Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Not many know that Grace Slick was a CO-lead singer for the band.

Balin spent years explaining to fans during his solo years that "no, I wrote that song, NOT Slick..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainme...ounder-obit-1.4843831 Marty Balin far left-
marty-balin-lawsuit.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
RIP, Charles Aznavour.
Yes indeed:
French singer and songwriter Charles Aznavour has died at 94 after a career lasting more than 80 years, a spokesman has confirmed.
The star died at one of his homes in the south east of France.
The performer, born to Armenian immigrants, sold more than 180 million records and featured in over 60 films.
He was best known for his 1974 hit She and was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2017. Aznavour married three times and had six children.
He was named entertainer of the century by CNN in 1998.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yep, the French singer, song writer, composer,poet & actor, Charles Aznavour has departed, aged 94.
Fortunately he has left us an immense discography to accompany us as we travel the road to extinction.
Merci pour ces moments, Charles.

Last edited:
Actor Scott Wilson, known for his roles in In the Heat of the Night, In Cold Blood, and more recently as Hershel Greene in the television series The Walking Dead, has died at the age of 76. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports he died due to complications from leukemia. For many years Wilson was one of those "that guy" actors whose career had it's ups and downs, but he worked fairly regularly on both television and movie productions since 1967.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was saddened to hear about his death. I only really knew him from Walking Dead, but have of course seen him before without realizing it, given his great body of work.

Actor Scott Wilson, known for his roles in In the Heat of the Night, In Cold Blood, and more recently as Hershel Greene in the television series The Walking Dead, has died at the age of 76. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports he died due to complications from leukemia. For many years Wilson was one of those "that guy" actors whose career had it's ups and downs, but he worked fairly regularly on both television and movie productions since 1967.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I only just heard about this. Another great talent Beatles has died. Geoff Emerick, who worked with George Martin and the Beatles for several years, collapsed and died, aged only 72.

He was a true pioneer in his field, and one of the first engineers to receive album cover credit. It was proposed for his work on Revolver, but it was "circled" and marked with a question mark, and not included. If I recall correctly Sgt Pepper was his first album with his name credited.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/obit-geoff-emerick-beatles-1.4835823

Emerick 1.jpg
Emerick 2.jpg

I saw In Cold Blood as an adolescent, and was gobsmacked when it was pointed out that was him in that film. He was great in Walking Dead (insert Herschel Walker joke here).

Here he is on Justified, in the best slow motion chase scene since OJ.

[MEDIA]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Not many know that Grace Slick was a CO-lead singer for the band.

Balin spent years explaining to fans during his solo years that "no, I wrote that song, NOT Slick..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/marty-balin-jefferson-airplane-cofounder-obit-1.4843831 Marty Balin far left- View attachment 137689
I thought the Airplane a much better group before Grace Slick joined them. Their first album with Signe Anderson (I think) sharing vocals was their best...it was downhill from there. I saw them in Seattle in the "White Rabbit" heyday and the audience rained boos down on Slick when she jambed out on the high note at the end......"feed your head".......she could not hit it live. Of course they were on the counter culture shit list for "selling out" and doing the Levis adverts as well.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Paul Allen, 65, co-founder of Microsoft, owner of the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers, of cancer.

Never a fan of Microsoft and Bill Gates, I had enormous respect for Allen's talents. Much like Steve Wozniak was the technical genius behind Apple, Paul Allen was the wizard who wrote an 8080 emluator on a VAX so that Gates could write his BASIC interpreter. A far more prodigious feat, if your ask me.

His death, and the long illness he experienced before it, remind us that mortality renders us all equals. R. I. P. Mister Allen.

^^^

True indeed. All those billions, one of the largest yachts in the world, and nothing could prevent the lymphoma from coming back. Gates and Ballmer should hang their heads in shame for the way they treated Allen back in the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/paul-allen-microsoft-dead-1.4864160

As with Steve Jobs, we see again that incredible sums of money do not buy a get out of life's challenges / struggles / problems free card. Yes, gobs of money can help - while that, usually, also make new and different problems - but money is just one piece of the very complicated puzzle of life.

Veteran actor James Karen died on October 23rd at the age of 94. According to the New York Times the cause was "cardiac arrest caused by respiratory difficulties". Karen made his Broadway debut in Elia Kazan's 1947 production of A Streetcar Named Desire, but worked steadily over the years and later appeared on television in shows Car 54, Where Are You?, The Streets of San Francisco, Dallas, and M*A*S*H, and in movies All the President's Men, The China Syndrome, Poltergeist, and the ever popular Return of the Living Dead and Return of the Living Dead II. Karen once acknowledged his status as a "that guy" actor by saying, "People don't know my name, but they know my face because I've done so damn much work."

Peacoat

Bartender
Tony Joe White, singer/songwriter died of an apparent heart attack on Wednesday, October 24. He was 75 and living in Leiper's Fork, a rural suburb of Nashville. Born in Louisiana, Polk Salad Annie (1970) was his first hit.

Tony Joe's songs have been recorded by countless greats, including Elvis, Dusty Springfield, Ray Charles, Waylon Jennings, Tina Turner, Conway Twitty and Brook Benton (Rainy Night in Georgia, 1970).

I saw him in concert in Nashville, when he was one of the performers on the show. Such an odd presentation. He did his several songs seated on a stool facing away from the audience. Never did figure that out. The friend I was with, later said to make it even odder there was a small TV on that he evidently was watching. I don't remember seeing the TV, but I do remember him doing Poke Salad Annie.

R.I.P. Tony Joe White.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21