Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs or no cuffs

Willybob

A-List Customer
Hi all. Willybob here. First time thread poster, long time stalker. Thanks to all who have posted so much great info about outerwear. You're insight and experience has Been invaluable. I'm writing to ask members your opinions about knit cuffs on Aero jackets. I'm sure there probably has already been a thread about it but I'm the FNG so I haven't seen it. I just ordered my LHB in Cordovan FQHH and I'm not sure if I really need knit cuffs at the wrist. I don't ride scooters anymore so I'm not in the wind. If I wear the jacket in really cold weather I'll most likely be wearing a long sleeve T and /or a flannel shirt buttoned at the wrist. Will cuffs be to restrictive? Do I really need em? What are your thoughts. Thanks for any input.

trapp

Practically Family
Welcome! Others will chime in as well, but if you won't be riding then you probably don't need the cuffs. Most people seem to either be ambivalent about them, or downright not like them (on jackets like the Highwaymen, LHB, etc). I had them on a 50s halfbelt and wasn't crazy about them.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, Willybob, I have the LHB and got it without the knits, and I'm really glad I did. Without them, you can wear the jacket on days when the cuffs would have been too warm. The nice thing about the LHB is that it's a 1950's design, which is a bit roomier than the earlier ones, and if you might need a little warmth you can fit a sweater under it. Excellent choice of jacket.

Aether

One of the Regulars
I've got them, but wouldn't want them again. I find they hitch up and leave my shirt sleeves exposed, which is irritating.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Depends where you live. I'm looking out at a howling gale and sleet piling up on my windows at the moment, so storm cuffs are just the ticket. If I lived in California, I doubt that's going to pose the same problem.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I used to have two HWM jackets, one with and the other without storm cuffs. I much prefered the sleeves without storm cuffs and found the cuffs restrictive and got in the way. Just my experience.

Edward

Bartender
I'd say it's totally down to personal preference. They've never been a problem for me on my HWM, not with watches, not with shirts, not with anything else, nor have they ever made the jacket too warm when I'd otherwise wear it. I'd definitely go for them in something I was planning as a Winter jacket, if they're an option, while if I was going to exclusively wear it in late Spring/early Summer, it wouldn't be such a priority. I don't think I'd miss them on my HWM (which I wear as often as this ridiculously hot country allows, March through September), but they've never been a problem either. [huh] Different strikes for different folks, though.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Edward. Never been problem for me. I got storm cuffs on a Highwayman because I ride, but don't have them on any other jacket. Although I wish I had gotten them on my Thunder Bay for wear with temps in the 20s. Storm cuffs do a good job of cutting down on air transfer in the jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I agree with Edward. Never been problem for me. I got storm cuffs on a Highwayman because I ride, but don't have them on any other jacket. Although I wish I had gotten them on my Thunder Bay for wear with temps in the 20s. Storm cuffs do a good job of cutting down on air transfer in the jacket.

Do they not come as standard on the Thunderbay? That's worth knowing - for a very dedicated cold-weather jacket like that, I'd see them as a definite plus.

Superfluous

I prefer jackets without storm cuffs for the reasons noted above. I live in a climate where storm cuffs are never required by the weather. The one exception is my N-1 . . . there, I like the storm cuffs because that is my goto jacket for travel to colder climates.

Peacoat

Bartender
Do they not come as standard on the Thunderbay? That's worth knowing - for a very dedicated cold-weather jacket like that, I'd see them as a definite plus.

No, not a standard feature. Wade asked me about them, but without thinking it through, I said I didn't need them. And I knew it would be a cold weather jacket.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Thanks for all you're great input. For those of you who have cuffs, how hard do think it would been to remove them if I decided I did not like them. Is the cuff attached directly to the seem where the leather joins the liner or at a second seem sandwiched in the liner itself. I have two cloth jackets with cuffs which I never wear anymore and the cuffs are attached to the liner two iches from the sleeve seem. I have this habit of modifying practically everything I get so this would not scare me. I'm a tool guy. In addition to nail guns and welders I own three sewing machines which I don' t let my bride touch.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all you're great input. For those of you who have cuffs, how hard do think it would been to remove them if I decided I did not like them. Is the cuff attached directly to the seem where the leather joins the liner or at a second seem sandwiched in the liner itself. I have two cloth jackets with cuffs which I never wear anymore and the cuffs are attached to the liner two iches from the sleeve seem. I have this habit of modifying practically everything I get so this would not scare me. I'm a tool guy. In addition to nail guns and welders I own three sewing machines which I don' t let my bride touch.

below is a prior thread on how to remove the storm cuffs.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?46146-Storm-Cuff-Removal-with-pictures

pauleway

Practically Family
Do yourself a favor, don't get them. Saves you time and $ when you decide to get them removed, or removing them yourself!

ProteinNerd

I didn't mind the feel of them at all, I had no issues with watches (I always wear one) or them getting in the way of shirts. I actually found that the knit almost helped secure the sleeve in place. From that perspective I actually quite liked it...

BUT they do increase the warmth of the jacket by trapping the heat in and I think that may restrict wearing the jacket when its cool, but not cold. I guess it depends on your local climate and how cold it gets and how often its cold.

If I was to order a jacket again that came with them as standard, I'd specify not to have them and just wear a warmer layer underneath if it was cold enough to warrant it. I just feel you would get more opportunity to wear in autumn and maybe spring that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183