Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Surely almost everyone has heard by now, but Casey Kasem has died at the age of 82. This probably comes as no surprise to anyone who has been watching or reading the news lately, considering the highly publicized legal battles between Kasem's daughters and his current wife over control of his health care.

Feraud

Bartender
Stephanie Kwolek, creator or kevlar passed away.
The research that led to Kevlar began in the early 1960s, when women were a rarity in industrial chemistry. Ms. Kwolek was part of a team at DuPont’s research laboratory in Wilmington that was trying to develop a lightweight fiber that would be strong enough to replace the steel used in radial tires.
The work involved manipulating strings of carbon-based molecules to produce larger molecules known as polymers. At one point, in 1964, Ms. Kwolek was struggling to convert a solid polymer into liquid form and finding the results to be a murky disappointment. Instead of the clear, syrupy mixture she expected, the liquid was thin and opaque.
Ms. Kwolek’s peers suggested that the polymer she had concocted would probably not work as a fiber. But Ms. Kwolek persisted. She persuaded another scientist to “spin” the liquid in the laboratory spinneret, a machine used to remove liquid solvent and leave behind fibers.
In “a case of serendipity,” as she put it, she discovered that polyamide molecules in the solution, a form of liquid crystal, lined up in parallel and that when the liquid was “cold spun,” it produced a fiber of unusual stiffness.
When the fibers were tested in 1965, they were found to be five times as strong as steel of equal weight and resistant to fire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/b...of-kevlar-is-dead-at-90.html?ref=science&_r=0

Matt Crunk

One Too Many

I loved him as Tuco, but here's film-noir Wallach in a classic steam-bath killing scene from The Lineup(1958). This scene cracks me up. First of all, silencers DON'T WORK on revolvers because sound comes from the cylinder gap, not just the end of the barrel. And secondly, fire and extremely hot gases are also expelled out the cylinder gap when a revolver is fired, which would feel none too good just an inch away from a bare belly. Hollywood.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152367945915077&l=6243075746441515375

Last edited:

Veronica T

Familiar Face
Tommy Ramone. 1949 January 29 — 2014 July 11.

律子 / Ritsuko of Osaka Ramones / 少年ナイフ (Shonen Knife) covers 「Sheena Is A Punk Rocker」:

[video=youtube;xT4i22et1Ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT4i22et1Ss[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran