Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Mrs. Dubcek (Third Rock from the Sun - one of the greatest shows ever) has died:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...arie-wendel-dies/ar-BBKWHq9?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Elmarie Wendel:

BBKWENe.jpg
BBKWK16.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Battle of Britain RAF Spitfire pilot Geoffrey Wellum dies, 20th July, 2018.
Mary Ellis, one of the last surviving female Second World War pilots, has died at the age of 101.
Mrs Ellis flew more than 400 Spitfires during the war, delivering the machines to the frontline.
She died at her home in the Isle of Wight on Tuesday. Mrs Ellis had only attended the Mayfair premiere of the Spitfire film two weeks ago.
She was also invited to 10, Downing Street in May for a reception recognising the Army and Navy’s contribution in the formation of the RAF.
Nick Bunting, secretary general of the Royal Air Forces Association, said: “We were saddened to hear of the death of Mary Ellis. She was an incredible lady who didn’t let the comments of her male colleagues deter her from flying, which she loved. Our thoughts are with her family at this sad time.”
Mary was a pilot with the AFA. Air Transport Auxiliary, but more often known as: Anything to Anywhere.

The Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) was a British civilian organisation set up during the Second World War and headquartered at White Waltham Airfield that ferried new, repaired and damaged military aircraft between factories, assembly plants, transatlantic delivery points, maintenance units (MUs), scrap yards, and active service squadrons and airfields, but not to naval aircraft carriers. It also flew service personnel on urgent duty from one place to another and performed some air ambulance work. Notably, some of its pilots were women, and from 1943 they received equal pay to their male co-workers, a first for the British government.
mary ellis-1.jpg
mary ellis-2.jpg

Margot Kidder's death has been officially ruled a suicide. "Park County [Montana] Coroner Richard Wood said in a statement that Kidder died May 13 in her Livingston home 'as a result of a self-inflicted drug and alcohol overdose.'” Margot Kidder's daughter Maggie McGuane "Told The Associated Press Wednesday that she knew her mother died by suicide when she was brought to Kidder’s Montana home in May, and that it is a big relief to have the truth out."

She was born in 1930; hence, despite playing the mother in "The Godfather," she was only ten years older than James Caan (who played her oldest son). For the record, her other children, Michael (played by Al Pacino) was also born in '40, Fredo (played by John Cazale) was born in '35 (a five year spread) and Connie (Talia Shirer) in '46.

Obviously, actors play different ages and the story moved through many years, but still, Morgana and Cazale were only five years apart which is closer than the eight years spread between Cary Grant and the actress who played his mom in "North by Northwest."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
When I first heard "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" as a child the song struck me like a thunderbolt. This line in particular still brings tears to my eyes...

"They say 'it's a man's world'... but you can't prove that by me...."

Good lord what a voice. Later in years I discovered more of her repertoire... not a big fan of her Jazz works but my friends who're jazz heads say that she more'n held her own. Her gospel work however... that is impeccable. This is my fave.

"The old Landmark"

Before we as slaves were allowed to have physical churches we used to meet at landmarks. This ladies and gentlemen is the true bed rock of we who are darker than blue.

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think we missed a significant one from the Era recently -- film star Mary Carlisle died August 1st at the age of 104.

Carlisle was a WAMPAS Baby Star of 1932 -- and was in fact the last surviving performer to have earned a WAMPAS recognition. Her career revolved around ingenue roles, marked by pleasant performances opposite Bing Crosby in several of his Paramount features of the 1930s, but for the most part she worked as a lead actress in B pictures before retiring in 1943.

Carlisle was, as far as I can tell, the last surviving American star to work in films as an adult before 1935.

vlcsnap-2015-02-02-20h17m29s152.png

Old rock n roll players dropping like flies...

Guitarist Ed King passed away at 68. King started out in the 60s, forming the psychedelic rock band The Strawberry Alarm Clock, and wrote their biggest hit "Incense and Peppermints" before moving on to his greatest fame as early guitarist for Southern Rock pioneers Lynyrd Skynyrd. King will forever be known for penning the most iconic D-C-G riff in rock history with "Sweet Home Alabama".

I had the pleasure of meeting King once, and though he was the only Skynyrd not from the South (he was from California), he was a true Southern gentleman, one of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met.

RIP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21