Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
bless Mickey bless Judy .... bless the past ... do not bless the present....

[video=youtube;2bn0H9igPvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bn0H9igPvw[/video]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
RIP little Irishman.

I heard a Mickey Rooney story the other day that would have had the PC patrol calling for his scalp had they been around back then.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's Dana Carvey talking about his time with Mickey, with the salacious part removed.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wdBea4TAhgY[/video]

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good point Hadley...
Did he last longer than any MAJOR star from that era?
If you think of it, most of the people he worked with in the 30's and 40's, are gone.
RIP Mickey you brought us a lot of laughs. :eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The top box office attraction in America in 1939, as he never tired of reminding people. Not just a great personality, but a real character as well.

As for major stars of the era, I think Olivia DeHavilland is pretty much the last one standing.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Good point Hadley...
Did he last longer than any MAJOR star from that era?
If you think of it, most of the people he worked with in the 30's and 40's, are gone.
RIP Mickey you brought us a lot of laughs. :eusa_clap

I know there are a couple child stars from the silent era that are still with us. But as far as 30's/40's performers, Lauren Bacall springs to mind. Happy she's here. :)

Sad news & made my day a little less bright. RIP Mickey.

I know there are a couple child stars from the silent era that are still with us. But as far as 30's/40's performers, Lauren Bacall springs to mind...
Kirk Douglas is also still alive and kicking. I don't know if he ever attained the "status" of Rooney or Bacall, but he's been active in the film industry since the mid-40s.

Another passing that hasn't yet been mentioned is comedian and actor John Pinette, who was found dead in his Pittsburgh hotel room on Saturday; he was 50 years old. Much of Pinette's humor involved his weight. At one time he reportedly weighed 450 pounds, but had lost 200 pounds in recent years; his comment on this was, "You know how they say in every fat person there's a skinny person waiting to come out? Well, mine came out, and mine was fat." I knew of Pinette primarily through his televised stand-up routines, but he always made me laugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy