Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWU-45/P pocket

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Recently bought a CWU-45/P - which is actually a very nice jacket, warm and light.
It has a weird detail: a detachable inner pocket, secured with velcro. Anyone know the story behind this? I mean, pockets are nice - but why detachable??

fnoprx

Familiar Face
I will get some pics this weekend. Maybe someone can help me date it - there are no tags, but the jacket has a bi-swing back that seems to indicate that it is a rather early version?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I will get some pics this weekend. Maybe someone can help me date it - there are no tags, but the jacket has a bi-swing back that seems to indicate that it is a rather early version?
It is probably a first edition, which would date it to the late seventies. Not many people collect CWU jackets...at least not yet. But those who do much prefer the older bi-swing version. BTW, I understand the bi-swing was discontinued because it tended to snag on stuff inside aircraft.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As you probably already know, the CWU-45/P and the CWU-36/P replaced the MA-1 and the L-2B...both of which had bright orange liners. Of course, when the older jackets were reversed, their orange liners provided greater visibility to people trying to locate downed air crew. When the CWU-45/P was introduced, it came with a large, orange panel or flag that was designed to serve the same purpose as the orange liners in the older jackets. That panel was kept in a detachable pocket located in the lower left front of the jacket. Oddly, I don't think the CWU-36/P ever had such a panel. I'm not sure why.

AF

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thank you for the pics fnoprx. I have never seen this pocket.

AF
was the pocket a rigger attached pocket or did it come from the factory presewn, or from the factory as an option to be installed in the field?
JZ

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The pocket was in the fist edition jacket. I'm not sure if it was in the second. It was not in later editions. My first edition CWU-45/P has the velcro strips where the pocket attached, but the pocket itself is missing.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
By the way...the second edition CVWU-45/P was out by 1978. If yours is a first edition, I'm guessing it is from 1977.

522430866_o.jpg

AF

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your info! I have never really had any feelings for the CWU jackets - much preferring the look of the MA1. But I must say that the CWU-45/P is a great update of the MA1: very warm and light, better/deeper pockets, and a less baggy fit. Wonder when people will start collecting these...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy