Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current custom shops

GateXC did say that Quinn had gone in another direction. Too bad. I went into the shop last year and was enamored with the suits because he had the whole 1966 mod Michael Caine look going. Not that I could afford his suits anyway, which I think are overpriced by about a grand.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well, we shall see when they open their doors here in CA.

Holland and Holland went from the country hunter to becoming English Modonna in style. sort of a ' we're tweed, though we're ultra cool tattered tweed shorts with a T-shirt... that coupled with the idea that people don't wear suits in LA is what I believe caused the shop to dissapear in short time.

From the looks of those ads, DQ has an audience and it's trying to catch the trendsetting crowd. They do bespoke, they are very now brit... we'll see how they fair in The hills of darkest Beverly.

Sad that i like the old heavy wools and wide lapels... problem is most of the people who like that look like myself are over 70. DQ is targeting the younger audience and that is who they need to stay alive, as long as they don't go too trendy.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, I'm going to be the bad guy... Maybe the suits don't fit the tastes of the lounge but they are very fashion forward. I think it's refreshing to see them trying to push something different. Maybe the cuts and construction isn't what it used to be in the Golden Era, but what I've heard from the Lounge is that few tailors out there do that, even specialty ones... but this is coming from a girl who thinks the new men's coats from Dolce and Gabanna are quite fascinating... so I probably won't fair too well in argument.
I really like this look: http://www.duncanquinn.com/book.php

Vanessa

One Too Many
Politeness also dictates, I would think, that Lounge members don't knock other Lounge member's business establishments.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
And this subject better belongs in this section.

I do think their kit is pretty Michael Caine. Like I said, they are what is in vogue. I like what looks good whether it be Doctor Who or Cary grant, or John Steed.

DQ is more John Steed meets modern Doctor Who. they take bigger risks as well the suit industry needs to do. I liked the look... very fitted and very brit.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Crombie's pandering to market forces...

Crombie of Aberdeen, Scotland (who tailored the Confederate Army during the Civil War, yep!! because the south didn't have any indigenous mills, so got their cloth and tailoring from Scotland), who have clothed Presidents (such as JFK and Eisenhower) and British Monarchs, and probably most famous for their dark wook great coat, are now aiming at the High Street.

Sad but true, I went in the other day and asked about a Pink Safari jacket for men and shorts!! The chap serving said: "It's for the beach sir!!" What a load of poppycock!! They, like many old fashioned gents retailers, are trying to pander to too many markets and in so doing are watering down their hard fought high ground. I just keep seeing this happening time and again. I can understand why they fall into the trap, but it's a short term measure with long term detrimental effects!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That's what I saw at Holland and Holland. Established british hunting attire gone insane rather than eccentric.

I'll go shop to shop when I head to the UK in January. I have some threads to do on what I saw from the "we're still 1980's trad" retailers in New York.

Zegna and Brioni have shops in Beverly, I was hoping Holland would last... We need a Duncan out here though I just hate seeing all the good shops dry out from lack of customers in California.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm not so sure he deserves to, Matt. Look at the images in these:

As part owner in the shop I choose pistols, dawn, 10 paces.

Jest aside (not really.....well maybe:rolleyes: ). The shots on the website aren't a good representation of what we actually have at the shop for suits. We just had it redone and the sentiment amongst ourselves that work there is that it wasn't worth it - that the pictures look cheesy and are too repetitive.

We also had our opening party for our new fall collection last night and while in a different direction from the bright colors and stripes of our past, is pretty good nonetheless. Suitwise I would say that it's our best off-the-peg stuff yet. We have a Prince of Wales three-piece, 2 button, peak-lapel, and the waistcoat has a peak lapel as well. I'll try to get some shot up here as it's a pretty damn good suit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
Holland and Holland went from the country hunter to becoming English Modonna in style.

It was only a matter of time before H&H would begin to smell of Chanel.

Matt Deckard said:
that coupled with the idea that people don't wear suits in LA is what I believe caused the shop to dissapear in short time

I think that the store would be open today had it had a gun room.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Gun room would have been nice yes. Baretta needs to open a shop.

They have one on Madison Ave in NYC. Haven't been in but from what I hear it's pretty impressive and they do have a gun room, which is ironic because it's nigh on impossible to get a pistol permit in New York.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's sometimes better to watch the aponant shoot themself by accident rather than taking on the guilt of killing one you used to trust, very messy for the soul. See "Onegin"... now that is one of those duels that should have been avoided.

Will Duncan Quinn tailor women's attire as well, I have a few ladies inquiring?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Um... I did see that movie. I really hated it, sorry [huh]
I was only joking about the battle... Old guns are just plain awesome. I bought a pirate gun at the Ren Faire...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner