Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

"Champagne dreams and caviar kisses." For many years, Mr. Leach would come to Dayton for the Air Show. There was a time when a local broadcast station would cover the entire thing on Saturday from about 11AM until 4:30-5:00. Mr. Leach sat in the host/color commentator seat for many of those years. He was a consummate professional announcer and very entertaining.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Unless I am missing something while accessing from my BlackBerry, how is it possible that it takes a Canadian to note that John McCain has died, aged 81? Surely to god this isn't a political commentary...

3fingers

One Too Many
Many of the deaths listed here are not well covered in the media.
Like him or not, McCain's will be covered ad nauseam for days.
As far as the political commentary here goes, why sail into torpedo water if there isn't a compelling reason to?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
This is a thread for notable passings. It is not limited to the obscure. Spare me. And damn the torpedoes...

Many of the deaths listed here are not well covered in the media.
Like him or not, McCain's will be covered ad nauseam for days.
As far as the political commentary here goes, why sail into torpedo water if there isn't a compelling reason to?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think as long as human beings remain human beings there'll be a place for the kind of sincere character comedy that Neil Simon represented. He and George S. Kaufman will still be performed, somewhere , by someone, as long as there's an English language.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1940s starlet Gloria Jean has died at the age of 92. She was only thirteen years old and already a trained operatic soprano when Universal signed her to be "the next Deanna Durbin." Instead she turned out to be a reliable female lead opposite such disparate personalities as Bing Crosby, W. C. Fields, Olsen and Johnson, and Groucho Marx. Her career faded out in the 1950s, although she worked sporadically in television into the following decade, but she enjoyed a bit of a revival in the 1990s as a popular guest at nostalgia conventions and film screenings.

Fields+and+Gloria+Jean.jpeg

(Contrary to old Bill's image, they got along just fine.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto