DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Lauren Bacall, one of my first Golden Era crushes. She'll be missed.

2. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

It's one sad day after another....one after another..... it never ends ....

I have no words..... other than RIP beautiful Lauren

[​IMG]

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

Yeah! She could smolder like no other...

4. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife One of the Regulars

Praying for the Williams and Bacall families.

5. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lauren Bacall, a true legend. What a sad week this has been.

6. Kirk H.

Kirk H. One Too Many

Wow, I am saddened by the loss of two great entertainers who had brought so much joy to so many. RIP Mr. Williams and Miss Bacall.

7. DecoDame

DecoDame One of the Regulars

Just a handful of Golden Age actors left. That period just inches further out of reach. I know it's the natural order of things to pass, but it's still a very melancholy thing to hear. But man, what a good run, Ms. Bacall had. And a good dame.

(What if Luise Ranier outlives us all?)

8. 1mach1

1mach1

Two great looses back to back. :(

9. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

i just keep thinking of that devilish look and that little "shimmy" Bacall does in "To Have and Have Not". nobody could pull that off better.

10. Old Rogue

Old Rogue Practically Family

Lauren Bacall has always been my favorite golden era actress. I've read that it bothered her through most of her life that she felt she was always in Bogie's shadow. While it's true that I find it difficult to think of her without thinking of him, it's not a case of her being in his shadow. They were equal partners, perfect synergy, neither would have been the actors, or the people, that they were without the other. If I may resort to cliche, the world truly is a little less bright now that we're without Betty.

11. Don Pardo, the legendary voice of SNL, indeed the voice of NBC, has died today in his Arizona home. He was 96. Pardo had been an announcer for NBC from 1944 to 2004.

12. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

I saw this.
    While we can't live forever, 60yrs at the same place is a darn good run.
    Certainly unheard of in these times!

13. And on November 22, 1963, it was the voice of Don Pardo who broke into NBC's regular programming with the shocking news that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. Also according to SNL producer Lorne Michaels, the most exciting moment for the new cast members was hearing Don Pardo announce their names for the first time.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. SHOWSOMECLASS

SHOWSOMECLASS A-List Customer

Jay Mohr has been open about his addiction, anxiety, and other issues. Imagine doing live comedy on TV before a national audience. He stated today on his sports radio show he was always very nervous before the beginning of S.N.L.'s airing. He said, Don Pardo would say to him, "its going to be alright just relax". Jay said, sometimes all we really need to hear are those words.

15. SHOWSOMECLASS

SHOWSOMECLASS A-List Customer

My wife and I visited Colorado in March of this year. As fate would have it, while in a antique store I found a stack of studio souvenir actor cards. I bought every one that had James Garner pictured as Bret Maverick. Not sure why, he was small piece of my young life. Every Saturday afternoon I watched The Lone Ranger & Maverick in syndication at that time. Seems like the Monkey's or H.R. Pufnstuf was on before that.

16. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

Feel there's been too many tributes, but this was one I wanted to hear. He knew the man for so much longer than most were aware. It had to be hard to get up there in front of the world & talk about a friend. I think he did a good job.

[video=youtube_share;4bVgilYncao]http://youtu.be/4bVgilYncao[/video]

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

What's most interesting to me is that when Pardo was first assigned to SNL, he was selected especially for his "camp" value, as an obvious symbol of the 1940s-50s attitudes and mindset that Michaels and his bunch were out to sabotage. But he ended up becoming an institution on that program not because they were ridiculing him but because they ended up admiring and respecting what he stood for. Sometimes sincerity *does* win out over snark.

For me, Pardo will always be the one true voice of "Jeopardy," reminding us that "Questions and answers used on this program are verified thru the current edition of the eleven-volume Grolier Encyclopedia."

18. Heather

Heather Practically Family

That was lovely. Thank you so much for sharing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

20. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, Richard Attenborough, or as my friend and I call him, Roger (from his role in The Great Escape). So many good movies.