Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I just saw this 10 minutes ago.
Truly a huge loss.
One of the rare actors that (in his heyday) could do his own stunts, especially the driving.
We actually slow down scenes in some of his movies and The Rockford Files, to see if it's Garner behind the wheel or not.
Yep, most of the time it's him. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sad. He seemed like a nice man...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While going to college in Calif. On occasions I would
go the Universal Studios in the early mornings.
They were always hiring people for crowd scenes for movies or television.
I met him there,we spoke. He was indeed a nice person.
Not conceited at all.

And to Mr. Bob Hope.

He brought a slice of home during my tour of 'nam.

I will always be grateful to that man.

Last edited:

Heather

Practically Family
While going to college in Calif. On occasions I would
go the Universal Studios in the early mornings.
They were always hiring people for crowd scenes for movies or television.
I met him there,we spoke. He was indeed a nice person.
Not conceited at all.

Very nice to hear :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sad, sad day...RIP James Garner

the best ones are gone.... what is the use anymore :(

Off to lunch - Steve McQueen with James Coburn, James Garner and John Sturges on the set of The Great Escape, June 1962 -

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
But was also brought up watching The Rockford Files.
I found that show when I was in university and I used to watch it in the afternoons when I was living in residence. It's one of my all-time favourite television shows. I habitually wear sports jackets and dress pants in the cooler weather and that choice of wardrobe was heavily influenced by Rockford.

I remember reading (or hearing in an interview?) Garner talking about his bad knees. He'd got them from being on Rockford. Long days on location -- it was a heavily location based show, and was shot for months each year -- standing on concrete sidewalks waiting around for something to happen, often in cooler weather since they used to film in the autumn, ruined his knees. He said he spent the summer months recovering and often had knee surgery. He said you could see in the earlier episodes in the season he could move okay, but later in each season he couldn't run properly and staggered as the gruelling shooting schedule took its toll. One of the prices to be paid for fame, I guess. Showbiz ain't all fun times!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Just an FYI, on Monday, July 28, beginning at 6am EDT (though, I believe there is a TCM West, as well), TCM will show James Garner films for 24 hours.

Here is the schedule of movies:

6 a.m. – Toward the Unknown (1956) – with William Holden, Lloyd Nolan and Virginia Leith

8 a.m. – Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend (1957) – with Randolph Scott, James Craig and Angie Dickinson

9:30 a.m. – Grand Prix (1966) – With Eva Marie Saint, Brian Bedford and Yves Montand

12:30 p.m. – Cash McCall (1960) – With Natalie Wood, Nina Foch and Dean Jagger

2:15 p.m. – The Wheeler Dealers (1963) – With Lee Remick, Phil Harris and Chill Wills

4 p.m. – Darby's Rangers (1958) – With Etchika Choureau and Jack Warden

6:15 p.m. – Mister Buddwing (1966) – With Jean Simmons, Angela Lansbury and Suzanne Pleshette

8 p.m. – The Thrill of It All (1963) – With Doris Day and Arlene Francis

10 p.m. – The Americanization of Emily (1964) – With Julie Andrews, Melvyn Douglas and James Coburn

12 a.m. – The Children's Hour (1961) – With Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine and Miriam Hopkins

2 a.m. – Victor/Victoria (1982) – With Julie Andrews, Robert Preston and Lesley-Ann Warren

4:30 a.m. – Marlowe (1969) – With Rita Moreno, Sharon Farrell and Bruce Lee

Of course, The Great Escape, Support Your Local Sherriff, Support Your Local Gunfighter, Murphy's Romance and Space Cowboys, etc. aren't in the line-up, but this marathon should be good nonetheless.

- Ian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21