Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs - buttoned or better press stud ?? ... and which shape looks best ??

Windward

Practically Family
Hi all,

want to order another jacket but this time with cuffs which can be opened. I think it looks "cool" when the cuffs left open...and practical when washing hands.

1. Any opinion and comment about buttoned cuffs or better stud press ? ( I am inclined to order hidden stud press)

2. The shapes seems to be different from style to style - what do you prefer: pointed or rounded cuff ends?
Any regularities or system with the different styles?

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3 - probably my favourite ... but with covered press stud.

Thanks
Windward

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I prefer a button cuff over the snap (popper). Also, if a repair is needed, much easier to handle the former over the latter.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Keep in mind, when you open the cuffs, the sleeves will lengthen. I've always liked the look of buttons, but the practicality of studs. I've found once I unbutton the cuffs, I don't re-button right away, let'em hang, re-buttoning is sometimes an effort or else I'm just a backhanded klutz. I've also had studs pull out over time (and of course buttons are fragile also, break or come loose) so they are not as foolproof as you think (the top, female, part ends up working its way right through the leather...yes, even--and especially fqhh), if you are rough with them--like ripping them open hard all the time.

Windward

Practically Family
Hi WindWard

I like No. 3 as well...but think the stud showing gives it a great look!!
HD

Hi HoosierDaddy - I'll take that into consideration - my first thougt was I'll order with A2 snap collar so the cuffs with hidden press snap will be a better matching.

Windward

Practically Family
Well..that's true too. Perfect match then!
Now we need more details..(another Windward?)...hide??....color??...Lining??..etc??
HD

ALRIGHT- I see I have to lay the cards on the table... FIRST DRAFT:

- Windward 46" pattern
- standard Windward handwarmer pockets
- WITHOUT the corded effects
- WITHOUT the epaulettes
- ONE breast pocket
- CUFFS with press stud
- HIDE dark chocolate brown standard FQ Horsehide
- LINING brown cotton drill
- ZIPPER antique brass hardware - (breast pocket with ball and chain)
- inside pocket with stud press

I would say the jacket is then "less busy" - as someone mentioned - and almost totally changed the whole look...

Last edited:
Windy: I've for both.
Love buttons for looks.
Love snaps (on my Aero 50's HBD) for ease of use. I got those specifically because I knew I'd wear it in the cold where gloves and less than nimble fingers would conspire to frustrate. Good call if I do say so.
Another option: get snaps but hidden like an A-2 collar. They'd be hide end yet easy to use. Over time, the area over the snap would show the snap outline and look cool (IMHO)

Haha. Sorry for the above. I opened this thread, but delayed the reply post for a while watching hockey. I see you thought of the hidden snap. Good call.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I prefer option 3(studs) however I think that the extra use over the hidden studs on an A2 collar may lead to excessive wear on the leather and would need a repairing after a few years, that wouldn't look good, for that reason I'd go for exposed studs!

D

Windward

Practically Family
Windy: I've for both.
Love buttons for looks.
Love snaps (on my Aero 50's HBD) for ease of use. I got those specifically because I knew I'd wear it in the cold where gloves and less than nimble fingers would conspire to frustrate. Good call if I do say so.
Another option: get snaps but hidden like an A-2 collar. They'd be hide end yet easy to use. Over time, the area over the snap would show the snap outline and look cool (IMHO)

Hi Butte - YES - thats my opinion too !

I prefer option 3(studs) however I think that the extra use over the hidden studs on an A2 collar may lead to excessive wear on the leather and would need a repairing after a few years, that wouldn't look good, for that reason I'd go for exposed studs!D
If it's FQHH or any thick HH, those snaps won't show through before Windy is dust in the wind... lol

Edward

Bartender
ALRIGHT- I see I have to lay the cards on the table... FIRST DRAFT:

- Windward 46" pattern
- standard Windward handwarmer pockets
- WITHOUT the corded effects
- WITHOUT the epaulettes
- ONE breast pocket
- CUFFS with press stud
- HIDE dark chocolate brown standard FQ Horsehide
- LINING brown cotton drill
- ZIPPER antique brass hardware - (breast pocket with ball and chain)
- inside pocket with stud press

I would say the jacket is then "less busy" - as someone mentioned - and almost totally changed the whole look...

Before you go any further, you might want to check in with Aero (assuming you haven't already) as to whether they'll do this. The position for a while is that Ken is keen to move away from customisation, instead offering a wider range of stock designs. Also, not sure they're still doing the Windward?

That said... the basic mods all sound fine to me, and I think will actually improve it. The Windward was a design that always did look just that little bit too 'busy' for my tastes. I like the shape of both button cuffs in your op. I have the pointed style on two of my jackets (30s Halfbelt and as a modification on a Bootlegger), and I like it very much. The rounded one looks cool too - if that was an option, I'd be tempted by it in future, just for the difference. In terms of studs v buttons... Mine are both buttoned, and I very definitely prefer the look. On these particular designs, I think they look 'right' in a way a stud would not. A stud would certainly be easier to use. That said, while the buttons are still stiff on my Bootlegger (which has the double-thickness, leather lined cuffs), they are much easier to open and close on the 30s Halfbelt, which has the standard, single-thickness leather cuffs lined in the same material as the rest of the jacket. I imagine they will often up with use, though I never unbutton them as my hands fit in just fine without needing to do that. To my eye an exposed stud would be better: for me, cuffs without the fastening (be that button or be it stud) visible would just look 'wrong', but there's no functional reason not to go for a hidden stud if you prefer that.

Here's mine. Like I said, it's mainly a colder weather jacket for me, and I liked the studs a lot when wearing gloves...

IMG_1307.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Windward is still on the roster as far as I can see. I'm just sitting watching a BBC doc on Golden Period Hollywood, I'd never liked the short, elasticated waist, but I get the style now. I guess it wouldn't suit short stocky builds, though. I'd need to try one on...

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Before you go any further, you might want to check in with Aero (assuming you haven't already) as to whether they'll do this. The position for a while is that Ken is keen to move away from customisation, instead offering a wider range of stock designs. Also, not sure they're still doing the Windward?

That said... the basic mods all sound fine to me, and I think will actually improve it. The Windward was a design that always did look just that little bit too 'busy' for my tastes. I like the shape of both button cuffs in your op. I have the pointed style on two of my jackets (30s Halfbelt and as a modification on a Bootlegger), and I like it very much. The rounded one looks cool too - if that was an option, I'd be tempted by it in future, just for the difference. In terms of studs v buttons... Mine are both buttoned, and I very definitely prefer the look. On these particular designs, I think they look 'right' in a way a stud would not. A stud would certainly be easier to use. That said, while the buttons are still stiff on my Bootlegger (which has the double-thickness, leather lined cuffs), they are much easier to open and close on the 30s Halfbelt, which has the standard, single-thickness leather cuffs lined in the same material as the rest of the jacket. I imagine they will often up with use, though I never unbutton them as my hands fit in just fine without needing to do that. To my eye an exposed stud would be better: for me, cuffs without the fastening (be that button or be it stud) visible would just look 'wrong', but there's no functional reason not to go for a hidden stud if you prefer that.

Hi Edward - Thanks for so many thoughts and sharing your experiences on this topic ....!

Windward

Practically Family
The Windward is still on the roster as far as I can see. I'm just sitting watching a BBC doc on Golden Period Hollywood, I'd never liked the short, elasticated waist, but I get the style now. I guess it wouldn't suit short stocky builds, though. I'd need to try one on...

Sloan - the elasticated sides are not visible from the front and not from behind if you see my fit pics. Sure, its a short jacket and all of my Windwards are customized and I would say they have 1,5" added to the body lenght ... I am 5'9" / 200lb without a beer belly (redwine just fine) and probably this model is made for similiar body types like mine. Who knows?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looking forward to seeing the results. It'll be nice to see one of the less common jackets up here. It's like the Route 66: never thought anything of it, until I actually tried one on in the factory, and was immediately sold on the style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner