Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to admit that I was surprised that she was “only” 82.
maybe it was the bad special effects in one million years b.c., but she struck me as already golden era when I was a kid. Anyway, may she rest in peace. She certainly was an icon.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, she was definitely an important figure to lots of us guys in the sixties! I was 11 when I first encountered her on the big screen in Fantastic Voyage.

RaquelWelchFantasticVoyage.jpg

I recall that one of the reviews at the time called her appearance in that wetsuit, "the most pneumatic thing that's ever appeared onscreen"! Of course, she turned out to be more than just a sixties sex icon and gave some memorable performances.

Hail and farewell!

Addendum: Some great pics here:

Last edited:
Yeah, she was definitely an important figure to lots of us guys in the sixties! I was 11 when I first encountered her on the big screen in Fantastic Voyage.

View attachment 489998

I recall that one of the reviews at the time called her appearance in that wetsuit, "the most pneumatic thing that's ever appeared onscreen"! Of course, she turned out to be more than just a sixties sex icon and gave some memorable performances.

Hail and farewell!

Addendum: Some great pics here:

[/URL]

I was probably 7 when I saw FV with my dad. Never looked at barnicles the same again.

The one that impressed me, though, was Kansas City Bomber, with Kevin McCarthy. I thought she gave a strong performance there.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The novelist John Jakes. He wrote some wonderful historical fiction - The Kent Family Chronicle and the North and South trilogy, both which were made into miniseries (and reduced to costume dramas for the most part). Fantastic writer.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/john-j...a***rd-north-and-south-miniseries-1235299200/

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid in the 60s, the daredevils we had were lionized and romanticized. Astronauts, of course, but we had Evel Kneivel, Mario Andretti, and others. One thing that caught the fancy of many youngsters and others was what was going on at the Bonneville salt flats.

I remember the Green Monster and the Blue Flame, and of course the Spirit of America. The driver of that car, Craig Breedlove, wgo pushed it to over 600 mph, has passed away at 86.

Godspeed, sir.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/09/obituaries/craig-breedlove-dead.html

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dame Mary Quant passes away at age 93.
She launched the miniskirt that became the emblem of London’s Swinging Sixties.
I suppose we could say that she helped kill the Golden Era, but more likely she just gave voice to the spirit of the times around her.
It is kind of fun to watch the swinging sixties clips that accompany her obituaries. From my jaded perspective, it looks like a more innocent time.
R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65265531

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou