Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Durning was also a highly decorated D-day vet. Every year he headlined the Memorial Day Salute here in DC. RIP - he will be missed.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
RIP ....Charles Durning, each new day brings another loss :(

SCAN0049_086.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Fontella Bass died Wednesday of complications from a heart attack suffered several weeks ago.

She had some R&B hits in the 50s, and had a crossover hit with Rescue Me in 1965. She was 72.

Peacoat

Bartender
Some speculated, based on his popularity he would be the next president after GW Bush.

And the same was said of Colin Powell, who thought better of the idea.

Fortunately for General Schwartzkopf, he also decided not to run. The press would have killed him. For some funny reason he thought he outranked the fourth estate.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One reason why the Lindbergh case is still generating controversy is that Schwarzkopf Sr. allowed Lindy himself to basically run the investigation until the baby was confirmed dead -- thus preventing authorities from intervening on either of the occasions when the ransom intermediary met with the presumed kidnapper. If detectives had followed "Cemetery John" on either of those occasions, there would be no debate as to his identity. But Schwarzkopf Sr, like everyone else in the case, was in awe of Lindbergh and allowed him to dictate the way in which the case would be handled. Lindy was a great aviator but he was a lousy cop.

The kid did have rickets -- but so didn't millions of other kids in 1932. It was very common in the days before the importance of Vitamin D was understood.

As for Hauptmann, I used to think he was framed -- but the more I read about the case, the more convinced I am that he, in fact, was guilty.

Huell Howser who profiled California's people and places (including many Golden Era places) on public television for some two decades died yesterday. He was 67

[video=youtube;ImpGsMenmSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs[/video]

Last edited:
Huell Howser who profiled California's people and places (including many Golden Era places) on public television for some two decades died yesterday. He was 67

[video=youtube;ImpGsMenmSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs[/video]

Truly sad news and so young just 67, I met him when I arranged for the Fountain Pen Club episode.
I was watching from the start with Videolog, then Visiting and on to California's Gold. We joked about the whole History / historic approach of Huell but he made both local and faraway California so interesting. He did a lot to make California home for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael