Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curling Irons

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I'd like to start trying to do rolls and pin curls and I thought having a curling iron might be helpful. I'd love to hear any recommendations for which one to buy since there are so many on the market and I have no experience. High end, low end, anything would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

roots66

One of the Regulars
On the low end, the Conair Instant Heat models are swell. They do heat up quickly, they have a variable temperature dial, and it's very easy to wipe off styling product gunk from the ceramic surface.

But Hot Sticks curls last much, much longer.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
when i'm doing my hair, i usually use hot sticks AND a curing iron. i always end up with a few spots that need some perking up or rounding out, so i use the curling iron for that. I also sometimes use it for making little rolls and things, especially since my hair is so un-bendy i can't get the ends tucked in nicely without it!

roots66

One of the Regulars
ShooShooBaby said:
when i'm doing my hair, i usually use hot sticks AND a curing iron. i always end up with a few spots that need some perking up or rounding out, so i use the curling iron for that. I also sometimes use it for making little rolls and things, especially since my hair is so un-bendy i can't get the ends tucked in nicely without it!

Oh, same here...irons do come in handy for that, and for doing bangs as well, since it's typically an exercise in futility to try to wind them around a Stick. But again, pincurled or cold-roller bangs usually last longer on me--thank goodness they dry pretty quickly.

Forgot to mention that I also have a higher end Jilbere model (which came free with a triple barrel iron at Sally's several months ago) that's also good, but apart from a fancy LCD digital read-out telling me exactly how many degrees at which my hair is being fried, it's no better or worse than the cheapo Conair irons.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
If you are going to use a curling iron I would say the low end, the silver/grey Conair's at the store are pretty good. They are smooth to work with and heat up fast. Don't get the gold Conair's though.They don't heat up enough to have any worth.

If you go to a beauty supply, I like the Hot Tools, as well as Jilbere or Helen of Troy. Get the gold ones or the purple ones. You want a temperature control. Ceramic is nice and smooth, but I find for my hair (thick and of medium texture) I really like the shiny gold ones. They get really hot and hold a curl great. The ceramic ones tend to be slippery on my hair. But they work nicely. DO NOT get any of the irons that are the shiny silver and under $10. They take forever to heat up and your hair will stick to them if you use any sort of product. They don't clean up good either.

One more thing. If you are going to do a mix of some type of hot roller and curling iron, make sure you get an iron in a similar diameter as your roller. For instance...Hot Sticks Rollers=1/2" or 5/8" iron. Remmington heated rag rollers= 5/8" or 3/4" iron. Regular hot rollers=1" or 1 1/2" iron.

epr25

Practically Family
I personally prefer the gold and hot brand from Sally beauty supply. They heat up really well and are actually hot. After using one of these and going back to the other cheaper brands I can't believe how badly they work. This might just be my hair though?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
epr25 said:
I personally prefer the gold and hot brand from Sally beauty supply. They heat up really well and are actually hot. After using one of these and going back to the other cheaper brands I can't believe how badly they work. This might just be my hair though?

That's what I meant to say! Gold N Hot! Instead of the Helen of Troy. I couldn't remember.. I really should have gone the 20 steps to my curling iron stash and looked.:rolleyes: lol
They are awesome.

OOh, Speaking of curling irons... has anyone used one of those lipless curling irons? I just won one on ebay...I can't wait to try it out!!:D

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Thanks so much for all your help ladies! I think I'll take a look at Sally's and try to find Gold N Hot or Hot Tools. I've seen a bunch of Conair ones at Target so maybe I'll check them out next time I'm there too.

~*Red*~ said:
If you are going to do a mix of some type of hot roller and curling iron, make sure you get an iron in a similar diameter as your roller. For instance...Hot Sticks Rollers=1/2" or 5/8" iron. Remmington heated rag rollers= 5/8" or 3/4" iron. Regular hot rollers=1" or 1 1/2" iron.

Thanks for clarifying this part, I forgot to ask what size. I will definitely be using them mostly to touch up curls so that's really helpful to know. I have the Remmington and I'm probably going to get some Hot Sticks so the 5/8 should be good :)

zaika

One Too Many
i have a marcel curling iron...and i love it.
when i have time, i just do pin curls and touch up with a curling iron. if i don't have time, curling iron all the way!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
zaika said:
i have a marcel curling iron...and i love it.
when i have time, i just do pin curls and touch up with a curling iron. if i don't have time, curling iron all the way!

Aren't they the best? Once you get the hang of it, it makes curling so much easier.. just click right on through!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael