Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Carlos "Peter" Masterson, director, playwright and actor, has died at 84. He co-wrote The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas play, father of Mary Stuart Masterson, and acted in The Exorcist and In the Heat of the Night.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/obit-masterson-peter-1.4954896

obit-peter-masterson.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Longtime pro-wrestling announcer "Mean Gene" Okerlund has died at 76. If you've ever watched any TV rassling at all over the past forty-five years or so, you know who he was, and he was astonishingly good at his job. Being a good straight-man is the hardest thing to do well in all of professional comedy, and Oklerlund never falled to carry off the role. He was an extremely funny man without ever once actually trying to be. I didn't particularly care about wrestling as such, but I'd tune in from time to time just to hear a complete pro doing his job.

Longtime pro-wrestling announcer "Mean Gene" Okerlund has died at 76. If you've ever watched any TV rassling at all over the past forty-five years or so, you know who he was, and he was astonishingly good at his job. Being a good straight-man is the hardest thing to do well in all of professional comedy, and Oklerlund never falled to carry off the role. He was an extremely funny man without ever once actually trying to be. I didn't particularly care about wrestling as such, but I'd tune in from time to time just to hear a complete pro doing his job.
If you had asked me, I would have said he was already gone. Many a Saturday morning spent with Mean Gene.

I really gotta start that wrasslin' thread.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daryl Dragon (The "Captain" of The Captain and Tennille) dead at 76. I was not a fan of their music, but did attend a concert at the insistence of my high-school girlfriend. We were on the front row and were spotlighted while Toni Tennille sang their cover of "Muskrat Love". So ... thanks for that memory Captain. R.I.P.

They say it comes in threes, but not usually all on one day.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Einstien boys had another notable brother -- Charles Einstein, one of the best sportswriters of the 1960s.

Their dad had one of those classic showbiz deaths -- he collapsed and died on the dais at a Friars Club roast, after doing a devastatingly funny routine. If you have to go, that's the way to do it.

The Einstien boys had another notable brother -- Charles Einstein, one of the best sportswriters of the 1960s.

Their dad had one of those classic showbiz deaths -- he collapsed and died on the dais at a Friars Club roast, after doing a devastatingly funny routine. If you have to go, that's the way to do it.
Something, something, John McSherry, something, something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner