Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

Evian

New in Town
Mine is an original Harley Davidson Panhead jacket with removable sleeves. It has no Harley patches on it. I don't like the newer versions of the Panhead Jacket. There are too many patches on it. I feel like a walking billboard for Harley Davidson. What is your favorite D pocket jacket?

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Buco J-24!

66005_1667887577944_1259942369_1749597_7206293_n.jpg

Timeless! Although this is an original here in the photo, Sally at Insurrection has been working a lot with Will from Aero to get J106s in stock with rust fur collars, sleek J-71 style backs, and even spotting and NOS glass jewels!!! They're going to be the best horsehide 1940s Buco meets Harley replicas in the business! I love the J-24 front! So classic!

bikerpoizun

New in Town
Did the Harley Panhead jacket with removeable sleeves ever have a D pocket? The one that came out in the '90s didn't. There's an old '50s horsehide Harley D pocket jacket on ebay right now that the seller labels a panhead jacket, but I'm not sure Harley used the term panhead even for the motorcycles back then.

Very nice jacket indeed Jon Z. I would have liked to see a cinch belt on the sides though. Is that an oringinal? Its in superbe condition!

As for my favorite D-pocket, its really no contest ;-)

img2583az.jpg

img2603b.jpg

Last edited:

jon z

One of the Regulars
That's one bad ass D-pocket! I wish it didn't have that large action back though...I dislike that feature on the Buco J-24 and J-82s too... Sweet jacket though!
Cheers Mojo1975. Without the bi-swing back it would probably too restrictive as it is a typical vintage trim fit. Your Buco is rockin. I'm into them myself. Here's mine:

Very nice jacket indeed Jon Z. I would have liked to see a cinch belt on the sides though. Is that an oringinal? Its in superbe condition!

As for my favorite D-pocket, its really no contest ;-)
Thanks Pegasus. Cinch belts aren't really needed as this fits like glove anyway so would be purely decorative in this case. It is an original & those pics don't do it any justice. It actually looks far less worn in reality.

I understand your choice of D Pocket as it's your own creation I believe. When will these be available? I'm a great admirer of people like yourself who have the talent to create such works of art. I have a vision of the ideal D Pocket that I'm going to have reproduced but that is likely to be some time in the future yet.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cheers Mojo1975. Without the bi-swing back it would probably too restrictive as it is a typical vintage trim fit. Your Buco is rockin. I'm into them myself. Here's mine:

Great one! We have a guy down in LA do custom NOS spotting with vintage glass jewels and all. When these D-pockets come back, they're simply amazing! Since this is a D-pocket thread, I'll attach a picture of his work. By the way, do you recognize this jacket? I'm sure all of us have a picture of the jacket (minus the belt) that inspired this work in our homes!

164383_1241061883891_1749650710_447709_995791_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this jacket will also be on the big screen on an actor that we all know in theaters soon; that is if it didn't end up on the cutting room floor! Cross your fingers!!!

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nexusvii

madmaxx-d-pocket-02.jpg

nexusvii-madmaxx-leather-jacket-2.jpg

madmaxx-d-pocket-03.jpg

Vintage scarves from Hermes, Chanel and Fendi are used for the jacket’s lining.

madmaxx-d-pocket-04.jpg

Thanks Pegasus. Cinch belts aren't really needed as this fits like glove anyway so would be purely decorative in this case. It is an original & those pics don't do it any justice. It actually looks far less worn in reality.

I understand your choice of D Pocket as it's your own creation I believe. When will these be available? I'm a great admirer of people like yourself who have the talent to create such works of art. I have a vision of the ideal D Pocket that I'm going to have reproduced but that is likely to be some time in the future yet.

That's right Jon Z, the D-pocket picture is indeed my own creation (therefore the smiley after the comment). It is already available as is a café racer and Safari jacket. You're welcome to check out the website and let me know what you think. There's a contact form and e-mail. I'm always looking for feedback from avid collectors.

Actually, I noticed that there's a front belt on your jacket so you're right, no need for a cinch belt. Anyway, enjoy and cherrish your jacket. Its a rare example in great condition.

Regards,
PJ

Last edited:

jon z

One of the Regulars
Mine is a generic jacket (no outlet label) & they do come up on eBay once in a while. There's an identical version with one difference. The woollen lining is green/black plaid & was sold by Sears so it carries their label. By pure coincidence there is one on eBay now.

I've seen you current listing on eBay. Good luck with that. I'll check out your website with interest. Looking forward to your future offerings.

Evian

New in Town
Thanks for the helping hand Dinerman. I wish I could load pictures like that. Do you have to be a paying member of the Fedora Lounge to be able to load images like that?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Other than advertisers I don't think there is such a thing as a paying member. No, all you have to do is either hit the little IMG icon when you post (third icon from the right in the reply toolbar) , or copy the IMG code off your photobucket.

Mine is a generic jacket (no outlet label) & they do come up on eBay once in a while. There's an identical version with one difference. The woollen lining is green/black plaid & was sold by Sears so it carries their label. By pure coincidence there is one on eBay now.

I've seen you current listing on eBay. Good luck with that. I'll check out your website with interest. Looking forward to your future offerings.

Thanks Jon Z. Appreciate the comments. I also saw the Sears Hercules jacket on e-bay but I don't believe its identical to your's. Notice the side entry pocket on the right, the full kidney panel, and the belt that comes out of it directly on the Hercules. Your's is a half belt style in the back and stylewise closer to a Beck / Northeaster flying togs jacket than a Hercules. Also, the Hercules jackets don't have the extra leather patches on the inside armpits. This is a nice detail is better for wear. I own a 1950's Hercules D-pocket with a red quilted lining and its a lovely jacket indeed. But your's is a much rarer beast! Enjoy it and do let me know when you're ready to model one of mine ;-)

Last edited:

dr greg

One Too Many
That 'double-D" you see there, is that an actual vintage jacket?
It's just that I was under the impression the original purpose and name of the "D" was a 'pistol pocket' which was why they are usually on the left hand side and the zip is in the middle....that design would be troublesome for getting one's piece out in a hurry by my estimation....

Vic

One of the Regulars
I don't have a favorite. I love the Trojan and the Buco, as well as repros by The Few, The Real McCoy, Lost Worlds, etc.

The only D-Pocket in my collection is a 50s Sears Leather shop (similar to the Beck). Have to say, I really like that jacket a lot.

Anyway, here are a handful that I like:

jp-trojan-2.jpg

RoadDueler-1.jpg

TrojanBison-4-2.jpg

THEFEW3-1.jpg

j-27buco01.jpg

50chmp01.jpg

rmc-bj4002-050-1-1.jpg

avro-1939himmelbros.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members