Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Bamaboots -- your collection never ceases to amaze. Worth the double photos!

This ratty pair followed me home from the thrift last night. Made in the USA but that's about all I know. They are my size, fit well and cleaned up OK. For the $6.46 price I can wear them at the farm.

20375476205_c31f1de7cf_z.jpg

Bamaboots -- your collection never ceases to amaze. Worth the double photos!

This ratty pair followed me home from the thrift last night. Made in the USA but that's about all I know. They are my size, fit well and cleaned up OK. For the $6.46 price I can wear them at the farm.

20375476205_c31f1de7cf_z.jpg
$6.46!!!!!! ......you can't beat that, Bob. (Well, ok, maybe free....) They look good. I have an old pair about that color, great for beating around in because they don't show scuffs. Congrats on adding to your collection.

Same here, Bob. Never find them thrifting around here.
Pretty much the same down here. Every now and then I come across a pair but they are always so ratty that they're aren't worth picking up.

a5c23cf72ef6780240fed74ad8dd22f8.jpg

Here's an exception. I nabbed these at a thrifty back in the very early 90s. They're entirely too small for me but there was no way I was gonna walk away from them.

Thanks Bob. They are made by Texas Boot Co.
I have a similar pair of ACMEs that belonged to my dad when he was a musician back in the 50s, with orange and white eagles. They're posted somewhere back in this thread.

BTW, these have been in the classifieds for awhile, if any one wears an 8 1/2. I'd come off 'em, I'm just not that motivated to list them on epay.

SHE finally put her foot down a while ago and told me to get those damn boots off of the floor. Now either I underestimated the amount of shelving I would need, or was so slow about that I accumulated several more pair before completion of the project. Oh well, back to Lowes. CIMG0337.jpg CIMG0338.jpg

Wow!! And my wife thought I had a problem.

It's a good problem to have, though. We're blessed to be able to have it. Looks great, Bama!

Some time back I was reading through a bootmakers forum and the discussion centered around the favorite leathers the makers enjoyed working with. While the concensus was that calf, ostrich and kangaroo was something they all agreed was worthy of a cowboy boot, and their favorites to work with, the talk soon turned to what leather they hated to use.

Some makers conceded that they would work with whatever their customers requested, while some had drawn the line on what they were willing to work with. In particular, Abilene, TX bootmaker Tex Robin said that during his career he had made boots out of pretty much anything that could be tanned into leather. He said he had made boots from the skins of frogs, snakes, fish and many other leathers.

Robin said that he was finished working with most exotic skins that many seemed to want. He was most passionate about his disdain for working with most water borne skins. He will not build boots from shark, stingray or snake. He said he would direct customers to those makers who had a willingness to work with shark, stingray, snake and elephant, which is another leather he found too inconsistent to work with.

During this discussion Robin mentioned he had even made a pair out of Gallapava. That sounded familiar to me but I didn't recall it was Spanish for turkey until a little while later. Sounded goofy to me and I thought I had seen boots made out of everything, but never turkey skin. By the way, "Gallapava" was trademarked by the Fouke Co., the tannery that developed the process for turning turkey skins into Gallapava leather.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I was trolling epay yesterday and saw my first pair of turkey skin boots. Made by Justin. And if you've got a thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket and a strong desire to be shod in turkey, go for it.
image.jpg

I guess they'd be good to wear for Thanksgiving dinner. [emoji14]

Really, they look a lot like ostrich skin with smaller quill bumps. But if you decide to get them, be sure to post them in the weird stuff thread.

Last edited:
Dale, you'll never see that. They were developed as an alternative to ostrich with similar characteristics except for the toughness. Everything I've ever read on the leather speaks of its fragility. What I did find interesting is that the Fouke Co. was the last processor of seal skins in the U.S. before the ban. I guess they were looking for alternatives to stay in business. It didn't work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy