Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Bob Sheppard, who became the PA announcer at Yankee Stadium on the same day in 1951 that Mickey Mantle made his debut in pinstripes, died yesterday at 99 years of age. He was still working games until three years ago, and Derek Jeter has been using Sheppard's recorded introduction for his at-bats ever since Sheppard left the booth.

http://bit.ly/c67rGs

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
There were a couple of notable passings today, the one I'll mention is Tuli Kupferburg. Among many other things, Tuli was a founding member of the Fugs. Who/what are/were the Fugs yoiu may ask? Well you might. They were a totally gonzo folk/rock/acid stoner "band" that flourished for a short time in Greenwich Village at the height of the 60's. "Kiil For Peace", "Group Grope" and "Boobs a Lot", were among their biggest (?) hits. Saw them in the Village in 1966. Yes, I'm an unreconstructed hippy at heart. Lettin' my freak flag fly for a day at least.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/tuli-kupferberg-poet-and-singer-dies-at-86/

On the BroadSide label. I saw Weaver ,Tuli and Sanders on a late night talk show maybe Snyder. They said that although they weren't musicians they went to a club and the music was so banal they needed to make music you could dance to. So, enter the fugs.

Feraud

Bartender
Katzenjammer said:
Harvey Pekar of American Splendor fame. Darn it.
Aw bummer.

George Steinbrenner passed away.
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/07/steinbrenner-suffers-heart-attack/
New York Yankees principal owner George Steinbrenner reportedly suffered a heart attack this morning. The 80 year old Steinbrenner, who paid $10 million for the team in 1973, was vilified in the press in his early years of owning the iconic franchise for meddling too much. Yet Steinbrenner may go down as the greatest owner in baseball history. Under his reign the team has won 11 pennants, 7 world championships and is now worth $1.6 billion, almost twice the value of the New York Mets. More important, Steinbrenner rebuilt the Yankee brand, which had been debased during the years CBS owned the franchise (Steinbrenner is the only owner to pay less for an MLB team than his predecessor) but is now worth $328 million, making the New York Yankees the most valuable sports brand in the world. Steinbrenner also had the foresight to leverage that brand into building the most valuable regional sports channel in the country (YES Network) and joining forces with the Dallas Cowboys to create Legends Hospitality Management, a stadium services business.

Hondo

One Too Many
[Feraud]Aw bummer.

George Steinbrenner passed away.

More than "bummer" dude, I'll remember him for Catfish Hunter, Thurman Munson, Billy Martin (twice or was it 3rd?), Reggie Jackson, This was Pro Baseball ...
for me as the greatest era, Remember Miller Lite beer commercials?
This was some of the greatest Yankee teams, he wasn't the best owner.
He just took the best players, he will be missed an end of a era.
RIP George :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This is the time to focus on George's bright side......though he certainly had a dark side, which is awfully hard to ignore.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
About 20 (or more) years ago, I saw Mitch crossing 6th Ave, near Carnegie Hall. He was pretty crippled up, and using aluminum crutches. I said "Hi, Mitch!" and he returned a very cheerful "Hi!". I suspect he was one of those people who enjoyed every second of his long life.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
skyvue said:
Bob Sheppard, who became the PA announcer at Yankee Stadium on the same day in 1951 that Mickey Mantle made his debut in pinstripes, died yesterday at 99 years of age. He was still working games until three years ago, and Derek Jeter has been using Sheppard's recorded introduction for his at-bats ever since Sheppard left the booth.

http://bit.ly/c67rGs

You may not believe this but it's true. Mr Sheppard was my speech teacher when I was at John Adams High School in NYC. He was a great teacher and gave me some pretty good grades.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
About 20 (or more) years ago, I saw Mitch crossing 6th Ave, near Carnegie Hall. He was pretty crippled up, and using aluminum crutches.
It was around that time I saw him at Lenox Hill Hospital while visiting my sister who'd just had her first baby. My brother in law made mention of following the bouncing ball and he smiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy