Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Ann B. Davis, best known as Alice the housekeeper in The Brady Bunch died as the result of a fall in her home. She was 88.

Alice-the-brady-bunch-12268234-720-480.jpg
:cry:

WH1

Practically Family
She was also Charmaine "Schultzy" Schultz on Love That Bob an early great sitcom.

She was the heart and soul of the brady bunch without alice we wouldn't have learned all those lessons!

...She was the heart and soul of the brady bunch without alice we wouldn't have learned all those lessons!
I recently saw a promo on MeTV for The Brady Bunch in which Barry "Greg Brady" Williams commented on Ann B. Davis. He said the entire cast was very fond of her, but that she was very professional on the set and wouldn't tolerate any fooling around when it was time to work, even from the adult actors. I can't say I was a fan of the show, but I always liked Mrs. Davis.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Baseball legend Don Zimmer has died at 83. After a productive career as a major league infielder with the Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, Reds, and Senators, Zimmer -- who survived two near-fatal beanings over the course of his playing days -- emerged in the 1970s as one of the game's great lifers, serving as a manager, coach, and advisor for various teams thru the end of last season, for a total career extending back over sixty-six years.

We Red Sox fans had a complicated relationship with Zimmer due to various episodes during his years as a manager and coach here, but in the end even we came to respect him for his knowledge, grit and enthusiasm for the game -- and also for being the very last Brooklyn Dodger, a team with which we've always had something of a spiritual connection, to be connected with baseball in a uniformed role.

Baseball legend Don Zimmer has died at 83. After a productive career as a major league infielder with the Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, Reds, and Senators, Zimmer -- who survived two near-fatal beanings over the course of his playing days -- emerged in the 1970s as one of the game's great lifers, serving as a manager, coach, and advisor for various teams thru the end of last season, for a total career extending back over sixty-six years.

We Red Sox fans had a complicated relationship with Zimmer due to various episodes during his years as a manager and coach here, but in the end even we came to respect him for his knowledge, grit and enthusiasm for the game -- and also for being the very last Brooklyn Dodger, a team with which we've always had something of a spiritual connection, to be connected with baseball in a uniformed role.

If there was ever a living, breathing, walking, talking example of a true "baseball man", it was Zimmer. And the fact that every team for which he played, coached, managed or associated, claims him as their own says a lot about the man.

RIP.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Actor and comedian Rik Mayall, star of such shows as The Young Ones, Bottom and Blackadder, has died at age 56
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

0.jpg

I'm terribly saddened by this news. Growing up in the 80s Rik was such a big part of my teenage years with his stuff on the telly: The Young Ones; Filthy Rich and Catflap; Bladder; all the Comic Strip presents stuff; etc. He made me laugh so much I cried many, many times.

Very sad.

Darn! I somehow missed his passing. I sure will miss his mug.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carla Laemmle, niece of Universal Pictures founder Carl Laemmle, has died at 104. As a young ballet dancer she appeared in "The Phantom of the Opera" in 1925, and as a bit actress she appeared in a number of Universal pictures in the 1930s, notably "Dracula," where she delivers the first lines in the film. She dropped out of acting after her family lost control of the studio, but remained a well-known figure on the Hollywood social scene. Late in life she returned to the screen in just-for-the-hell-of-it bit roles, and was an important source for authors and historians studying Hollywood in the thirties.

In recent years Carla Laemmle was featured in several "making of" documentaries that were included as bonus features on a number of classic Universal Studios movie DVD and Blu-Ray sets. To be honest, every time I saw a new one I thought, "Wow, she's still alive?" I met and briefly spoke with her about 10-12 years ago at a special screening of something here in the Los Angeles area, and she was one of the nicest and sweetest people you'd ever want to meet; she certainly had more energy (at the time) than most people I knew that were half her age.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up

"In December 1957, beautiful blonde actress Martha Hyer paid $95,000 for an ultra modern hillside hideaway at 8688 Hollywood Boulevard high above the Sunset Strip. Hyer’s stylish new home proved to be a perfect metaphor for her carefully cultivated on-screen persona – cool, poised, sophisticated and elegant - an image that caused Universal-International to tout her for a time as their answer to Grace Kelly, which, as it turned out, she wasn’t. The problem wasn’t looks or talent, she had both, but for some reason her career never caught fire................................."

neverthless ...

I am sure she is not complaining up there now...she lived a tasty life. RIP MH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy