Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Roy Clark, country guitar virtuoso, 'Hee Haw' star, has died

Publicist Jeremy Westby said Clark died Thursday due to complications from pneumonia at home in Tulsa, Okla.

Clark was "Hee Haw" host or co-host for its entire 24-year run, with Buck Owens his best known co-host. The country music and comedy show's last episode aired in 1993, though reruns continued for a few years thereafter.

https://katu.com/news/entertainment/roy-clark-country-guitar-virtuoso-hee-haw-star-has-died

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed Hee-Haw as a child. I was never a country fan but I dug the comedy. Roy, Buck and friends, and of course, the Canadian content:

CF.gif

I enjoyed Hee-Haw as a child. I was never a country fan but I dug the comedy. Roy, Buck and friends, and of course, the Canadian content:

View attachment 144562
Brings back great memories of watching Hee Haw with my grandparents. The show was filled with cheese and some really good artists. They were good times well spent with two of my favorite people.
:D

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
No you're not. My father bought home some paperback repro's of the classic pulp heroes. Through him I learned of The Shadow, Doc Savage and last but not least "Conan the (fill in the blank)". Lancer was republishing all the old saga's with fantastic Frank Frazetta covers. I was hooked. I packed my bags and headed for the Hyborian Age. While I was busy buying all the Lancer books I could find I discovered that Marvel, my comic brand of choice (Merry Marvel Marching Society Member) was doing a book on Conan... The art of Barry Windsor Smith combined with Howards words... turned the mind of a Black Kid in the NY City Projects... inside out! "Red Nails" "The Black Hounds of Vengeance"... god what work! So no you're not the only lover of Marvel's Conan series.

As an aside I was never a Stan Lee worshiper.. I just considered him more of friend than a god. But lord knows I'll miss him. So sad he couldn't see or hear how great his hero's had become.

Worf
Same here, the Lancer paperbacks of Conan with the Frazetta covers were also my entry into a grimmer, rougher-edged world beyond Barsoom, Pellucidar, Atlantis, and all the rest.

Edward

Bartender
Without doubt the single most influential figure in the comics industry with the exceptions of Siegel and Shuster, and an unforgettable personality in his own right. What comes next is a really ugly battle over his estate and the rights connected to it, a battle likely to make the Siegel and Shuster litigation look like a card party.

Nuff said.

I was kind of hoping they had canned a couple dozen cameos for the future.

"Purveyor of American Mythology."

RIP, Stan. Thanks for Spidey and all the rest. Ya done good.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I read last week that they filmed his cameos in batches, and so have something like four in the can for the films scheduled for next year's shoots.

If memory serves, since Raimi's 2002 Spiderman[/l], the only one I don't recall him in at all was...Logan?

True story: In the early 1960s as a child of about ten, living in Bangkok, Thailand, I would routinely visit a local store that carried American and British comic books. A dollar back then would go a long way in Thailand, so I would often trek home with a handful of comic books. Marvel was just breaking out, and one of the comics I regularly purchased (including the debut) was The Amazing Spider-Man. Curious about some of the symbolic artwork Steve Ditko employed, I wrote a letter to Marvel.

Much to my surprise, Stan Lee replied to my letter! He answered my question and thanked me for writing. My letter was also published in a later issue.

This kind of personal touch may not be practical in this day and age, but it left a lifelong impression on a starry-eyed ten year-old!

Hope you still got that!

If memory serves, since Raimi's 2002 Spiderman[/l], the only one I don't recall him in at all was...Logan?
I hadn't thought about it before now, but I believe you're right. Director James Mangold has stated his goal was to make Logan a "standalone" movie that did not have to continue previous storylines or set up a sequel, so Mr. Lee's absence may have been part of that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My favorite Stan Lee cameo actually predates all the superhero flicks: 1995's Kevin Smith comedy Mallrats. While still a cameo, it's more than a quick gag, he actually serves a narrative function.

Present at a comic book store event, he gives one of the characters good relationship advice and signs off with, "As long as you keep reading 'em, I'll keep writing 'em!"

BTW, am I the only one that thought Logan was overpraised? It was an okay autumnal X-film, a bit more serious and downbeat than the others, but it didn't strike me as some kind of masterpiece, and six months later I can barely recall what happened in it. (But of course, I am a tough room!)

...BTW, am I the only one that thought Logan was overpraised? It was an okay autumnal X-film, a bit more serious and downbeat than the others, but it didn't strike me as some kind of masterpiece, and six months later I can barely recall what happened in it. (But of course, I am a tough room!)
Yes. Yes you are. :D

But seriously, I was more impressed after the first time I saw it than after the three or four repeat viewings since. Not that it didn't "hold up" reasonably well for me, but it's a bit like saying Transformers is the best "giant robot" movie; it's arguably better than many in the genre, but ultimately it's still just another in a long line of "hero with extraordinary abilities" movies.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well, though I believe it was overpraised, I do like Logan better than most of the X-films. A very uneven series, to say the least. It peaked early with the great X2. I thought the last "mainline" X film, Apocalypse, was a total mess. Logan is Shakespeare compared to that one!

The Boston Globe had a fascinating point-counterpoint feature over the weekend debating the nature of Stan Lee's legacy. I lean toward the "positive" side myself, but there are also some interesting counterarguments concerning the juvenilization of modern pop culture.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mo...adolescence/uDMFRGTgX0dYo7y43m3KxI/story.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...dern-marvel/EkntJqLoUVMqwvbAEixihP/story.html

Interesting articles - thanks for posting.

3fingers

One Too Many
but there are also some interesting counterarguments concerning the juvenilization of modern pop culture.
I was never really interested in comic books as a child, so my experience is limited. My youngest son went through a few years of obsession with them so we often ended up at the local comic book store. I was taken aback at how many cases of arrested development I saw there. It is one thing to enjoy comics, quite another to not be distinguishable from a 12 year old except by a receding hairline and a pot belly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo