Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Langlitz experiences?

My experience is hit or miss. Most times they missed from my personal ordering experience. The one I kept had to be remade and then adjusted twice since the collar was crooked. They spent more time trying to deny that fact and convince me to leave it as is then trying to fix it. Second jacket was a nightmare and fit like a giant, black, leather garbage bag. They refunded me and did not want to make another. I bought a Rainbow Country instead and it fits great off the rack. Go figure.

They try to make you feel bad about complaining about their carless mistakes. I suggest going in person if you really want one or wait and buy a used one.
It’s a good thing you were persistent. I think yours is the finest looking Langlitz I’ve ever seen. TBH, I’ve only seen one or two others that I would consider, but yours is hands down the best.
I’ve only had one Langlitz. A used, 70’s era mid weight, brown Columbia. Next to my Cals it felt like a limp, lifeless sack and I couldn’t fling it off to eBay fast enough.

Flying Monkey

New in Town
It’s a good thing you were persistent. I think yours is the finest looking Langlitz I’ve ever seen. TBH, I’ve only seen one or two others that I would consider, but yours is hands down the best.
I’ve only had one Langlitz. A used, 70’s era mid weight, brown Columbia. Next to my Cals it felt like a limp, lifeless sack and I couldn’t fling it off to eBay fast enough.
I have a brown Cascade that dates from the 70s or 80s and I agree that it's not the most thrilling leather. I live near Portland and have been to Langlitz once to have a repair done and a couple other times to drool on the jackets they have on the rack, both new and used. (They have lots.) I have found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, however I have not had a custom done by them. I would suggest going to their store if you can swing it. You will be able to see and feel the materials they use and decide if its for you. They've been in business for decades and their leather has changed here and there over time. Most of their leather looks really featureless when new, but grains and creases nicely as you keep wearing it. You can also talk to them and try on some of their otr jackets to get the fit you desire. You need to be very specific about what you want. I'm still on the lookout for just the right older Columbia for myself. One of the best crosszips ever imho. Their jackets are quite the fashion thing in Portland, you see them everywhere, even with their high cost (new or used.)

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks Tony. I do really like mine a lot but it was a real ordeal to get things right. I really want some of their competition breaches for riding but they want you to be there in person I think for measurements which makes sense.

I just passed through Nagoya a few days ago and wish I had time to check out Langlitz Japan but did not even really stop there.

I think when Langlitz gets it right, they nail it, but there is a journey involved or I just have shit luck. I am going with the latter.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have owned numerous Langlitz jackets and pants, all secondhand. I've been really lucky with them, the ones I have kept have all fit me very well, and the ones that I've sold on all held their value.

While I haven't ordered new from them, in 2018 I happened to be in Portland, Oregon for a few days, and stopped by the shop to see it in person. It's worth going to see if you can. I was not particularly impressed with the selection of used stuff at the time, the stuff I already had being better, so I managed to get out of there without spending any money.

I have in mind to get a Sidewinder from them if I can find one that fits my body and budget someday.

They are really well made and very comfortable.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
I have 2 from the 60's, a Columbia and a Cascade, and both have amazing leather. They can be found. If I was to get a new one made, the only way I would do it is if it was in person, with a very clear idea of what I wanted beforehand. I'll also say that both styles are motorcycle jackets first, so flexibility and movement hold primacy over aesthetics. That said, when they are dialled in (leather, details, fit), they are hard to top IMHO.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Today I received my custom Langlitz Timberline (straight front zip, Cossack collar) in black goat with brown thread. It came out perfect! I ordered it last April and was fortunate to have the opportunity to stop by the store and get measured in person. Overall it was a great experience, they asked me all the usual questions, talked about the various jacket options, took all my measurements, chose from the various thread color options, handled a number of leather samples in cow/goat,, tried on various fit jackets for length, etc…. wait/delivery was right at 9 months as quoted. I highly recommend getting fitted there in person if possible and if you like thick tough goat skin, Langlitz should be your number one choice.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I received two custom Langlitz jackets last year. Both were made in their standard medium weight cow.

The first was a Columbia modified with no action back and a flat bottom hem (rather than the curved beaver tail). The lengths were all perfect but the body and biceps were quite large. I sent it back, they took a little out of the chest and biceps, and it was still too large. I sold it off.

My second was a zip front Timberline with cossack collar (stand collar) and padded elbows. It turned out much better.

They had my previous measurements, and I was careful to indicate I wouldn’t be layering under the jacket. With the Columbia I had indicated most to be worn underneath would be a light sweater or hoodie. I suppose their commitment is to 100% freedom of movement over that max layer, because I could fit a hoodie, a heavy wool over shirt, and a Filson mackinaw vest all underneath the Columbia and zip it easily.

Although I wasn’t happy with how the Columbia turned out, the Timberline is really a stellar jacket. It’s definitely my personal favorite and a forever keeper.

I wish the Columbia had fit better, been thinking about going back for a better fitting one, or possibly the deaths head cascade in goat.

Some photos for reference

4265E060-36AD-4146-995A-B81AC0F1A394.jpeg
728861CC-AF13-47FE-B24E-7A7BC34DC99B.jpeg
BBE019E4-FB29-42CD-AF09-43E1A74D53FF.jpeg

Columbia just shirt

D0009EE1-1374-4951-96AE-C890BB57860D.jpeg

Columbia hoodie and shirt

1F917B51-40D8-4AE4-A90B-E82EFC5C0DD2.jpeg
44B8A685-4CCA-498A-ACBF-C4DA3A0E874E.jpeg

Columbia ALL THE LAYERS
E2D3D75A-FD47-4648-8EF7-BE8C764D6F49.jpeg
7C5C735E-05C9-4D7A-ABD4-6799236666B4.jpeg
615BFBCA-8D2D-45AF-8ECD-F8ED0EE13144.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D497ACA-02EB-4C16-803C-DD1B2DC71824.jpeg
    1D497ACA-02EB-4C16-803C-DD1B2DC71824.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ that Timberline looks really sharp on you there!

Nice subtle modifications with the elbow pads & V-yoke on the back.

I received two custom Langlitz jackets last year. Both were made in their standard medium weight cow.

The first was a Columbia modified with no action back and a flat bottom hem (rather than the curved beaver tail). The lengths were all perfect but the body and biceps were quite large. I sent it back, they took a little out of the chest and biceps, and it was still too large. I sold it off.

My second was a zip front Timberline with cossack collar (stand collar) and padded elbows. It turned out much better.

They had my previous measurements, and I was careful to indicate I wouldn’t be layering under the jacket. With the Columbia I had indicated most to be worn underneath would be a light sweater or hoodie. I suppose their commitment is to 100% freedom of movement over that max layer, because I could fit a hoodie, a heavy wool over shirt, and a Filson mackinaw vest all underneath the Columbia and zip it easily.

Although I wasn’t happy with how the Columbia turned out, the Timberline is really a stellar jacket. It’s definitely my personal favorite and a forever keeper.

I wish the Columbia had fit better, been thinking about going back for a better fitting one, or possibly the deaths head cascade in goat.

View attachment 483572 View attachment 483573 View attachment 483574

Columbia just shirt

View attachment 483589

View attachment 483586 View attachment 483590

Columbia ALL THE LAYERS
View attachment 483600 View attachment 483598 View attachment 483599

The Cafe Racer looks good. The Columbia... I just don't understand.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised they don't get the fit right with some other material. Maybe you can't do a mock up if it's not leather.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm surprised they don't get the fit right with some other material. Maybe you can't do a mock up if it's not leather.

A potential, if labor intensive (thus cost prohibitive in the West) solution is what I saw at a Savile Row-trained tailor’s shop in India. Because the British fabrics he used had a long lead time should something go wrong, he would do the initial test jacket/trousers with scrap fabric, not necessarily even matching across the whole garment, then he’d proceed to a fitting with the pricey British stuff.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars

View attachment 483572 View attachment 483573 View attachment 483574

Columbia just shirt

View attachment 483589

View attachment 483586 View attachment 483590

Columbia ALL THE LAYERS
View attachment 483600 View attachment 483598 View attachment 483599
For riding I bet that Columbia would fit an armored shirt underneath.

Attachments

• 21B802F5-9C17-4A39-A0F0-8CEF4612EC65.jpeg
    21B802F5-9C17-4A39-A0F0-8CEF4612EC65.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 54

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112