Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero Leather Cafe Racer help needed

jos198

New in Town
Hi All,

Just ordered a cafe racer from Aero. Just wondering if you guys can give some input. I really like the look of this jacket below (J100 Buco style). I was just wondering if anyone knows how the fit will be without Shoulder Gussets and without Bi Swing back. Is it going to feel much tighter? Also is there a reason for the split back, or can i just get it as one piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Three-...ther-Jacket-/171887517967?hash=item28054b610f

I also need help on the sizing. I have a 42" inch chest relaxed. I'm 5'9 and 160 pounds. Aero suggested going with the size 42. I'm just worried about the fit being to loose, i look online and it's saying the armpit to armpit will be around 23 inches. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys. Don't want to mess up my first aero.

Peacoat

Bartender
The CR is supposed to be a tight fitting jacket. 23" p2p is a standard measurement for a size 42 in leather. If you have a leather jacket measure it and see what the p2p measurement is. Depending on the fit, you will have an idea of how the size 42 in the CR will fit. I would trust the opinion of Aero rather than other sources.

Without the bi swing back, Aero will add a bit through the shoulders so you will be able to move freely. It will take a while to break it in. Afterwards the back across the shoulders will stretch a bit to fit your body.

Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the Lounge. PC

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
Did you purchase through Thurston? (the ebay link is they page)
You can do a "fit jacket" through them wherein they will ship you out a loaner to try on. If it fits, you can keep it. If not, or if you want something customized (e.g. single piece back), you mail it back and they get the ball rolling on the replacement.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd check the Aero cafe racer on the Thurston page and see if their sizing advice correlates to yours. Congrats.

jos,

you can get the back as one piece, it's not a problem. Split back first appeared on the Board Racer - a jacket you might consider looking into, if you like the look of a Buco J-100.
http://aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2213
It is essentially a J-100 repro so...

Aero CR comes with a single piece back by default. You can even have the kidney panel deleted, which is something I've seen a few members requested for their jacket.

Shoulder gussets do not significantly affect the fit of the jacket, but the full action back does, especially in the long run, once the leather softens up and relaxes.

As for the fit, I have a 42 chest, and CR size 40 was great for me. Albeit, not for winter layering... Thruston Bros. will recommend you to go with a size 40, no doubt, and that's a good idea as the CR isn't the kind of jacket you're supposed to wear over too many layers of clothes. It's supposed to be a slim fitting jacket. My recommendation is you ask Thruston and order whatever size Carrie tells you should be good for you.

jos198

New in Town
Thanks for sending me the link for that Board Racer. I completely missed it. That's exactly the style that i want. I'm thinking i should go with a 40 also. Are you able to fit anything else besides a t-shirt with it?

Well, if you are going for a Board Racer, I'm afraid I can't help you there as I've never tried this jacket on. I think these run true to size, it is a very fitted jacket, though you really should check with Carrie. I could fit a sweater under my CR, but the jacket was feeling very constrictive. Still, better than an over-sized jacket, eh? :)

GregO

One of the Regulars
I am 5'9" with a 41" chest, and weigh 162 lbs. I have a pretty athletic build -- broader shoulders and slimmer waist. I currently have two Aero café racers -- both regular café racers. They are size 38, and fit wonderfully. I tried the board racer in size 40 and 42. The 40 was WAY too small -- I could hardly get it on, and once I did, I couldn't move my arms. The size 42 board racer fit well in the shoulders, but was much too big in the chest and the torso. In my opinion, the board racer works for very slim guys. If you're built like me, its not going to work.

Honestly, since your height, weight and chest size are so similar to me, I'm thinking that the size 42 is going to be way too big. And I'm also thinking the board racer isn't going to work for you for the same reason it didn't work for me. I would suggest trying a size 40 regular café racer and see how you like the fit. You might even be able to make a 38 work.

I should also add that I had both my jackets made without the biswing back. They are done up like a Buco J100.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
If you're looking at the Boardracer and considering ordering a one-piece back on it, do have a think about that re fit. Aero have said that it is entirely possible, but can mean that it doesn't fit as neatly as the original split-back design allows for.

I don't understand in what way would a center back seam affect the fit of the jacket, and why?

jos198

New in Town

jos198

New in Town
Did you purchase through Thurston? (the ebay link is they page)
You can do a "fit jacket" through them wherein they will ship you out a loaner to try on. If it fits, you can keep it. If not, or if you want something customized (e.g. single piece back), you mail it back and they get the ball rolling on the replacement.

I purchased through the Aero website.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In most Aero jackets (including the slim fit half belt) I get the waist size tapered down one from the chest, I didn't need to in the Board Racer.....is very slim as it it is.

dan_t

Practically Family
Seriously, if you're in the US make full use of the Thurston fit program.
For this kind of money, why risk making fatal fit mistakes when you can be practically certain of the fit?
For us members who are outside of the US, the cost of shipping fit jackets back and forth adds to the overall cost, so it's not quite as simple.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand in what way would a center back seam affect the fit of the jacket, and why?

I agree - unless you're being sewn into the jacket, I can't see how the seam can do any more than a well cut, patterned single piece of leather.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since there are no cinches on the CR jackets, I think the fit through the torso and belt areas are more critical, making a fit jacket even more worthwhile. If the fit is OK in the shoulders and chest but too tight below, Aero can add 1/2" to 1" to each side panel as in my case where I had 1" added to each side panel for a more relaxed fit as I don't ride.

I really like the clean look and fit of no action back or shoulder gussets. However Aero recommends a back yoke in that instance.

Edward

Bartender

It's something to do with the way the panels are cut to shape the jacket... Here's the relevant bit of the blurb from Aero's website:

" The back has a double kidney panel and is cut to fit close to the torso, to achieve this we've had to use a centre back seam, quadruple stitched for extra strength, which follows the contours of the wearers backbone. We are aware that a centre back seam isn't to everyone's liking so we are offering the option of a one piece upper back but one should be aware that this will compromise the close fit of the jacket."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner