DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Kirk H.

Kirk H. One Too Many

I just saw that..R.I.P Bandit

2. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Very sad now!

3. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I was somewhat saddened to hear of Mr. Reynolds' passing, but I can't say I was too surprised. Having seen him on television occasionally over the last few years it was obvious he had some health issues and he looked surprisingly frail. Still, by all accounts he had a good sense of humor about himself and his career and claimed to have more fun than anyone else in Hollywood regardless of his successes and failures, so good for him. Rest in peace Mr. Reynolds.

Frunobulax and Lean'n'mean like this.
  4. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Missing him already.....I still can't believe he is gone... such a main part of movies in the 1970s.....handsome.... funny.....RIP Burt! RIP..

....wow....can't believe it..sad

[​IMG]

with Bertha

[​IMG]

5. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Mixed feelings on Reynolds... loved his serious work "Deliverance" and "Boogie Nights"... I even liked "The Longest Yard". The rest of his work I'm actively trying to forget along with much of the 70's. Disco, urban cowboys, C.B's radios, trucker chic and every other fad that came along during that decade makes my skin crawl. Most of decade I spent in uniform or school so I didn't catch the complete brunt of it but I lived through enough of it to hate it with a passion. Still... he did it his way.

Worf

6. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Yeah, I can't say that his departure means very much to me either. He made a few worthwhile films, but most of his work was dreck, and I was pretty much immune to his alleged star power.

Worf likes this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think of him more as a definitive figure of the 70s rather than a performer whose specific work made an impact on me, although "Deliverance" is, indeed, a hell of a picture. But as a celebrity/cultural icon/National Hunk, he's as definitive to the '70s as Gable was to the '30s or Clooney was to the '00s.

That said, I was surprised to hear he died, because I didn't realize he was still alive. It's always jarring to hear a name you haven't thought of in years popping up again in that context.

Edward, Worf and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I think part of what we liked about those "dreck" movies is that he and his costars just seemed to be having so much fun. So we had fun watching.

Plus we owe him for this alone.

[​IMG]

Gidget Grows Up.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

In one of the online articles I read about his passing they quoted him as saying that was pretty much his goal during the 1970s and 80s--to have fun and make some money. He also said it was only after he'd been in some bad movies and his demand had dwindled that he finally decided to take his career as an actor seriously, but by then no one wanted him. By all accounts he didn't have fun working on Boogie Nights (1997), but after it was well received and had earned him Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations he credited his performance in the movie and it's director Paul Thomas Anderson for giving his waning career a much needed boost.

Fading Fast and Frunobulax like this.
  10. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

American rapper, Mac Miller, was found dead in his home yesterday, probably from a drug overdose. He was 26.

11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Elizabeth Joan Winch (14 August 1930 – 6 September 2018), known professionally as Liz Fraser, was an English actress, best known for her comedy roles as a provocative "dumb blonde" in British films of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Liz was a rare talent, she played mostly comic roles but she was also in demand for period drama like Foyles War. Rest in peace Liz.
    liz fraser.jpg liz fraser2.jpg

Rmccamey, MisterCairo and Lean'n'mean like this.
  12. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch One Too Many

urt Reynolds. Who else could have starred in a movie titled "Stroker Ace"?

13. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Reynolds and Brando....two drops of water....can't make them apart

[​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  14. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

I watched "I dream of Jeannie" everytime in the 90s on german tv in the afternoon, after primary school.

Bye, Major Healey. :(

MisterCairo likes this.
  15. Doctor Strange

HadleyH1 likes this.
  16. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

American ballet dancer, dancer, choreographer, artistic director & co-founder of the 'Dance Theatre of Harlem' ...Arthur Mitchell, died yesterday, aged 84.

17. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Whether Chas and Dave were known outside of the UK, I know not, but Chas Hodges has passed away, he died from cancer.
    A statement on their official Twitter account said: “It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the passing of our very own Chas Hodges. “Despite receiving successful treatment for oesophageal cancer recently, Chas suffered organ failure and passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of this morning.” The duo created their own unique style known as rockney, which with mixed the pub singalong, music-hall humour, boogie-woogie piano and rock 'n' roll. Hodges was described as a "legend" and a "lovely, lovely gentleman" as stars paid tribute.

MisterCairo likes this.
  18. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

RIP, Marty Balin.

MisterCairo likes this.
  19. Doctor Strange

That is, "RIP founding Jefferson Airplane singer Marty Balin".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/obituaries/marty-balin-dead.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...irplane-guitarist-marty-balin-dead-76-730912/

Marty Balin was a very talented songwriter and performer who always remained closer to his folk roots than the rest of the band. Jefferson Airplane was the classic example of a band that broke up because it was stuffed with too many really talented members, all with strong personalities and differing temperaments.

Mae, Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.