, Bob, and Bamaboots!

Bama, they barely fit. They're clearly marked 11.5D, which is a half bigger than I usually wear, but my toes are crammed way down to the end. Definitely not an all day pair.

Bob I had a cool Schwinn cruiser a few years back. Someone relieved me of it while I wasn't looking. I snagged this old Murray at a used bike shop for super cheap earlier this summer. I'm still on the lookout for a Schwinn, but I'm not motivated to break the bank again for one.

Last edited:
Thanks Harv. They certainly aren't in too bad of shape, considering they're probably at least 15 to 20 years older than I am.

Did you feel it? I did, the earth slipped its axis. I've sold four pairs of boots and bought three or four hats since last adding to my boot collection. A package arrived yesterday that righted things, a bit anyway. These are Olsen-Stelzer boots in black kangaroo with a calf top. I own one pair of Olsen-Stelzer's that are vintage, year unknown as the original boot co. in Henrietta, TX closed its doors in 1980. Montana boots, a Mexican boot co. carried the name until 1988 when they went out of business. The company lay dormant for awhile until 1991 when a group of businessmen in Henrietta bought the rights to the name in hopes of reviving the brand and bringing the business back to Henrietta. Ammons made boots under the O-S name for awhile and these look as if they may have been made during this time due to the stitch pattern on the toes and shafts.

In 2006 a couple of fairly well known bootmakers, one from MO and the other from OK were recruited to revive the brand. They restarted the company and it operated for awhile until one of the partners, in 2008 approached the Henrietta Growth Corp. for a $28,000 loan for the company operating as Big Sky Custom Boots, in an effort to expand the production facility and to bring on a couple more bootmakers. Later that year the partner disappeared after telling employees he was taking a few days off for Christmas. When the HGC went to inspect the expansion project they found little work done and the partner missing, whereabouts unknown. The company closed again a short time later. In 2009 the missing bootmaker was located working for an AK custom bootmaking outfit that had bought the equipment when Big Sky Custom Boots was liquidated. The company was again revived in 2012 and operates to this day in Witchita Falls, TX. Sorry for rambling, I could tell more.
CIMG0507.JPG CIMG0508.JPG CIMG0509.JPG

Thanks, Bob, dh66 and RJR,

When the missus gets back from Boise mañana, and doesn't notice the new hat or boot box, congratulate me then. Until then, I'm having a large time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo