Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crochet anyone?

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I was wondering if anybody knows how to crochet. I've noticed a lot of lovely vintage crochet patterns, but I don't know how to. What's the best way to learn if I don't know anybody that could teach me? Does anybody want to share some crochet pictures?

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I am actually learning right now myself and I love it! I have been taking classes at the local Michaels. The instructor is really nice, as are the other women in the class, and you can't beat the price...$15 for 2 hours. I have had an easy time picking it up and I imagine you would only need one class to get started.

I bought a really helpful book called Encyclopedia of Crochet by Donna Kooler. There are some patterns in it, as well as, explanations and photos of dozens of stitches. I recommend it. As far as vintage crochet patterns go, I have had luck finding them on Ebay.

Good luck! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I crochet. I come from a long line of crochetters.

However..I am rubbish at pattern reading.

My mother can make lace...and all sorts of lovely things.

Because I get frustrated reading patterns, I tend to skip making anything nicer then scarves. I should be more patient and master the secret pattern reading code.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
I was wondering if anybody knows how to crochet. I've noticed a lot of lovely vintage crochet patterns, but I don't know how to. What's the best way to learn if I don't know anybody that could teach me? Does anybody want to share some crochet pictures?
What type of learner are you? Visual, verbal, or through doing? I learned from a very basic "how to crochet book." I'm pretty good with visual/spatial activities, so I was able to figure it out from the photos and text. If you need to see the entire process first rather than steps you may find it easier after watching a video online (there might be some here under "traditional crochet" http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html?). It's not hard at all- I prefer it to knitting because there's only one hook to worry about!

I haven't really gotten around to doing any lace doilies or vintage patterns though because they often require small hooks, and after my ill fated attempt to do some bead crochet a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I'd get terribly bored and titchy trying to hold a teeny piece of lace! :p I would definitely recommend you start with a size H or larger hook and worsted weight yarn to get the hang of it, before graduating to smaller hooks to do the vintage patterns.

leaette

A-List Customer
me me me!!! i love to crochet. i do it every night. well, i try to. it's my therapy.
i recommend this book:
Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting (Teach Yourself Visually) by Kim P. Werker and Cecily Keim

I got mine at Borders bookstore but you can also get it on Amazon. I keep this book in my yarn box next to my recliner and refer to it often.
But I would suggest taking a class at Michaels, or Joanns. Or find someone to teach you. If you want to move to Pittsburgh, I'll teach you! hahah. lol

I would highly recommend starting with a larger hook and cotton yarn and make some dishcloths up. (the paper label on the yarn will tell you what hook they recommend) They are small, you can get almost instant satisfaction from them (I can make one in about 45 min). You can practice stitches and if you mess it up, no biggie, it's a dishcloth! You can get cotton yarn cheap at walmart or Joanns. like $1.50 a skein.

I also go to this forum alot. www.crochetville.org
it's just like this forum but it's for crocheting.

happy hooking!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm a beginning knitter and I took a class a a local small craft shop which helped tremendously. Seeing someone do it and watch you try it - really does make a difference. Do plenty of small items like dish towels, scarves or simple hats. This will help you get used to reading patterns. I got somewhat proficient for a while. However - then summer hit and the desire was not quite there. Winter came again and I found that I couldn't quite remember what I had learned. Pick up a book that has sketches or photos of the step by step. I cannot recommend this enough. Plenty of really fun ones at Barnes and Noble or Borders on the sale racks.

It is a fabulous hobby to have - go for it!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I never made it past scarves. I tried a hat once. It was sad. I would love to be able to make flowers and snoods at the very least.

leaette

A-List Customer
ok everyone....field trip to Pittsburgh and we can have a FL crochet fest! I'll help everyone.
We can all make the same snoods. We can make red ones and be our own "Red Snood Society"! hahaha.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Wow! Thank you ladies for all of the advice. I'll have to stop by Barnes and Noble to see what books they have. I'm a visual learner so the books might be a better way especially since I don't have time to go to a class. I'll try out a scarf and see where that leads.

Leaette- Too bad I'm not closer to your area. Haha. That would be fun. Thank you for the sites!!!

I'd love to see pictures of some things you ladies or gentlemen have made.:D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
leaette said:
ok everyone....field trip to Pittsburgh and we can have a FL crochet fest! I'll help everyone.
We can all make the same snoods. We can make red ones and be our own "Red Snood Society"! hahaha.

lol lol lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I just taught myself to crochet a few months ago. I made 3 scarves. I am a scarf making fool.. That's all I know how to do with both knitting AND crochet. lol
I can't read patterns to save my life, it's like trying to read a foreign language...and I suck at that.
I learn best by doing, or watching it done, and I have found video tutorials online that really help me out. The books/diagrams are hard for me to read/interpret, but the videos have been a life saver. I found a local yarn store that has classes occasionally, and I hope to take some there. scheduling around my daughter is hard so for now I am stuck with the videos. I wish there was a friend close by that I could crochet/knit with.

Anyways, RBD, I hope these tutorials can help you out. http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html I have been meaning to try out some new stitches since I can only single crochet for the moment. I need to double crochet to make the curly-Q's for my daughter!

And Leatte.. you are cracking me up!!! I'm down for the red snood!

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
I was doing research on the 'net on crocheting as I opened up this thread! Its was meant to be! lol

My family is big into crocheting, but I never learned. Its my New Year's resolution!

My Grandmother taught me to crochet many years ago. Then I touught myself to knit. I do know that I hold the chrochet hook incorrectly but that is the way she did it and I learned it, so I can't get my hand to hold it the correct way. But as long as it comes out the same I don't think it matters.
Most of the crocheting I do is vintage doll patterns.
If you can do a single crochet, you can do any of the other stitches as they are all based off it.
It is easy to learn from a book.
Don't be afraid of patterns....if anyone ever needs help interpreting something in a pattern just PM me and I'll be glad to help.:D
I am wrking on a vintage knit sweater now, taking a break from the crochet.
Here are some of the dolly outfit's I have made. There are all from 1950's patterns.
DSCF0904.jpg

redskate1.jpg

mhlouise2.jpg

certainlyred

New in Town
I love to crochet! Actually, I'm minoring in fiber arts right now. The best resource I found for learning crochet was Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker. Her instructions are concise, not at all confusing, and accompanied by well-drawn illustrations. Basically, it all just makes sense. And it teaches you to read patterns, which is indispensable for a crochet-er.

True, it costs money to buy the book (opposed to free internet sites), but it's my crochet Bible, and it comes with a ton of really cute patterns.

At Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Bitch-Crochet-Happy-Hooker/dp/0761139850/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201140332&sr=8-1

leaette

A-List Customer
our library has stitch n' bitch crochet so check your library. that's a good way to try a book out before buying it. if you don't like it, you're out nothing.

those doll clothes are great. i ADORE that red ice skating dress.

i don't make vintage stuff with my crocheting. i make a lot of dishcloths for gifts. the women in my family love them. i made my sister an afghan for xmas. i made several blankets for my son, afghan for my husband. i make my own hats/scarves.
i have some crochet pattern books from the 30's and 40's. but i haven't used them for anything yet.

leaette

A-List Customer
the only reason why i know that is because i take my son to a play group there and we sing songs and read stories. and one day, i stuck around and asked if they had a craft section and sure enough, there are knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, etc books in that section.
and she said that if i want a specific book and it's not there, they can order it from another library and they can have it sent in for me. so that's good to know too.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
CherryRed said:

That's it! That's the cutest ever crochet doll outfit I have EVER seen. Which pattern did you get it from if you don't mind my asking, then I can look it out on the bay!

I love crochet, I was taught by a Maltese lady when I used to work as a receptionist. She was on the evening shifts with me and we used to take the opportunity of a quiet hour here and there.

I would definitely recommend getting someone to show you if possible, but I'm sure that you will be just fine if you persevere. Stick to something small and quick to make at first, in a double knit wool perhaps.

Good to have "hooked up" with some other crochet fans out there....excuse the truly terrible pun......lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot